Coming back to Victorinox SAK...

After years of different tactical folders,fixed blades and most other types of knives now I most likely carry one of my Victorinox SAKs (Spartan,Alpineer ,classic sd or recruit).Sometimes (once in blue moon)I still carry a Spyderco or traditional Case slimline trapper folder,but find one of my SAKs most usefull and easiest to carry out of all.They do not attract unwanted attention and can be used anywhere,plus the tools on them are super usefull too.Any similar experiences?I still like tactical folders and keep buying them LOL.But they mostly collect dust or I give them away to my friends and sometimes sell them.Same thing is with fixed blades,I use Mora companion ,my victorinox kitchen knives and sometimes my Bark river bowie.Other ones see no use.All edc tasks are done by victorinox SAKs ,and in house Victorinox paring boning knife.Victorinox boning knife does all camping tasks too without problems.(I do not batton with knives.)Victorinox knives are legal almost anywhere and I have carried it and used it in many different countries,and especially in south America, where many locals use them to cut fruits,vegetables etc,I even gave away couple of cheaper ones to my new friends that couldn't afford it.One guy even used my Sak to butcher a pig for roast.All with no problems and it was touched up on brick without problems.

Last edited:
I so rarely have an opportunity to use this word. I hate that that's my truth as well. I could live with my SAK and no other knives.

I'm just managing my addiction to slippies. I'm a functioning "knifeaholic."

I'd like to add, this is my feeling towards a pocket knife, but there are purposes for other knives.

Last edited:
I so rarely have an opportunity to use this word. I hate that that's my truth as well. I could live with my SAK and no other knives.

I'm just managing my addiction to slippies. I'm a functioning "knifeaholic."

My first pocket knife was a VIC. I have a VIC with me every day, and usually another pocket knife or fixed blade, but even when I don't, I have the VIC. It does everything I would need from a cutting tool, plus it has several other useful things. It's just fine. The other slip joints are mostly for my admiration and satisfaction, because they're cool, and so finely crafted.

I actually came to the same exact realization as you some months ago. My Victorinox Huntsman is usually my EDC and I have a Mora Companion if I need to carry a fixed blade.

I've probably 50-60 "EDC" knives, but I always seem to have a VIC Tinker in my pocket or a Deluxe Tinker on my belt. Just something about a SAK that keeps bringing you back.

Rich

Of the 4 knives I carry every day, 2 are a SAK. A "Signature" on my key ring and a "Huntsman" on a SAK chain lanyard.
The other two are either a Barlow or Stockman sharing pocket space with the Huntsman, and a Buck 110 on my belt.
The Signature is used if I forget a pen, (or if my pen dies)
The Huntsman sees maybe 98% of my daily use. There are times a clip point or sheepsfoot is more suited to the task at hand than a spear point blade.
I could probably get by with just the SAK's, but what fun would that be?
I enjoy carrying and using all my knives.

Last edited:
It's because, to put it simply, they work.
They work and they work better than a lot of other ones that cost many times more,plus the quality is superb for price,and they can be gentleman's edc knife too.alox models are really good for price.wish they would make some of large models in alox,single blade in alox with a lock would be amazing

Pretty much the way I feel as well although I like to mix in a few moderns now and then into my regular carry. I really like slip joints; SAKs are slip joints. They're just so useful. In terms of folding knife size (blade) I have gotten very used to the 112 mm Vic SAK size for day to day use and like your Huntsman, it sees 98% of all the use regardless of whether I have a GEC or Queen slip joint or a modern in my pocket as well. It has been an evolution of thought and acceptance of a knife that works for my own cutting needs day to day.

My introduction to SAKs was like yours.... South America and what works for me the best.

I have tried to want to carry moderns. I like them. But the SAK always wins.

I would guess that my next evolution of knife use will be to down size to something in the area of a Tinker size SAK or the GEC #15 Boys knife. I have a couple of these waiting for the time I start grabbing them first. The GEC #48 Weasel or Improved Trapper also really appeals to me as well.

