Cold Steel Recon 1 : The knife that saved my life

D8dXIqv.jpg

This blade is one of my most valued possessions and it will always go everywhere with me
This blade Saved my life.
(Warning this story may be something you may not want to read , it involves defense against a dog (Did NOT kill the dog , the dog does not die.)

Last December I had a pitbull , my mom's boyfriend at the time raised him , and raised him mean , he was very protective of my mother. We had just taken him to the vet , he was very aggressive against other people and against me if my mom was in the room. He was shook up from the visit and was acting really skiddish taking him to the car. We drove home and he acted fine , he was licking my face and everything. We get out of the car to go into the house and he started to jump on my like he wanted to play. All of the sudden he latched on to my arm and was biting down as hard as possible , it was what you would call the "Lock jaw" that pit bulls are known to do. I started punching him in the eye and nose like I've always heard to do against them if they bite. It wasn't working and at this point he was starting to shake his head and rip my arm , I knew if I didn't do anything quick I was going to be done. I then deployed my Recon 1 and stabbed him in the back (Only place I could reach) and it was enough for him to let go, I had just a split second to get out off of the porch before he was up and still coming after me. Luckily he didn't know he could get out of the porch , my mom's boyfriend had trained him to stay on the porch.

If it wasn't for my Recon 1 I might be dead , or at the very least lost my arm. After all of this happened I looked around the porch and there was not a thing I could have used. Something was looking out for me that day , and I can't think Cold Steel enough for making this knife. I loved that dog , and he was a sweet little thing when my mother was never around , I don't know why he did what he did but I hate what I had to do and would take it back if I could, but what happened happened. It could have happened alot worse than it did though , if he would have attacked me in the car there would have been nothing I could do , and possibly my mom would have lost her life as well.

Anyway , I just wanted to share my story , if anyone here is considering buying a Cold Steel knife DO IT , because I had to depend on my Recon 1 and it was there and performed.

Fack! That's messed up! Glad you're ok.
Scenarios similar to this often play through my mind when I'm outdoors with my little boy and I notice an un-leashed dog coming towards us....

Yeah , one time when I was running my usual jogging route an unleashed pit came up towards me , I was freaked out.

Pitbulls are notorious for that kind of thing. I think they should be outlawed. I had to shoot a dog when attacked by a pack out walking and a cop I know had to do the same when a pack attacked his wife. My neighbor's wife and 1 year old child were attacked by two pitbulls and only this kind of intervention saved their lives. It is almost always someone's pet dog or dogs involved. When we had our farm, packs of pet dogs would roam and kill cattle for fun, and even got after people until they were thinned out and people stopped letting them loose.
I am glad you are okay. Without that knife things would have only gotten worse as it is in the genes of these dogs.

Pitbulls are notorious for that kind of thing. I think they should be outlawed. I had to shoot a dog when attacked by a pack out walking and a cop I know had to do the same when a pack attacked his wife. My neighbor's wife and 1 year old child were attacked by two pitbulls and only this kind of intervention saved their lives. It is almost always someone's pet dog or dogs involved. When we had our farm, packs of pet dogs would roam and kill cattle for fun, and even got after people until they were thinned out and people stopped letting them loose.
I am glad you are okay. Without that knife things would have only gotten worse as it is in the genes of these dogs.
Do you also think black people should all be locked up because statistically they commit more crime than other races. It's not pit bulls it's how they're raised by their owners. The sweetest dog I've EVER met is my buddys pit bull. They get a bad rep due to being popular with shitty pet owners. That said its entirely appropriate to use lethal force against an aggressive dog of any species.

What happened to the dog if you don't mind me asking. Probably a good idea to have it put down.

There are no bad dogs. Only bad dog owners.

A good owner will put down a dog if they failed to train it properly and it proves to be dangerous and unpredictable.

