Colonial Knife Co Providence R.I.

[QUOTE="scrteened porch, post:
Looks like the bail-holes might accommodate a lanyard or fob on their own.[/QUOTE]
It probably will. I haven't measured it yet, but it has to be at 1/8 inch maybe larger. I'm not a bail or lanyard user. That's why I say maybe I'll make a bail for it, or maybe I won't. It will take some pretty serious wire to fill the holes, if I do.

O.B.

Crown Cutlery Company Germany (imported 1920s to 1930s per BRL2)
A6UQ9Ym.jpg

hQEthHp.jpg

w845lp1.jpg

hqYqemF.jpg

View attachment 1060145
O Old Biker
I have one of these as well, mine still has the bail. Looks like someone made the holes on yours bigger. Takes a keen edge for sure, mine snaps like a gattor.

I was able to pass a 5/32 drill bit thru the hole by hand tonight. So yeah I think somebody made it bigger. I'm guessing the center spacer/divider wasn't drilled originally either. Your right about it taking a keen edge. That's why I bought this one. I picked up a cigar shaped stockman about 3 months back. It was the second knife in a two knife lot, that I bought to get the other knife. Turns out the colonial was the better knife.
a6dmN2O0d4pgweDMAall9SOFiuHc0GpRUEVXtxf0a2TRWyWQYiOyLZ1Fjfa7tWee8w3kwWgT1ff44Q63qjNDcmxl2zOl0tPpPAhBXJcSctnrzpI0GOxWcEDKaEwaRYjF3c9-cAheadSsUVXL0BTBS88I3ekHf0htFZIMVEYKZkWGAo6mzFgUUnxyWqxj_WZLizxll8RrUi3BgLauOWaEmQSigjrHyU4OcufUy5M0Z0hc7LaJwcUhixF2S7_DWizifZM_bBYPNUpdUdvlRJnvES4qcBDqVzk4d64nq4svLebztkjCT8BhsGV5fA1D1MJQ_usyiyFtPVuNVHhS1RD8fBOg2ZA_ysfrhtdSXhoTQwkyzrzxkzafa8-_zchcyAXa69I6dKjMsI8o7paF5E9jK6O6Ay3MOvTi1dAESLoNFSAzFIiTltsspK-Icub73r5B4_xBdYA3Iimd4OyIrtLiCQ6Y7Ileagn3yzCS9Bo4MndH-kro2pCegSgMaBe2o_Et0ynptZnQ1YbbfdlBXl-H7b-FVoGMeEkyBpkyx18PWIe79T6kgrfSGpKcAc88RDFy7Lxna1UzPy_0Mts4oL1sLzowOQYjwU0C2sQyu_hv9iuyiRYrK4nXUXM984FyfnGvuAjE-LF_gjUN-8sCHCTvssVopWEh3zHMJF_KRSseWdMGmuxAV-yFXU-jgLuxRr_7xGXU_HSQTh4qLTU2-Q=w600

I have been really impressed with how easy it sharpened, how sharp it got, and how well it stayed sharp. So I went looking for more colonials. It's addicting. I saw two more yesterday I almost bought. (I must stop looking at ebay until after next payday.:()

O.B.

Last edited:
I was able to pass a 5/32 drill bit thru the hole by hand tonight. So yeah I think somebody made it bigger. I'm guessing the center spacer/divider wasn't drilled originally either.

Yes you are right, the hole for the bail does not go all the way through originally. Someone definitely drilled it out. He wasn't taking any chances with that knife. :thumbsup:

Your right about it taking a keen edge. That's why I bought this one. I picked up a cigar shaped stockman about 3 months back. It was the second knife in a two knife lot, that I bought to get the other knife. Turns out the colonial was the better knife.
a6dmN2O0d4pgweDMAall9SOFiuHc0GpRUEVXtxf0a2TRWyWQYiOyLZ1Fjfa7tWee8w3kwWgT1ff44Q63qjNDcmxl2zOl0tPpPAhBXJcSctnrzpI0GOxWcEDKaEwaRYjF3c9-cAheadSsUVXL0BTBS88I3ekHf0htFZIMVEYKZkWGAo6mzFgUUnxyWqxj_WZLizxll8RrUi3BgLauOWaEmQSigjrHyU4OcufUy5M0Z0hc7LaJwcUhixF2S7_DWizifZM_bBYPNUpdUdvlRJnvES4qcBDqVzk4d64nq4svLebztkjCT8BhsGV5fA1D1MJQ_usyiyFtPVuNVHhS1RD8fBOg2ZA_ysfrhtdSXhoTQwkyzrzxkzafa8-_zchcyAXa69I6dKjMsI8o7paF5E9jK6O6Ay3MOvTi1dAESLoNFSAzFIiTltsspK-Icub73r5B4_xBdYA3Iimd4OyIrtLiCQ6Y7Ileagn3yzCS9Bo4MndH-kro2pCegSgMaBe2o_Et0ynptZnQ1YbbfdlBXl-H7b-FVoGMeEkyBpkyx18PWIe79T6kgrfSGpKcAc88RDFy7Lxna1UzPy_0Mts4oL1sLzowOQYjwU0C2sQyu_hv9iuyiRYrK4nXUXM984FyfnGvuAjE-LF_gjUN-8sCHCTvssVopWEh3zHMJF_KRSseWdMGmuxAV-yFXU-jgLuxRr_7xGXU_HSQTh4qLTU2-Q=w600

I have been really impressed with how easy it sharpened, how sharp it got, and how well it stayed sharp. So I went looking for more colonials. It's addicting. I saw two more yesterday I almost bought. (I must stop looking at ebay until after next payday.:()

O.B.

Cool find O.B! That is one of my favorite Colonials to use. These really do get so sharp.

I believe yours has been modified a bit, changing the spey blade to a pen blade.

The 3 blade master jack is model #2633.
I also found a very similar 2 blade version but have never been
able to confirm a model #. My guess is its #2632.

There are also 2 different clip point blades used in these. At some point Colonial started using a blade with a swedge in these.

Here are a couple old advertisements for this knife.

tzLM1I.jpg

KeSH8R.jpg

Here are pictures of my knives.

ujZE1a.jpg

Ln3NOr.jpg

SRCH9A.jpg

PIzbTM.jpg

wnDGEQ.jpg

I know what you mean about eBay Old Biker. I am so addicted to it. I am on there every day. :)

I had one once ^ when I was too young to respect things like that:(. Probably left it in a treehouse or something. I also had a swiss army knife with all the tools, Gone:confused:

Hickory n steel Hickory n steel
Lol dang, your right! :rolleyes::thumbsup:
They're almost identical though, even the same brown cover material. Sometimes the line between Imperial and Colonial is so fine its hard to believe they're wasn't some cross pollination. Good catch.

A friend found out that a person was selling a Hobo knife for $5. I told him to get it after seeing the pictures. I have it now and here it is. How old do you think it is? Remember any of my pictures you can use on your blog.

in2KlKP.jpg

H9U32E6.jpg

ogPMORj.jpg
Oh, I remember those! I think either one of my brothers or I had one. That would have been in the 1960s or 70s. Not the most pocket-friendly knife. :D

A friend found out that a person was selling a Hobo knife for $5. I told him to get it after seeing the pictures. I have it now and here it is. How old do you think it is? Remember any of my pictures you can use on your blog.

in2KlKP.jpg

H9U32E6.jpg

ogPMORj.jpg

Hi Ed. Nice, clean hobo. Good deal for $5.:thumbsup:

This is Colonials model #2644 camp knife.

This trademark is one of Colonials most used tang stamps, and was used for almost 40 years. From the 60's until they closed in 98.

The first #2644 had a different fork and spoon. Colonial changed them to a stronger design at some point because the tines of the fork would bend and break off when people cut their food with the side of the fork instead of using the knife first.

You have the second, stronger fork and spoon. I believe the first one was made through the sixties and they switched to the second kind like yours about 1970. So yours could have been made any where from the 70's to the mid 90's. I wish I could give you a closer estimate but Its not possible.

Back