Compasses

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
One skill I'm lacking on is navigation. This is my quest for 2011, learning more about this skill. A group of buddies and I are going on a bare bones survival course given by survival instructor Byron Kerns in April and this skill is my main focus.
I also like compasses and was just curious what types you fellas like to use. I just got a Cammenga military lensatic compass for this trip. Post up situations where you relied on the use of a compass while out.
Scott

I've got a lensatic compass in with my hunting/survival stuff...then theres the 20mm(i believe) one in my esee fire kit..

Scott,
That military compass will get the job done, I also like many of the clear base models.
Check your local Fish and Game, they might offer a free course, I know in MA they offer 2 or 3 a year..I did the MA one last year with a bud, as a refresher. Good course overall, fun to get out there and practice an important skill.
Or you could join the Army:D They do an OK job of training map and compass.

After last years course..I picked up some topo software for the areas I bum around in..pretty cool to have as well. Compass's are much more useful with a decent topo map.

compasses are really easy to use once you actually get into the field and start using them. I use a suunto compass that I have had for many years. don't worry you will learn how to use one. Hell, i'm a kid and I have known how to use a compass for many years.

compass_101926a10000000_suunto.jpg

-kng

I have a few compasses and I usually use my Suunto M-3. Its much simpler and easier to use than the US mil compass from Cammenga. Not that the US Mil Cammenga isnt good, its much more accurate IMO if used correctly.

IMO a flat clear base compass with an adjustable declination is the best. Check out the M-3 and MC-2. Also similar compasses from Silva are the Explorer Pro and Ranger CL515.

As for needing to use it: Been plenty of times Ive used em, but usually during teaching. The times Ive used it in the field has usually been for practice. I usually follow the trails and don't bushwack, so using the compass hasn't been for any emergency use. But knowing how is invaluable, anybody going into the trails without knowing is asking for it.

Last edited:
+1 for the Suunto MC-2. It is my field compass. Very accurate and easy to use. Did quite a bit of orienteering with it this summer and fall.

One skill I'm lacking on is navigation. This is my quest for 2011, learning more about this skill. A group of buddies and I are going on a bare bones survival course given by survival instructor Byron Kerns in April and this skill is my main focus.
I also like compasses and was just curious what types you fellas like to use. I just got a Cammenga military lensatic compass for this trip. Post up situations where you relied on the use of a compass while out.
Scott

You made a good choice with the Cammenga, I'm assuming it has the tritium dial?

It's essentially an infrantryman's tool so it's good for any wilderness work with topo maps. I've also used mine on the water with charts for taking hand-held bearings on landmarks. At one time, in a rainstorm with limited visibility, it was our main navigating compass :eek: Not the best of plans but it worked and we got home :thumbup::)

The Cammenga and most lensatic military compasses can also work as a rangefinder...using the mil dots around the face.. I won't try to explain it but here's a link:

http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/RealTruthAboutMilDots.asp

:)

Silva Ranger.

Read "Be Expert with Map and Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook" by
Björn Kjellström -- it is a good primer.

-Stan

As for needing to use it: Been plenty of times Ive used em, but usually during teaching. The times Ive used it in the field has usually been for practice. I usually follow the trails and don't bushwack, so using the compass hasn't been for any emergency use. But knowing how is invaluable, anybody going into the trails without knowing is asking for it.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Your local Boy Scout troop will be able to teach you, and they'll do it for free. You would probably be helping them out. One of the merit badges require them to teach and run a map and compass course. Don't worry a bit. Map and Compass is easy to learn and master. Once you get some info on it, you'll probably say to yourself, "duh, that makes sense."

Aside from BSA activities and bush use, I used to use an engineering compass at work for orientating cellular antennas. I know anyone that installs any type of antenna, uses a compass to orientate it.

+1 for the Suunto MC-2. It is my field compass. Very accurate and easy to use. Did quite a bit of orienteering with it this summer and fall.

+1 for this. I have the Mc-2G (Global needle). If you don't plan on traveling out of the country any time soon - you can save a bunch of money on the MC-2. Mine was a gift - so I went for broke! ;)

TF

Took the words right out of my mouth. Your local Boy Scout troop will be able to teach you, and they'll do it for free. You would probably be helping them out. One of the merit badges require them to teach and run a map and compass course. Don't worry a bit. Map and Compass is easy to learn and master. Once you get some info on it, you'll probably say to yourself, "duh, that makes sense."

Aside from BSA activities and bush use, I used to use an engineering compass at work for orientating cellular antennas. I know anyone that installs any type of antenna, uses a compass to orientate it.

+1 on the Scouts and book mentioned above. I started learning map and compass in the Scouts, and then the rest from experience and "Land Navigation Handbook: The Sierra Club Guide to Map, Compass and GPS". Great book on land navigation, the newer edition has added some info (IMO unfortunately) on GPS. I learned and became even more proficient teaching as an adult in the Scouts.

Ive seen and heard alot about "Be Expert with Map and Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook". Great book.

Last edited:
anyone have a wrist compass? I know Cammenga is one that makes them. I was considering one since I don't wear a watch.....

anyone have a wrist compass? I know Cammenga is one that makes them. I was considering one since I don't wear a watch.....

Nope. Wouldnt want one. I would be too worried about smacking it into something and needing it. Rather have a compass packed away or around my neck.