Yeah , the dog would have been a great dog if he was raised right , I blame my mom's ex for doing things to him to make him mean. I've only met one friendly pit bull in my life , a regular at the place I worked owned it and would bring it in time to time.

To those of you that think pit bulls are the problem, you are wrong and it is an ignorant way to think.
I have found little ankle biter types of dogs like chihuahuas to be far more aggressive than pit bulls, but you never hear of chihuahua attacks because they don't do much damage.

I am an owner of a pit bull, she is the sweetest dog I have ever owned or met, absolutely loves all people and I have never seen her act aggressively towards people.
She certainly has the capability to hurt someone, she is very strong and when we play tug of war with her rope it's like tugging against an alligator, but I trust her completely around my wife and two year old son.
I worry about the cat scratching him more than the pit bull.
I have met many other pit bulls that share similar behavioral traits as my dog does.

I work with local dog rescues and also assist a K9 dog trainer from time to time, it's not the breed that's to blame, it's the reputation that attracts the wrong types of owners.

As for the op, glad it didn't turn out worse than it did, I enjoy cold steels products but don't see where almost any other knife wouldn't have done just as well in the same situation.
I can see why that knife would be special to you now, I have knives that hold sentimental value that far outweighs the monetary value.

I'm glad your OK and I had a similar scenario happen when I was jogging my usual route.

My neighbor's pitbull (who is known by our community to be very aggressive towards runners) decided it would break the screen door out and run after me up the road.

Thankfully I had my para 2 on my hip and I stood my ground... It lunged at me and I swung my knife. Thankfully I didn't make contact and the dog decided to jump back and take off running instead.

I have told the owner numerous times to keep there main door shut, as woman and teenagers jog this route all the time. It's sad but eventually either the dogs gonna attack the wrong person (who has a defense tool on them), or its gonna kill someone and they'll have a lawsuit and a person's death on there conscious.

Either way if you raise a dog to be protective, its gonna be protective and can snap at any time. There just acting out what they've been taught.

Just even more reason I will never leave my house without a knife.

Glad your OK

I won pitbulls and my dogs would never do that. its all in how dogs are managed. my dogs are rescues have very bad past. but they are great dogs and for anyone that's got a problem with pitbulls... well you know where to shove it.

glad you are ok sounds like a horrible experience. but not all pitbulls are like that. and the locking jaw is a myth a german shepherd has a stronger jaw than a pitbull. no dog has a true locking jaw our jaws are actually stronger than theirs. now a shark that has a locking jaw.

I love internet threads about pitbulls or anything that media has made sheep to think what they want them to. I also never understand how humans, especially men, cant defend themselves from dogs.

This thread wont last long.

Hey asshole I lived with this dog for 4 years and he was a beautiful and loving dog , at least to my mother and I.
Yeah pitbulls can be great dogs , but like the people above have said , it's about how they're raised , and mine wasn't raised around alot of people , plus my mom's boyfriend at the time we got him trained him to be aggressive. It's hard telling what he used to do to the dog when we weren't home. After he left we got stuck with the dog , my mother and I loved him and since he was so aggressive against other people we couldn't give him away. I don't hate pit bulls , and I don't think they're evil.

I also tried what I knew what to do against the dog to "Defend" myself , and it didn't work , I did what I could only think of to do , he was about to rip my damned arm off and I'm not exaggerating. I did defend myself , and neither of us died , the wound the dog sustained could have been fixed and most likely was. I had to go to the hospital so I didn't get to see exactly what happened after everything went down. You should be more considerate before you post. You might think you have it all thought out , but in the moment it actually happens would you know what to do?

Hey asshole I lived with this dog for 4 years and he was a beautiful and loving dog , at least to my mother and I.
Yeah pitbulls can be great dogs , but like the people above have said , it's about how they're raised , and mine wasn't raised around alot of people , plus my mom's boyfriend at the time we got him trained him to be aggressive. It's hard telling what he used to do to the dog when we weren't home. After he left we got stuck with the dog , my mother and I loved him and since he was so aggressive against other people we couldn't give him away. I don't hate pit bulls , and I don't think they're evil.

