Cold Steel Recon 1 : The knife that saved my life

Glad you're ok. We had a mean dog in our area that chased my son.after several calls to the police and no action taken. I broke the owners jaw and told him everytime I see his dog loose I will break his jaw again.... it was never loose again.

Youre lucky you had that recon 1:).For any kind of self defense, if fixed blade wasn't available Id take Some of Cold Steel folders with triad lock over any other folding knives.

Years ago my sister was walking our family dogs and a german shepherd that this older couple let roam around the yard attacked her.

Its really just bad dog owners that pick guardian breeds and dont receive the proper training with them.

Glad you're ok. We had a mean dog in our area that chased my son.after several calls to the police and no action taken. I broke the owners jaw and told him everytime I see his dog loose I will break his jaw again.... it was never loose again.

Awesome! Sometimes people just don't get it. He does now obviously.

I love dogs, have two, and have met some great pit bulls. So I don't think you can condemn a whole breed, but one also cannot argue some breeds act with more reckless abandon than others do. Chows are known to often be one-person dogs, which is great if you're that one person but beware if you are not! Surprisingly enough, Dalmatians one has to keep an eye on also. They are very protective.

However, whatever dog (or coyote, or anything) that chases me or mine is risking getting a real nice broadhead through it pronto the next time it acts like that, or chases a neighbor kid. It's not the breed. It's an individual case basis. And threats need to be removed.

I'll bet six-foot spiders would have open season on them until all of them were eradicated. And I'll also bet some people would think they were cool. Until their kid ended up in a cocoon.

I am not comparing pit bulls to six-foot wingspan spiders, let me be clear on that. But I sure would rather have a mean wiener dog after me than a pit bull or other dog capable of doing real serious damage like in the case of the OP. GLAD you were prepared, and your mother's old boyfriend needs his jaw broke, too.

So glad to see that you´re ok! Dogs are dangerous animals indeed. Last year a local man was mauled to death by a pitbull, the guy was strong and in spite of that, the dog was able to kill him. I have been harrassed by dogs while jogging and walking, that´s why I always carry a neck knife. Not the best thing to have because of the limited reach tho, but it certainly is a last ditch resource if need be. It was a really good thing that you could open your knife with just one hand. That´s the reason I prefer a fixed blade over a folder. I guess there are some ambidexterous p.k.´s that perform just as well.

I was bitten 3 times as a child by strange dogs yet I love and had dogs till I moved to College. Back in 2006 I had to kill a pit that was running at me 3 days after a Major Car Wreak and I could barely walk. Sadly it left me with 2 Choices Kill it or get mauled.

I think it would have been better to slash the dog rather than stab it. The dog survived so I don't really mind it as much, as well I'm sure you were just reacting and I surely wouldn't have known to slash instead of stab the dog in the heat of the moment.

Also, this "lockjaw" thing about pit bulls is a myth. There is no such mechanism in pit bulls (or any breed for that matter) which would allow them to lock their jaw.

Pitbulls are notorious for that kind of thing. I think they should be outlawed. I had to shoot a dog when attacked by a pack out walking and a cop I know had to do the same when a pack attacked his wife. My neighbor's wife and 1 year old child were attacked by two pitbulls and only this kind of intervention saved their lives. It is almost always someone's pet dog or dogs involved. When we had our farm, packs of pet dogs would roam and kill cattle for fun, and even got after people until they were thinned out and people stopped letting them loose.
I am glad you are okay. Without that knife things would have only gotten worse as it is in the genes of these dogs.

By that logic all dogs should be outlawed, because any dog can be violent. Did the packs of dogs that attacked you and your friends consist entirely of pitbulls?

How are you not in prison for assault yet? Every week it's a new story about how you broke a guy's jaw.

My cousin's daughter was walking their family dog on a leash in their neighborhood recently. Two pit bulls that were loose in the neighborhood attacked the family dog and killed it. Properly those two dogs were put down.

Anyone who keeps a dog big enough to maul or kill them is putting themselves at risk to some degree. If the owner is willing to take that risk fine, fine but don't subject others to that risk by letting the large dog run loose. My little dog, who is my buddy, has protective instincts that would make him dangerous if he were three times as big. And we do all we can to discourage bad behavior. He goes with me everywhere on weekends, but always on a leash. I m always in control of my pet.

