Cold Steel opinions wanted

Recon 1 is one of those knives that does everything well. It also captures the spirit of Cold Steel.

I find most if not all of my Cold Steel folders to be rock solid and very high value. The heat treat is also spot on. I have not experienced chipping in the S35vn or the CTS-XHP.

All models mentioned earlier are also very good.
Aloha Molokai,
What is the model in picture 7 that appears to have metal handles? Code 4?

Last edited:
Aloha Molokai,
What is the model in picture 7 that appears to have metal handles?

Code 4 in CTS-XHP. The scales are narrow, so it carries in pocket well, but it is a large folder and performs well.

The clip is not factory, but it does come with a clip from Cold Steel for each side.

Please ignore the grubby blade. This was after a day of cutting plants.

76331B4B-25C9-40B7-A425-634A2198C393.jpeg 85685E5A-AB0B-43C5-8C16-238ED49B2D77.jpeg

you can sand down under the clip or bend the pocket clip and other modifications, being careful sanding g10.....follow proper safety gear and controls........but its silly that about every other maker has mastered a proper pocket clip but cold steel.

I posted this a while back. A few years ago a friend of mine went to SHOT show and actually met Lyn Thompson. Said he was the nicest guy, was having a blast just like everybody else there. No sign of the guy we we see in the videos.

The subject of the clips came up and Lyn explained it very handily and in a way that made perfect sense. He knew that a lot of his knives were put immediately to work (let's be honest; they are pretty for their spartan utility value, not for their elegance) by law enforcement, military, professional hunters/hikers/outdoor guides, workmen, etc., and not seen as collector's pieces. They are to be clipped to packs, utility belts, tool belts, hiking gear, military gear, gear straps, pack straps, all manner of deployment gear, and on and on. A strong, tight clip was requested by those folks.

Since it is easy to bend a pocket clip, he felt like it was easy to bend one. However... no so easy to tighten one up. When out in the field a real user may not have the time or proper equipment to remove the clip, bend it, then test it, then bend it again until it was just right. But using a trick I learned here (and have used it on all my CS knives since it was posted on BF) you can slip a couple of coins under the clip and leave it overnight to loosen it up. For me, my last CS (the Bush Ranger) took 3 quarters, but it is now perfect in my jeans. (I carry the knife for my construction duties).

Acknowledging the fact that everyone knows that G10 is easy to sand, he felt like the most aggressive G10 models (such as my Lawman) can easily be sanded to user preference. OR, they can be left as is and be more of a sure grip when being used in rain, with sweaty hands, or when using while wearing gloves. When the weather is bad and I know I am working outside, I truly appreciate the grippy G10 on my American Lawman.

Robert

That explanation for tight pocket clips makes sense. I have adjusted all my cold steel knives, and sanded as well, and it's not difficult.

I only have 3 however. AD10, 4max Scout, and an SR1 Lite. All three are great! The 4max is probably my favorite beside being huge and heavy. It carries better than you think it would, it's ergonomic, and it's a straight up beast. The ad10 is easier to carry, very comfortable to use, and being hollow ground it can slice with the best of them. The sr1... Its ridiculous. 5mm thick blade stock! It's totally a "do stupid things with" knife. For 50 bucks it's perfect. Doesn't cut as well as the others but it will cut, and it's probably indestructible.

I want an ad15 one of these days, and I hope they made an AD20 as well. So I vote for 4max Scout! So much value!

My hang up with cold steel is their gaudy words and numbers stamped on the blade like : AD10 or AMERICAN LAWMAN. I prefer a sterile blade or very minimal markings. Just makes it feel like a gas station knife ....I'd rather spend my money on spyderco. Similar pricing

I posted this a while back. A few years ago a friend of mine went to SHOT show and actually met Lyn Thompson. Said he was the nicest guy, was having a blast just like everybody else there. No sign of the guy we we see in the videos.

The subject of the clips came up and Lyn explained it very handily and in a way that made perfect sense. He knew that a lot of his knives were put immediately to work (let's be honest; they are pretty for their spartan utility value, not for their elegance) by law enforcement, military, professional hunters/hikers/outdoor guides, workmen, etc., and not seen as collector's pieces. They are to be clipped to packs, utility belts, tool belts, hiking gear, military gear, gear straps, pack straps, all manner of deployment gear, and on and on. A strong, tight clip was requested by those folks.

Since it is easy to bend a pocket clip, he felt like it was easy to bend one. However... no so easy to tighten one up. When out in the field a real user may not have the time or proper equipment to remove the clip, bend it, then test it, then bend it again until it was just right. But using a trick I learned here (and have used it on all my CS knives since it was posted on BF) you can slip a couple of coins under the clip and leave it overnight to loosen it up. For me, my last CS (the Bush Ranger) took 3 quarters, but it is now perfect in my jeans. (I carry the knife for my construction duties).

Acknowledging the fact that everyone knows that G10 is easy to sand, he felt like the most aggressive G10 models (such as my Lawman) can easily be sanded to user preference. OR, they can be left as is and be more of a sure grip when being used in rain, with sweaty hands, or when using while wearing gloves. When the weather is bad and I know I am working outside, I truly appreciate the grippy G10 on my American Lawman.

Robert
i disagree with about everything in your post. i was gonna type it all out, but I don't care enough.

As others have said, can't really go wrong with any Tri-Ad model. I've carried the Grik for a few years and it's a great little knife (3"). I've recently added a Code 4 and GoldenEye to the rotation. Both very nice, but I seem to favor the GoldenEye a bit more. Almost identical blade (both drop points) in a slightly smaller package, and the thumb ramp works great.