I also tried what I knew what to do against the dog to "Defend" myself , and it didn't work , I did what I could only think of to do , he was about to rip my damned arm off and I'm not exaggerating. I did defend myself , and neither of us died , the wound the dog sustained could have been fixed and most likely was. I had to go to the hospital so I didn't get to see exactly what happened after everything went down. You should be more considerate before you post. You might think you have it all thought out , but in the moment it actually happens would you know what to do?

My apologies on such a "short" post. I have three pitbulls and dont plan on ever stopping the rescue/adoption of the breed. My current male has a bad past and sometimes forgets that I am dominant over him, but he remembers pretty quick. And yes, I do know what to do in that situation, but not all are the same you are correct. I would post a picture of one scar I have from my current male but its a bit too close to the danglers if you know what I mean (I almost lost the left one!).

My frustration comes from people saying that a certain breed is bad and should be outlawed.

Saying pit bulls should be outlawed is ridiculous, ANY breed of dog can be aggressive. Do you think they pop out the womb vicious dangers to all life ? Humans are aggressive and dangerous to animals and other humans should humans be outlawed and banned? Do a little research about the tempermant of pit bulls and you be surprised to find out there the most loyal loving creature out there. It takes ALOT to change that. Better yet raise a pit bull puppy up yourself and find out they make the best companion.

I'm glad your OK and I had a similar scenario happen when I was jogging my usual route.

My neighbor's pitbull (who is known by our community to be very aggressive towards runners) decided it would break the screen door out and run after me up the road.

Thankfully I had my para 2 on my hip and I stood my ground... It lunged at me and I swung my knife. Thankfully I didn't make contact and the dog decided to jump back and take off running instead.

I have told the owner numerous times to keep there main door shut, as woman and teenagers jog this route all the time. It's sad but eventually either the dogs gonna attack the wrong person (who has a defense tool on them), or its gonna kill someone and they'll have a lawsuit and a person's death on there conscious.

Either way if you raise a dog to be protective, its gonna be protective and can snap at any time. There just acting out what they've been taught.

Just even more reason I will never leave my house without a knife.

Glad your OK

Make sure to report every incident with a vicious dog. It is much easier to do something about a dog when there is a pattern of reports.

Firstly, comparing dislike for pitbulls to racism are ridiculous. Humans and animals are two different things entirely and it's an apples to oranges comparison.

I was a distance runner in college and am now a cyclist and I have been attacked by pitbulls on four occasions. Twice I had mace on me, once I had to climb a tree (there were two), and once I was able to defend myself with by kicking the dog. I would not have felt at all bad about killing an animal intent on ripping me to pieces had I been armed. Do I think all pitbulls are vicious? No, but I do think they have a tendency toward aggressive behavior. Any dog can turn, and I'm sure the owners play a big role with many pitbulls, but my personal experiences have led me to avoid them as far as pets are concerned.

Humans are dangerous to other humans and animals more so than pitbulls. Disagree if you like that's your opinion your entitled to it. I disagree with your opinions, oh well.
Firstly, comparing dislike for pitbulls to racism are ridiculous. Humans and animals are two different things entirely and it's an apples to oranges comparison.

I was a distance runner in college and am now a cyclist and I have been attacked by pitbulls on four occasions. Twice I had mace on me, once I had to climb a tree (there were two), and once I was able to defend myself with by kicking the dog. I would not have felt at all bad about killing an animal intent on ripping me to pieces had I been armed. Do I think all pitbulls are vicious? No, but I do think they have a tendency toward aggressive behavior. Any dog can turn, and I'm sure the owners play a big role with many pitbulls, but my personal experiences have led me to avoid them as far as pets are concerned.

Truth is some dogs are screwed in the brain from birth just like people. Bad inbreeding is a major cause.

Back