Photos Cold Steel for utility vs weapon knives ?

There's lots of "family resemblance " between the AD10 , 4 Max and the Ultimate Hunter .

But the Hunter has a cool orange handle and I got it for $85 (open box sale) ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

There is a lot of family resemblance in those three models. I used the UH for outdoor work periodically for a couple of years now. Very comfortable, holds a good edge with the xhp blade and as strong as I would ever need a folder to be. Stronger than 90% of the knives I ve bought over the years, maybe 95%! And lighter than the AD10 and Vmax. All are great knives, but for my needs, the excellence of the Ultimate Hunter is keeping me fro buying the other two. And with MAP it may never happen.

Couple of recently acquired Cold Steel knives that don't appear especially "tactical " and are very competent , all around work/ utility capable :

American Lawman and Ultimate Hunter .

Throw in the Recon1 and you ve got my three favorite CS knives for work. And three of my top five work knives of any brand.
"Tactical" may be a marketing ploy, but as hard use work knives, these are nearly unbeatable. Mine still lock up as tight as the day I bought them, after some pretty hard use.

When it comes to self defense, most people are not trained or on a mission to use a knife. A good practical knife (e.g. Cold Steel large or XL voyager) will do quite well and be much more defendable with the police or the court than say, a CS Ti Lite. :eek: Just my .02.

Your Ti Lite or XXL Voyager isn't a factor.
In most states, as long as you can prove you believed your life, or the life of another was in danger, deadly force is justified.
The type of knife (or gun) is irrelevant, and has never been a deciding factor in court.

Cold Steel has made a specialty of advertising their knives as weapons, and produces also quite a lot of dedicated weapons (swords, battle axes, sjamboks, bowies,...). However, their offering includes also a host of very sound, serviceable and durable knives (fixed and folding) for a very affordable price. Pocket Bushman, Western Hunter, Long Hunter, Roach Belly, Pendleton Lite Hunter, Finn Bear, Canadian Belt,... and some others, too, probably. But these I have and they were cheap, are fun to use, dependable and still going strong with minimal care (the occasional strop, and that's it). I was quite impressed with my Western Hunter I use mainly for cutting bread on a bamboo board (yikes !). After a year or so, I decided it could need a strop and just to make an experience I stropped it only on my finest rubber rust eraser. A few passes and it actually shaved hair. Not bad for lowly Krupp 4116 steel, heh ?

Last edited:
The type of knife (or gun) is irrelevant, and has never been a deciding factor in court
I'm afraid you are VERY wrong. :rolleyes: A Sebenza used for defense vs a Ti Lite or a .22 bolt action rifle vs an AK 47 will definitely be a factor in the mind of the police and the DA and, most especially in any civil action taken.

[The type of knife (or gun) is irrelevant, and has never been a deciding factor in court]
This sounds so wrong, that I could ring the WRONG bell.

I'm afraid you are VERY wrong. :rolleyes: A Sebenza used for defense vs a Ti Lite or a .22 bolt action rifle vs an AK 47 will definitely be a factor in the mind of the police and the DA and, most especially in any civil action taken.
I think the pocket knife issue might be a bit overblown. While non knife people might find a certain type of knife, probably based on size more than anything else, alarming, in the eyes of the law, circumstances of the use matter the most. Severe injury with a screw driver carries the same risk as severe injury with a Military. Theoretically.

since I brought up the ti lite I do like it and it is very good at cutting zip ties and fixing motorcycle wiring in and it gets in small hard to reach places better than my buck 112 and other blade shapes I have used also you can use it for removing excess gasket paste off engine's in small gaps or hard to reach places which there is plenty of on motorcycles I also use it as a general pocket knife stuff
I can see what both sides are saying but in a garage there is me and my 10 stone german shepherd kaos (street shark )and plenty of bigger better tools to hit and intruder or intruders with than any folder i can think of
I think the ti lite looks good and it's a good tool for what I use it for

Last edited:

I'm afraid you are incorrect.
This is a myth.

I challenge you to cite one time in the history of the US that this has ever been an issue in criminal court.

Tactical-schmatical ...

