Coming back to Victorinox SAK...

I wouldn't mind hearing more about how you did this.

I have a sak that went through a beverage-can return machine. That would be a good one to dissect and fiddle with.
68W9c5m.jpg

5wvENkq.jpg
I once forgot mine in the kitchen oven :eek:
Happily there's a Victorinox shop where they changed the sides for peanuts and gave me the toothpick etc. :rolleyes:
SAK_cottes.jpg

"We are all Keynesians now." - Milton Friedman

We are all SAKians now. - abcdef

Thank you. That's very helpful.
The plastic popped off of mine about as easily as you'd expect, and I'm contemplating the bushings. I'm going to have to take this one all apart to hammer the liners flat, so the parts will probably fly all over tarnation and I won't have to fit new covers.

You can use a clamp or vice grip pliers or even tape to hold the layers together while you get the pins out, and I know I've seen a blog post with photos of someone who made a jig with a block of wood with holes drilled in the right places to stick the brass rods in so you can stack the layers in the right order as you're disassembling/reassembling it, but of course I can't find the blog or photo now.

Which model/length is yours? I might have a spare parts knife that you can scavenge for liners so you don't have to try to hammer those back into shape.

....I find myself using the SAK at least several times a day for all kinds of tasks. I could just get by with a SAK easily. I often wonder why I don't just sell-off my collection ( including all my custom slip joints) and use the SAK. It would certainly simplify my life and from a useage standpoint I'd have all the bases covered. One of these days...................
For me, that would be a HUGE step. I'm not ready to take that step and I don't think you are either. But it would simplify my life. But ya know, if I'm not buying, eventually I'll get bored (or envious) of all these new knives being discussed here on BF. I broke down and purchased an Alox Electrician yesterday. I need it like a hole in the head. But did that stop me?

If Victorinox started making them like they used to, it would be easy for me to go SAK only...
P_20170929_205514.jpg

Here is my favorite, a 1961 Camper from the days Spartans didn't exist and Campers didn't have saws. The SOLID scales are still tight after 56 years. That's what kills it for me with new SAKs, the scales ALWAYS get loose and it drives me crazy, and most of the time the liners start to wiggle. Of course you can epoxy them... and then a blade gets loose and now you can't tighten the pivot because you epoxied the scales on. That's what keeps me buying traditional slippies, knowing I can keep it tight, smooth, and sharp with a few basic tools. The generation before the above knife had solid scales and ALL pins exposed, just like a bolster-less traditional with synthetic covers, kind of like the current Daypacker or Floral knife. Of course I bought a few alox models in my quest for the perfect pocket knife, but they don't grow on me for some reason.

Still, I have a classic on my keychain 24/7 :)

I keep coming back to the camo ones ...
RenderedContent-58F8281D-ADDC-4D06-8F74-97C60243F7F2.JPG

Last edited:
The camo ones are certainly interesting. Have a Trekker that is camo. I'm afraid I'd loose it in the woods if I carried it much.

Back