Colonial Knife Co Providence R.I.

Colonial started selling the Old Cutler line in 1977. They made it until approximately 1995-1996. Colonial went out of business in 1998. But their last couple years they didn't produce much. Spending more time buying cheap imports and re branding them out of desperation. They were willing to try just about anything to stay in business at that point but it didn't help.

I believe that someone on the bay is selling the outsourced version of the Old Cutler Barlow with rosewood handles. I had been surfing for an Old Cutler as a back up user. While the knife in question was not marked with an alternative country of origin, I noticed that the tang stamp reads: "Coloniae" rather than Colonial, as well as the date of "04." There is also a metal shield inlayed into the handle reading; "Colonial Knife, Since" encircling "1926." I thought I should give everyone a heads up to enlarge and carefully check the tang stamps.

Here's one you don't see every day. It's pretty well used up, but nevertheless a solid bolster, curved stamp scout knife...

View attachment 938525

Hi glennbad

That sure is a rare one. Ive seen these before but very few.

I think they bought these shields from another company. They don't have anything else like these.

Colonial usually just engraved scout on the same shields they used for the Forest Masters.

Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:

I believe that someone on the bay is selling the outsourced version of the Old Cutler Barlow with rosewood handles. I had been surfing for an Old Cutler as a back up user. While the knife in question was not marked with an alternative country of origin, I noticed that the tang stamp reads: "Coloniae" rather than Colonial, as well as the date of "04." There is also a metal shield inlayed into the handle reading; "Colonial Knife, Since" encircling "1926." I thought I should give everyone a heads up to enlarge and carefully check the tang stamps.

gAFavC.jpg

8LfVrd.jpg

Good catch Bartleby.

That tang stamp is hilarious. Coloniae :D

That's definitely one of the new Colonials.

They bought the rights to use the Old Cutler name back in the early 2000's but the knives they put it on were nothing like the originals. The new Colonial does not use the Old Cutler name anymore.

I have one of these. It had blade wobble right out of the package and was dull. It was hard to sharpen and wouldn't hold an edge. Very poor quality knife with crappy steel in my opinion.

This Coloniae Old Cutler is a little different from mine. Mine doesn't say a year, it doesn't have the 440 stainless stamp anywhere and it doesn't have the 1926 badge in the handle. I guess I have an older model.

Good idea warning everyone about these Bartleby. I like that the new Colonial started putting the year on these. Hopefully it will help people figure out its a new one.

Another clue is that Prov RI on the tang. Colonial stopped using that in the late 50's.

Old Cutlers first year was 1978 and their tang stamps were just Old Cutler USA.

Here is a picture of my Old Cutler from the new Colonial.

m2BV5V.jpg

Here is an original Old Cutler for anyone who wants to see the tang stamp.

G8C4n8.jpg

They bought the rights to use the Old Cutler name back in the early 2000's but the knives they put it on were nothing like the originals. The new Colonial does not use the Old Cutler name anymore.

I have one of these. It had blade wobble right out of the package and was dull. It was hard to sharpen and wouldn't hold an edge. Very poor quality knife with crappy steel in my opinion.

This Coloniae Old Cutler is a little different from mine. Mine doesn't say a year, it doesn't have the 440 stainless stamp anywhere and it doesn't have the 1926 badge in the handle. I guess I have an older model.

Thanks! I have stumbled across several of the plain rosewood handled versions locally over the years. The earliest ones are similar to the knife you have, except for better fit and finish (and apparently better heat treat). These were followed by a large number released as a SMKW "warehouse find" of knives, some of which were very roughly finished indeed. I suspect that the example you have may have been one of these. The "Coloniae" version with the shield doesn't seem to have been continued by the new Colonial, perhaps these were (rejected?) samples. I have not seen one before.

The shape and grind of the main blade used on these outsourced Barlows is interesting, and seems to have been influenced by the 1998 Russell commemorative Barlow that Colonial produced, leading me to wonder where the blades were produced by/for Colonial to fulfill that contract as the factory was in the process of shutting down. The blade is also quite close to the single bladed Barlow design imported presently by AG Russell (perhaps current production from the same overseas maker, but with better QC).

Certainly not the Colonials of old however!

Thanks! I have stumbled across several of the plain rosewood handled versions locally over the years. The earliest ones are similar to the knife you have, except for better fit and finish (and apparently better heat treat). These were followed by a large number released as a SMKW "warehouse find" of knives, some of which were very roughly finished indeed. I suspect that the example you have may have been one of these. The "Coloniae" version with the shield doesn't seem to have been continued by the new Colonial, perhaps these were (rejected?) samples. I have not seen one before.

The shape and grind of the main blade used on these outsourced Barlows is interesting, and seems to have been influenced by the 1998 Russell commemorative Barlow that Colonial produced, leading me to wonder where the blades were produced by/for Colonial to fulfill that contract as the factory was in the process of shutting down. The blade is also quite close to the single bladed Barlow design imported presently by AG Russell (perhaps current production from the same overseas maker, but with better QC).

Certainly not the Colonials of old however!

That 1998 Limited Edition Russell Barlow set sure was an interesting situation.

I'm surprised Colonial pulled it off when as you said, they were closing down.