My Cold Steel knives are tough, durable work horses that have never let me down.
DISCLOSURE: the 40Max, AK-47, Recon-1 and American Lawman folders haven't gotten anywhere near the use, abuse and tough duty that my close-out sale AUS-8 Voyagers have gotten; they've held up very well - thank you!

I do have an old Carbon-V Master Hunter, as does ny son, and they have held up well and perform wonderfully despite less than a pampered life. Likewise for the SK-5s I have - great knives!

I don't do your research. :rolleyes: Also, please learn to read a full post-Civil actions can be VERY costly. :(

I can't cite something that doesn't exist.
You made the claim.

You mean frivolous civil suits by criminals commiting deadly violent acts against their victims after they get shot/stabbed?
Yeah good luck with that.

^^^I'm sure it is fun living in your fantasy world; that is , until you are one of the few who suffers the consequences. :( I hope you are never one of them. :rolleyes: Over and Out.

^^^I'm sure it is fun living in your fantasy world; that is , until you are one of the few who suffers the consequences. :( I hope you are never one of them. :rolleyes: Over and Out.

It's called reality.

I asked you to show one single example of your claim.
You can't.
It's never ever happened.

As far as a civil suit goes, good luck.

Anyone can TRY to sue for anything.
Winning said suit is another story.

Fear of a frivilous lawsuit is not a reason to be an under armed victim of a violent attack. That's just crazy talk.

If your weapon is legal, and you legally possess it, and you use it legally for self defense, you are good to go.
Keyword: legal.

Caliber of round, or "scariness" of tacticool blade is irrelevant if it's legal to possess and carry.

Disclaimer: I am referencing US citizens on US soil.
I'm pretty sure you can get arrested for defending yourself in your own home with a screwdriver in places like the UK.

I live in the UK and we can use reasonable force to defended ourselves and you can't own any object if you intend to use it as a weapon against humans

Last edited:
In most states, as long as you can prove you believed your life, or the life of another was in danger, deadly force is justified.
The type of knife (or gun) is irrelevant, and has never been a deciding factor in court.

[The type of knife (or gun) is irrelevant, and has never been a deciding factor in court]
This sounds so wrong, that I could ring the WRONG bell.

I'll ring it. Jarred Ha. Self defense with a karambit against a larger attacker. Clear case of self defense when all the facts came out (namely that Jarred had attempted to flee, and when this was impossible resorted first to hand to hand fighting, and did not pull out his knife until Graham was bashing Jarred's head into parked vehicles, and even then did not aim his slashes at Graham's vitals). But the facts were initially suppressed by the courts, and Ha was presented as the aggressor, and his karambit was used as supporting evidence. Because it clearly is the knife of someone out looking to hurt others.

Last edited:
[Because it clearly is the knife of someone out looking to hurt others.]
And here you have it in a nutshell. Daggers, karambits, fixed blades... it's all subjective, of course. But ruling out perception of those who are going to judge you (and send you to jail or not) is just silly.

Exactly. Courts are only as impartial as the officers and administrators thereof. But Jarred Ha was found not guilty, $80,000 later, thanks to his family knowing capable lawyers.

That said, I don't believe in carrying knives as weapons for self defense. I live in Canada where carrying anything as a weapon is interpreted as being a purpose dangerous to the public peace, and considered by the "Crown" to be unlawful. A good tactical flashlight, however, does not fit the definition of weapon in the Canadian Criminal Code:

Criminal Code said:
“Weapon” means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use

(a) in causing death or injury to any person, or
(b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person
and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm.

A tactical flashlight can serve to disorient and distract, especially in darker settings where an assault is more likely to occur. As well, used preemptively, it is a deterrent, as criminal violence usually occurs as an ambush by a scavenger looking for weak and unprepared prey. A tactical flashlight screams "I am aware and prepared", and if it were deployed immediately upon seeing dark silhouettes, or upon the request for the time or some change, would likely lead to far fewer instances of criminal violence, or the need to use force in self defense.

I carry knives as tools, and because they are cool. And if a predatory animal (such as might be encountered on my dark cycling commute) suddenly set upon me with intent to make a meal of me or because I unwittingly disturbed its activity, I have five inches of penetration available to me via a modded, waveable Cold Steel Voyager XL.

I would, and probably will carry a karambit (of my own making) as a box cutter.

Back