Ultimate Hunter and AD10 are also great choices if you don't mind them being bulkier (but also more comfortable to use). I actually prefer to carry the AD15 to the AD10 due to being a bit less bulky, but it's not a Tri-Ad lock.

Hi, big knife snob here. I like high end customs, and very well made (in the US) knives. Most days, I'm carrying something expensive. That, and about three bucks will get me coffee in any lowbrow joint, so I'm content with that. I have made fun of Cold Steel in the past, like many folks.

However: I love Cold Steel knives. I LOVE Cold Steel knives. Lynn Thompson? A buffoon, but if you've ever met him, and really talked to him then it kinda clicks. Dude is a clown for sure, but he genuinely loves all the people loving his company's knives (and all the other stuff they make). He's a big kid, and I just can't fault him for that. I remember meeting him at BLADE 2017. I walked up with a pretty negative image of him in mind because I'd seen all his Youtube videos, seen a lot of the comments here, and was ready to be unimpressed. Instead, we wound up talking about knives for like 45 minutes. The look on his face whenever some fan would come up and gush about this or that knife that saved their day, or that they've horribly abused, and it's been fine just made his face light up. Sure, I've made fun of him in the past, and will poke fun at him again in the future, but it seems like he's having fun at least and he seems like a decent guy who's really into theatrics. :D

Anyway, the knives. My EDC knives consist of excellence from guys like Olamic, Dozier, Shiro, Diskin, Zinker, and so on, but if I'm going to be working in the garage, outside, or going camping, or wherever I think there might be a chance I need to have a knife I can drop out of a plane and the thing survives? I bring one of my Cold Steels. The AD10, AD20, Ultimate Hunter, Code4(s), Recon 1, Tuff (and Mini) Lites, Finnwolf, the several Voyagers I've had (their AUS-8 was GOOD) and a few I'm probably forgetting, have all served me well. Thanks to Andrew Demko, they have some of the best ergos on the planet, and last couple years when they were all coming in XHP or S35vn, they were VERY hard to beat for the money.

Criminy, I might need to buy another one soon.

Recon 1 is one of those knives that does everything well. It also captures the spirit of Cold Steel.

I find most if not all of my Cold Steel folders to be rock solid and very high value. The heat treat is also spot on. I have not experienced chipping in the S35vn or the CTS-XHP.

All models mentioned earlier are also very good.

Man, I think I'm going to need a Lawman. I've never had one, because I always went for their larger designs, but I really like the looks of them.

Ever thought about putting a radius on the edges of your Code 4 scales? It might help comfort in the hard cuts. Also, the large Voyager can be modded to be quite a bit less bulky by grinding the handle undersize to expose the liners, and if you straighten the spine by removing the clip, all of a sudden it becomes a poo man's Triad locking Military.

I had not thought about modifying the Code 4. Instead I thought to leave it intact in case I decide to sell it later. Maybe it deserves a second look.

As for the Large Voyager, I only question the bulky handle when debating whether to carry it to the office or around town. When I'm out in the brush I have no issue at all, in fact on occasion I've carried it in lieu of a fixed blade (a choice which I previously thought heretical).

I gave my Recon 1 to my son and keep my Lawman in the car for emergencies. Both are great knives (CTS-XHP) and the Tri-Ad lock is awesome. Had to tweak the clips on both as they were way too tight -- just took them off, clamped them in a vise and gently bent them a tad.

I have 4 CS knives with Tri-ad Lock:
Working Man, Voyager L, Code 4 and a Mini Recon 1. Other than the issues folks have mentioned about thumb strength, the Triad is a great lock. I really enjoy my Mini Recon 1. I bought it second hand and the previous owner had filled some of the G10 roughness with an epoxy. It now has the perfect amount of grip for me.

I'm a little sad the Mini Recon 1 got discontinued and never got the uprade from AUS8 steel that so many other Cold Steel models enjoy.

I have 4 CS knives with Tri-ad Lock:
Working Man, Voyager L, Code 4 and a Mini Recon 1. Other than the issues folks have mentioned about thumb strength, the Triad is a great lock. I really enjoy my Mini Recon 1. I bought it second hand and the previous owner had filled some of the G10 roughness with an epoxy. It now has the perfect amount of grip for me.

I'm a little sad the Mini Recon 1 got discontinued and never got the uprade from AUS8 steel that so many other Cold Steel models enjoy.

The Mini is supposed to be coming back in 2021...hoping uncoated, and at least AUS10, if not S35VN.

I like Cold Steel in general. Their knives are pretty good. Their swords not so much as far as historical accuracy and quality. I have a Recon 1 Tanto micro. Great little blade. I also have their 3 inch counter point. I really like it as well. I had a mini AK47 folder but I gave it away because the handle design was not very confortable in my opinion. I also have a vintage Scimitar folder that I keep for display only.

I have at least one version of all of Cold Steel's XL folders. They're all excellent. I have minor problem with some of the pocket clips. They're just too tight.

The Tri-ad lock can be good or bad, and with Cold Steel it's usually bad -- difficult to close.

However, the AD 10 is an excellent knife. The Tri-ad lock on this model is easy to open and close.

The Tri-ad lock can be good or bad, and with Cold Steel it's usually bad -- difficult to close.

To be fair, I think "usually" should be "sometimes" or "often in the past, but not as much lately".

Back