The blades were stamped by Dexter-Russell using their own steel from AK Steel in Coshocton, Ohio. They also supplied the steel for and stamped the springs. The blades are 440A Stainless.

The stag set sure was nice.

QDDEIf.jpg

PM0elI.jpg

View attachment 940134
View attachment 940133
View attachment 940135

Did Colonial produce the Imperials as well, or did I make a mistake?

Hi Johnny Twoshoes. Welcome.

Colonial did not make Imperial knives.

Its an easy thing to confuse though, they are very similar knives and from the same city. And the similarity's don't stop there.

Colonial was owned by the Paolantonio family. Imperial was owned by the Mirando family. Both were big family's from Italy and both family's were cutlers before coming to the USA.

Imperial and Colonial were both in Providence, Rhode Island. The Paolantonios and Mirandos were friends and they shared information and designs between the two company's sometimes. There were also Mirandos working at Colonial and Paolantonios that worked at Imperial. Big family's.

So there are quite a few similar knives and at times can be pretty hard to tell some of them apart if the tang stamp is damaged.

But they were both huge knife manufacturers making their own knives in Providence.

"A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever "

An All Around Pocket Knife

Full Polished Keen Steel Blades

Sturdy Enough For Heavy Duty Yet An Ideal Pocket Size

The Rainbow Knife

Man's Reproduction Of Abalone Pearl

7ie4ne.jpg

Wow is this an exciting find. I have had this rainbow knife advertisement for years, never expecting to get lucky enough to find one.

Its in great shape for a 1930's Celluloid. Not a single crack or chip in the handles.

Originally 25 Cents!

I have had this for a few weeks trying to get some great pictures. Still not happy with them but I'm going to give up for now and post it.

Spinal stenosis has really made photography challenging. I used to take most of my pictures outside in natural light. I'm trying to get used to using a shot box light box but its just not the same.

Oh well, its documenting and sharing the knives and information that is most important to me. :)

TTMv9f.jpg

dYkjCw.jpg

F869GS.jpg

AvMnTq.jpg

Wow is this an exciting find. I have had this rainbow knife advertisement for years, never expecting to get lucky enough to find one.

Its in great shape for a 1930's Celluloid. Not a single crack or chip in the handles.

Wow! That is a true survivor! Amazingly well preserved. I always have a soft spot for the creative use of color in celluloid. It looks as if they used bits of real shell (although I do realize it is all man made, it sure looks real)!

The Rainbow Knife

7ie4ne.jpg

Originally 25 Cents!

I have had this for a few weeks trying to get some great pictures. Still not happy with them but I'm going to give up for now and post it.

Spinal stenosis has really made photography challenging. I used to take most of my pictures outside in natural light. I'm trying to get used to using a shot box light box but its just not the same.

Oh well, its documenting and sharing the knives and information that is most important to me. :)

TTMv9f.jpg

dYkjCw.jpg

F869GS.jpg

AvMnTq.jpg

Wow, that's so cool! (sorry about the spine problems)
Wow! That is a true survivor! Amazingly well preserved. I always have a soft spot for the creative use of color in celluloid. It looks as if they used bits of real shell (although I do realize it is all man made, it sure looks real)!
It looks to me like pieces of metal foil embedded.

Perhaps, lol! I yield to your judgement, especially in matters of a namesake, r8shell.
Ha! I'm just going by the pictures. :) I've seen it done with glass, and it kinda looked like that.

The Rainbow Knife

7ie4ne.jpg

Originally 25 Cents!

TTMv9f.jpg

dYkjCw.jpg

F869GS.jpg

AvMnTq.jpg

Those covers are incredible looking!!!
It is in excellent shape too.

I also dig your razor.
They are probably my favorite type Gillette, my daily user is from 1913.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you guys enjoyed seeing it. I cant believe what great shape its in either. Its about 80 years old.

I wonder how this was stored. It came from Ohio.

Those covers are incredible looking!!!
It is in excellent shape too.

I also dig your razor.
They are probably my favorite type Gillette, my daily user is from 1913.

Hi Will. Thanks.

This razor comes apart and goes in a little silver box with a purple felt lining. It says Optimo Germany on the box. I have had it about 20 years. It was my grandfathers. He used this as his travel razor for many years.

That's cool you use an old razor like this. I have thought about looking for some razors for it and giving it a try but never have.

I shave my head almost every day but I haven't shaved my face
for 16 years. I hate cutting up my head shaving so I'm nervous to give it a try.:D

Beautiful old Colonial - love the display cards - evoke nostalgic memories everytime I see one! My latest Colonial, an absolutely mint Sport-Pal Jackknife with a spear main blade and a combination caplifter and can opener secondary blade. This one was a surprise gift from a fellow knife collector and good guy. OH
Colonial_Sport-_Pal_Stainless.jpg

Beautiful old Colonial - love the display cards - evoke nostalgic memories everytime I see one! My latest Colonial, an absolutely mint Sport-Pal Jackknife with a spear main blade and a combination caplifter and can opener secondary blade. This one was a surprise gift from a fellow knife collector and good guy. OH
Colonial_Sport-_Pal_Stainless.jpg

Hi Old Hunter.

I love seeing the old displays also.

That's a nice Sport Pal. Thanks for the picture. So cool that it was a gift.

Here is a picture of a Sport Pal with its original box.

5mF2nP.jpg

Back