Colossus & chaos stiletto - shipping now!

It's the same exact handle as the others. Thats boring as hell, man. I've never seen a blade like this one, yet the same black block handle.

Yes...and the others were intended to be modern versions of trench knives as well, hence the handle? And I've seen plenty of blades like this one, historically speaking.

It's the same exact handle as the others. Thats boring as hell, man. I've never seen a blade like this one, yet the same black block handle.

That's the defining characteristic of the Chaos series. I think this blade looks the best of all of them so far with this handle. :thumbup:

Wished CS would make a real traditional stiletto tho. The new rondel has the triangular cross section that's closer to the real stiletto.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. The new Rondel Dagger seems like a very good take on the traditional stiletto, as is the Colichmarde Dagger and the Companion Dagger to the Ribbed Shell Rapier. Cold Steel already did a great rendering of a modern stiletto, too--the Corsican.

image.jpg3_zpsf6sqyj4x.jpg

Despite being a beautiful design, it didn't last long in the catalog. So presumably it didn't sell well, probably for the same reason that most long-bladed daggers don't fly off the shelves: Who can carry them legally outside of a military setting or an SCA event? Unless you're wearing BDUs or tights and a tunic, sheathed daggers tend to draw unwanted attention!

I'm unclear about the confusion over the new Chaos. It's simply an update of the M1917, a World War I design made strictly for up-close-and-personal combat.

image.jpg1_zpsyrnvbcgv.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsuqbhflpi.jpg

The triangular blade was meant to make wounds that were difficult to close, thereby putting the enemy out of commission longer even if he survived. There's nothing utilitarian in the design. It's a weapon of war, plain and simple.

One of the reasons that I enjoy Cold Steel so much is that they take chances making products that are unapologetically weapons. They recognize and recreate historical pieces, but they also modernize some of those designs. They'll never make a mint selling them, but they make them for those of us who love the concepts and appreciate a well-constructed, updated rendering of an age-old weapon. It's what sets Cold Steel apart from so many plain old knife manufacturers. It also makes the Cold Steel catalogs fun to read, and a history lesson to boot!

-Steve

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. The new Rondel Dagger seems like a very good take on the traditional stiletto, as is the Colichmarde Dagger and the Companion Dagger to the Ribbed Shell Rapier. Cold Steel already did a great rendering of a modern stiletto, too--the Corsican.

image.jpg3_zpsf6sqyj4x.jpg

Despite being a beautiful design, it didn't last long in the catalog. So presumably it didn't sell well, probably for the same reason that most long-bladed daggers don't fly off the shelves: Who can carry them legally outside of a military setting or an SCA event? Unless you're wearing BDUs or tights and a tunic, sheathed daggers tend to draw unwanted attention!

I'm unclear about the confusion over the new Chaos. It's simply an update of the M1917, a World War I design made strictly for up-close-and-personal combat.

image.jpg1_zpsyrnvbcgv.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsuqbhflpi.jpg

The triangular blade was meant to make wounds that were difficult to close, thereby putting the enemy out of commission longer even if he survived. There's nothing utilitarian in the design. It's a weapon of war, plain and simple.

One of the reasons that I enjoy Cold Steel so much is that they take chances making products that are unapologetically weapons. They recognize and recreate historical pieces, but they also modernize some of those designs. They'll never make a mint selling them, but they make them for those of us who love the concepts and appreciate a well-constructed, updated rendering of an age-old weapon. It's what sets Cold Steel apart from so many plain old knife manufacturers. It also makes the Cold Steel catalogs fun to read, and a history lesson to boot!

-Steve

^ this + 1,000,000!!
You summed up why I'm a diehard cold steel fan!

I do wish the Chaos knives had a knuckle guard more like the actual M1917. At least, the same shape, rather than having that divider in the middle.

Woot! Just got a shipping notification for my Chaos Stiletto. New pic at Knife Center also gives a better look at the triangular cross section:

CS80NTST_LS1R.jpg

:cool::thumbup:

Woot! Just got a shipping notification for my Chaos Stiletto. New pic at Knife Center also gives a better look at the triangular cross section:

CS80NTST_LS1R.jpg

:cool::thumbup:

So it's an equillateral triangle. In theory, each edge should have a 60 degree included angle. It should have reasonably sharp edges. It'll definitely stab through almost anything

it's an ugly piece of business for sure.... I'm on the fence with this one... as awesome as it is... I just can't see any reason for owning one. At least with other fighting type knives they are still marginally useful for the odd cutting task on occasion. These...I guess they could double as tent pegs the way we used old SKS bayonets back in the day LOL.

'Tis here! Some LD (Lo Def :D) pics:

0317162336_zpst7y8nb71.jpg

0317162337_zps5gynwy5e.jpg

0317162337a_zpselcjsfct.jpg

0317162338_zpsm19gzxwg.jpg

0317162339_zpsjvtywkjo.jpg

They state on the site (something I didn't see till today) that the blade is an isosceles triangle, which is true. I tried to capture that in the point-on pic. The blade is somewhat wider (spine to edge) than it is thick, so the two upper edge are steeper than the main edge. None of the edges are uber sharp, though the primary edge will slice printer paper and scrape off arm hair. The sheath is pretty interesting too. Definitely the fattest Secure-Ex sheath ever made, as can be seen in the last pic. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for this spike/knuckle/skull crusher combo, but it sure is cool! :cool::thumbup:

Last edited:
For a great Easter dinner get a leg of lamb and stab it all over with it. Shove garlic and bacon in the holes. Grill it medium rare. Perfecto.

Back