I have the Suunto MC-2. Like you, navigation is one of the skills I am looking to brush-up on this year.

Silva Ranger.

Read "Be Expert with Map and Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook" by
Björn Kjellström -- it is a good primer.

-Stan

The Silva Ranger is a sighting compass with a mirror on a plexiglass base.
They are very light in weight and hangs round your neck
They are easy to use from Map to Terrain and the reverse of Terrain to Map
Accurate for long distance walking, not for calling in an air strike.
I have had mine for 40 years, and I have used it well cross-country in different countries!

You want a compass that you can adjust the declination.
Declination is the difference between Gird North (the lines on the map), and Magnetic North (where the needle points)
You need to know how to take a bearing, adjust the bearing using the declination, and then walk on the bearing.

A decent sighting compass with a mirror with an adjustable declination will not cost more than $40
That is a life time investment.
Silva, Suunto, and Brunton are all the excellent same quality

GPS are only once you know how to use Map and Compass.
You must have map reading skills before you go to GPS
And they have batteries and electronics and cannot be dropped, or submerged in water or wet from heavy rain!!!

Last edited:
The Silva ranger style compass is the most practical and declination adjustable is a must. I believe the US is the only army in the world that uses the engineers compass. The cammenga is overly heavy, bulky and not adjustable for declination. I probably sound harsh but I have a lot of experience with both and I recommend the Ranger type.

GPS are only once you know how to use Map and Compass.
You must have map reading skills before you go to GPS
And they have batteries and electronics and cannot be dropped, or submerged in water or wet from heavy rain!!!

Well said. I know a few people who call themselves "outdoorsmen" yet they have no clue how to use a map and compass. "Ive got GPS, dont need a compass" is what Ive heard.

I used to say GPS was for people who dont know how to use a map and compass, until I tried using it. Wow, way easier. But to use it exclusively with no clue how to use a compass? No wonder more people have been lost outdoors since GPS has been invented.

Good choice on the Cammenga Scott. For good learning on uses, FM 3-25.26 is pretty decent. Talfuchre's recommendation on the MC-2G is what I often carry, even overseas. For most of my backpacking, a simple base compass is the best decision when weight is a factor. However, for practicing compass use and land navigation the military lensatic compass is a great tool.
For practicing, find a decent area with some prominent terrain features (hilltops, spurs, valleys, etc.) and make sure you have a quality topo map. A quality GPS is helpful to set up points for practicing, but a very simple method is the good'ol coffee can lids.

After you establish a decent 100 meter marked section, you can figure out your average "pace count". This is a simple procedure to figure out your pace count, and we count every time our left-foot hits the ground. Of course, this is usually done on flat terrain, but you'll have to compensate on irregular terrain...regardless, it helps when working with a topo map. We use the meter counts as our topo maps are much easier to manipulate with the metric system. As to the 100 meters, it allows you to move at smaller sections, using your azimuth measurements to remain more accurate as you move towards your destination; such as to a large tree, hill, etc.

The coffee can lids can be placed on the ground at various distances; if the area has tall grass, it helps to keep from cheating;) Knowing the azimuth and distance from one lid to others, you can practice on accuracy of both compass reading and your pace count. This allows you to practice staying on azimuth, shoot and execute a back-azimuth (this is great when bushwhacking from logging roads or rivers), executing a dog-leg to a reference point (often needed to move off your azimuth because of a terrain feature that you can't walk through such as a lake/swamp, cliff, river or other terrain feature that impedes your straight azimuth navigation).
If you have a topo map, you can easily calculate the change in declination for your area. Once you learn the rules, it's pretty simple to know your area...it won't change much if you're on foot. Here's a good site to see it, but every topo map will have it listed as well:
Magnetic Declination
If you don't maintain consistent calculation and take your declination into count, you can be off target 2700 meters after 10 miles with just a 10 degree declination difference. I think your area is around 14 degrees West.
Back to the basics...

Work on establishing your pace count.

Work on using your compass in conjunction with a good topo map. The first thing is to know how to orient your map with the compass. There are several practice problems that get you use to measuring distances, calculating azimuths and even finding your position with good terrain feature association.

From desk to field. Once you know your pace count, can practice shooting a azimuth (maintain the consistency with declination calculations), can orient your compass to a topo map and perform good terrain association.
One exercise I've done with my kids is to have them sit at the campfire, and with a map and compass, orient themselves, make the necessary declination calculation and point out the prominent terrain features. Next, I would give them an azimuth and distance. They would hike in the specified distance and shoot a back azimuth to return. If I was really motivated, I'd hang a large VS-17 signal panel from a tree and give them a couple of azimuths and distance to adjust their direction and leave a note on how to return. It's harder to do than you think when you start using pin-point locations (hence the coffee can lid exercise). I really like the back azimuth when bushwhacking as it's a good general return direction if you're in thickly wooded areas without any prominent terrain features.

Cammenga’s wrist compass is probably one of the best for the price. I’ve used mine in both Iraq and Afghanistan and they have held up well. Of course, they’re not very accurate, but handy to keep you moving in a general direction or orienting yourself quickly, but not necessarily accurately. Mine was actually used when flying or driving to know which general direction we were headed.

Good luck Scott and let us know what you guys plan on doing.

ROCK6

Back