Combatchet Proto WIP

This is a hatchet design I've been wanting to do.
I had some .150 ATS-34 sheet large enough to do something like this with.
If I decide to do more,I'll use 1/4 material.
This is a design I want some input on,I named it Combatchet.
I've incorporated a 1" hole so you can choke up on the handle & use it like a ulu blade.
The point at the end of the handle will serve as a skull crusher.
I'm not sure if I need to add a lanyard hole to possibly lash to.
I would invite some input,This will probably be flat ground w/convex edge.
What do ya'll think.?

Attachments

• Combatchet Proto Pics 001.jpg
    Combatchet Proto Pics 001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 376
  • Combatchet Proto Pics 002.jpg
    Combatchet Proto Pics 002.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Combatchet Proto Pics 003.jpg
    Combatchet Proto Pics 003.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 227
I like it, How is the balance? It seems much lighter than the head on a traditional axe

Keith,The balance is good,It's a little light in the head due to it being .150 material.Should be better weight with 1/4 stock,The g-10 scales should'nt add much weight to it.

Nice, I have thought of putting a piece of brass on the back edge for a hammer. If you added a flat on the back and a couple of holes you could pin the brass in place like they do on ice climbing picks.

Patrick,I like that idea.:DI was also thinking about incorporating a wire cutter somehow.I would like to send a few over to some soldiers overseas,Try to give back to the men & women fighting for our freedom.;)
S-7 material seems to be the steel of choice for axes & hatchets,You think that's a logical choice?

I am not familiar with S-7 but I am sure CPM would work. There was a wire cutter on early marine knives but I cannot remember how they worked. There were also wire cutters which incorporated the sheath.

If you make the bottom pin or bolt a rivit it would work as a lanyard hole as well, for an axe I think the lanyard hole should be in front much like the new style of competition chopping knives,

Patrick,I'll redesign the head for a hammer function,
S-7 is referred to as shock resistant material.I would imagine A2 would be good & tough.

I think locating the lanyard hole forward is definately a cool idea,Again.:D

I"m going to do a search on wire cutter design,Get my head around the concept.:confused:

I like the concept. I think when you redesign the head for a hammer function you should think about making the index finger area wider to add more strength just in case someone twists hard like in prying something. I see a weak area there with the index finger hole in a vital spot.

Bruce,I see what area you are talking about.

I've done some redesigning on the CAD drawing.I'll post the current drawing for comment.:D

Here's the current CAD drawing,I've incoporated the following.Hammer,wire cutter,lanyard holes,saw,skull crusher,index finger hole.

Input is welcome.:D

Attachments

• Combatchet Proto Pics.jpg
    Combatchet Proto Pics.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 134
For a wire cutter, all you need is a notch somewhere on the tool, and that can be used to snap wire...

I am active duty Air Force (Security Forces) currently stationed in Germany. I KNOW our troops could use something like this downrange!!!

Frank Bigelow

Frank,Thanks for the input.:DWhat shape is the notch needs to be,Size of opening?You have a pic of a notch you are describing?

That is a good place as well as depth for the notch!! Perfect, and sexy if I might say!!

Looking forward to pics of the finished product!

Last edited:
I decided to relocate the wire cutter notch to the bottom of the handle,Thought it got in the way when using the finger hole.Moved the hole slightly.

Attachments

• Combatchet Proto Pics 002.jpg
    Combatchet Proto Pics 002.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 77
IMHO the wirebreaker notch would be better served back in the original position, with the bottom used as a mini prybar or such... just my 2 cents!

Frank B

Hey Rick, taking a look at your work, I am sure that whatever you come up with will be awesome!!!

Perhaps one day I too can reach that level!!!

Deuce

Frank,Thanks.I pondered your suggestion long enough to tweak it back to the original location,Yet it does'nt protrude.It looks to work better with using the finger ring.

Attachments

• Combatchet Proto Pics 003.jpg
    Combatchet Proto Pics 003.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 81
Back