My cousin's daughter was walking their family dog on a leash in their neighborhood recently. Two pit bulls that were loose in the neighborhood attacked the family dog and killed it. Properly those two dogs were put down.

I'm assuming you're also in favour of capital punishment.

I'm assuming you're also in favour of capital punishment.

I am. You can't "rehabilitate" a rattlesnake which includes an insane serial killer or a dog that's been turned very violent through training.

Nice job bringing politics into this thing too.

To the OP -- Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad you're okay.

On a more general note, this thread has prompted me to think about two things.

1) The possibility of having to defend myself or a loved one from an aggressive dog -- I haven't thought about this in awhile, and it's a legitimate concern.

2) The laws regarding all of this -- I'm sure the laws vary from location to location, but this thread has got me thinking about what they should be. What should happen to a dog that viciously attacks a person that doesn't pose a threat and that isn't trespassing on its owner's property? And perhaps more importantly, what should happen to the owner? If I'm walking down the street, and a dog attacks and badly injures me without cause, should the owner be held criminally responsible? I'm sure lawmakers have already thought these questions through, and this thread has prompted me to do some reading on the subject.

Do you also think black people should all be locked up because statistically they commit more crime than other races. It's not pit bulls it's how they're raised by their owners. The sweetest dog I've EVER met is my buddys pit bull. They get a bad rep due to being popular with shitty pet owners. That said its entirely appropriate to use lethal force against an aggressive dog of any species.

I'll anchor my post here on yours.

Your opening sentence is confrontational as hell and served no purpose in the discussion. I wouldn't have handled it so graciously as the OP had it been directed at me.

I look at yours and a few others' comments here and it reminds me of something else we see all to often (like when we hear of yet one more pit bull attack somewhere) in society, most knowing that it's nothing more than vapid and facile rationalization:

Ever notice how the bad boys' mammas always end up in the courtroom espousing the angelic qualities of their kid, usually involving the phrase, "But he's such a GOOD boy...." ?​

To the OP....glad you came through it. I know I wouldn't hesitate to take the same action, although to a more permanent ending, should it happen to me. Wouldn't bat an eye over it.....

I may have to buy a Recon now. Nice pic by the way.

OP, I'm glad things worked out and you saved your arm.

...Scenarios similar to this often play through my mind when I'm outdoors with my little boy and I notice an un-leashed dog coming towards us.
I REALLY like my Recon 1! Strongest lock of any folder I own.

I had a similar circumstance a few years back, out in front of my house, gardening with my two young kids, when a bad owner (not from our neighborhood) was walking up the street with her very large UNLEASHED German Shepherd. The dog came walking toward me, paused about 3 meters away, and it stood and stared at me while I continued to do yard work -- I was the only thing between it and my children.

The owner continued to walk in our direction and suddenly the dog's ears went down & the teeth were exposed & it was snarling and growling, and I immediately deployed my blade. Yes, I was prepared to stab it in the eye & heart and everywhere else until it lie dead -- I'm a dog-lover but it was way too close to my kids to be acting like that.

Thankfully the owner didn't like what she saw (this all transpired in about 20 seconds) and called the dog back to her & it immediately obeyed. Whew. I thought my heart was about to jump out of my rib cage.

Not a bad dog, just a bad owner.

Dog attacks are my worst concern while walking down the street or even jogging, that's the reason I always carry a last ditch neck knife. I wear on me either a c.s. Best pal, or a custom Mexican knife forged out of spring steel. I am seriously considering a CRKT sting tho.

I dont have a problem with pit bulls, in as much as violent tendencies have more to do with how they are raised. But they are not for me, because I prefer smart dogs, not stupid ones. And the only breed dumber than Pits are Dalmatians. I prefer Boarder Collies or Aussie Shepherds.

But Chows-those dogs should be outlawed. The Chow that does not attack a family, or a neighbor is as rare as a unicorn.

I've been a cop for twenty-five yesrs and I've only seen two breeds of dogs which have required to be shot after or during an attack. Pit bulls and chows.

That being said I've been with many lovable pits, but even they can feel threatend under certain circumstances where other breeds maintain their cool or submit quickly. As for chows thats just hundreds of years of breeding to protect.

Back