-Four years ago I attached a Vic classic to my key ring and have not left the house without it.
-Three years ago a Vic Soldier found it's way into my RFP and has been there ever since.
-The Classic and Soldier combined, provide the most useful EDC tools while still leaving a spot in my pocket for a OHO or traditional knife if I choose to carry one.
-A Vic huntsman has gone with me on nearly every outdoor adventure for more than 30 years and has handled every task without fail.
-If I could only have one knife, I'd choose a sturdy, useful, easy to sharpen, Vic Farmer.
These experiences have proven to me, Victorinox knows EDC !!!

I've carried a Vic Swiss Army Knife everyday for nearly 60 years. I usually carry some other knife as well, typically either a one-hand opener or a traditional pocket knife with better edge holding steel than the Vic. Or a sheath knife if in the woods. The Vic model changes with the weather, but always has the scissors which may be the most used "blade" on the knife. The only thing I have yet to find a use for is that silly hook! Overall, I'm with Redsparrow: "Victorinox knows EDC !!!"

If I wasn't a knife nut a tinker or recruit and a classic would probably be it for me. Now I usually have one of my 3 classics on me, but sometimes I gotta give the Leatherman Micra come pocket time too.

I have found that as an all business cutting tool Vic's are awesome, but being a knife nut I feel they do ( minus the pocket pal which has it ) lack a bit of the charm of other normal traditional patterns.

Vic's are great and they do have their own particular charm, but there's just something beautiful about an old carbon steel clip point blade with lots of patina. That doesn't stop me from putting a Vic in my pocket, but it does keep me from leaving them there indefinitely.

since I'm not one to have 2 " full sized " folders in my pocket and Because I completely think of Vic's as a knife first I have to switch it up and can't have a Vic on me 100% of the time.
Now their quatro screwdriver from my old card light that's always around my neck is a different story ;)

Vic's are the best, just not the only !

Last edited:
For some reason I stopped carrying my Vic Walker and its Zermatt pouch. Then yesterday while walking around the property there were some low-hanging mulberry branches in my way. Back out today with the Walker and sawed those suckers off! Then I cut and sharpened a twig from a nearby oak tree to clean the teeth on the saw (mulberry being soft and sticky). Don't know why I didn't just use the toothpick, :confused: but then I wouldn't have had an excuse to use the blade. I'm going to be keeping my Walker on my belt again!

-
These experiences have proven to me, Victorinox knows EDC !!!

This is the bottom line for many who carry the red handled wonder.

GEC makes some nice knives. Do does Case and many others. BUT... they don't have near the edc capacity for handling many of those little problems that life and a certain Mr. Murphy loves to throw at us. I've long lost track of all the stuff I've fixed, messed with, and field repaired with a SAK. Done it when I was miles from any other tools or facility.

I love stockmen knives. The three blade pattern has been my knife on and off since my early 20's. BUT...that little word again, it can't handle a loose battery terminal, a broken clothes drier door latch, and many other things that need a screw driver or awl.

My very first knife was a Boy Scout knife. Joining the army I got issued a all steel scout knife. Then I bought a SAK in Germany. I've never been without a SAK around someplace.

I never will!

Soldier and classic are excellent combo,I wish they made soldier in larger size too with longer blade,that would be awesome.

At home or away, dressed to the "nines" or casual, or even just lounging at home in gym shorts, I always have an alox Cadet on me. I love the Electrician, especially for it's sheepfoot blade, but I don't carry one often because in addition to my Cadet, I nearly always carry a stockman as well. I personally have not seen the crazy consistency of walk and talk that others often mention. I have SAKs with pulls from 5-7, some snappy and others not so much, and even a couple with lazy blades/tools that you have to push closed. But, the alox, in all its many wondrous colors, has mesmerized my brain, and I must carry one. I truly must!

I went a couple of months without my Vic Explorer. Seems I really do use all those tools.

OP - A SAK is really going to cover over 99% of the population for all intents and purposes. I carry one on top of a larger folder pretty much every day and usually don't need the larger blade. Most of us just hoard knives for fun and carry all different types... For fun!

I used the cuticle pusher on my SAK Executive this morning to reinstall a small screw on my phone charger after I bashed it with my knee. The Executive has been with me Mon-Fri for quite a while now, and at this point, I use it more than any other pocket knife. My Rancher has done dirty work around the house flawlessly, and my Waiter is a great travel companion. I have a very high level of respect for Victorinox!

Back