Comprehensive List of Machete Manufacturers?

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
So the more I dig the more obscure companies I start finding. So, to our members in Central/South America (and those in the know, like Joezilla)--what companies do you know of?

So far I can think of (off the top of my head):

Barteux
Bellota
Briddell
Campos Hermanos
Case (not presently making machetes)
Chies
Cold Steel
Collins (defunct)
Condor
Corneta
Corona
DINGZHOU JINLONG
Disston
ESEE Knives
Gerber
Ghirardi
Hansa
Imacasa
Imbel
Invermec: Incolma/Aguilar/Corneta/Gavilan (website inoperable at present)
Kabar
Lasher
Linder
Lovson
Marbles--defunct, formerly made by Imacasa
Martindale/Chillington
Matão
Meyerco
Montero
Okapi
Ontario Knife Company
Oreste Frati
Paraboni
Promedoca
Saico
Saro
SOG
Svord
Tramontina
True Temper
Truper
Village Blacksmith (brand)
Windlass Steelcrafts
Woodsman's Pal

So who am I missing? I know there are more. Let's avoid any brands that are low-quality Chinese production (like Fury, United, etc. Thanks a bunch for any info you can provide.

Last edited:
Which of those would you recommend 42? Lets say on two levels...
Quality first, price is no object and your recommendation is:
Price first and quality isn't a concern and your recommendation is:

Quality first:
Condor
Imacasa
Hansa
Tramontina
Cold Steel

Price first:
Tramontina
Cold Steel
Hansa/Imacasa
Condor

But that's just my opinion based on my own preferences, biases, and experience. Some of the brands up there (Corona and Incolma for instance) I don't have experience with. I've played around with most of them though. :)

Imacasa is the way. All other machete companies bow down before the awesomeness that is Imacasa.

I would put Imacasa right up there with Tramontina in prices outside the US. $6-$9

Bellota
SOG
Gavilan (invermec: who also is Corneta, Incolma, Aguilar)
Collins (not defunct, just made in Guatemala)
Promedoca
Barteux (US made, not producing hardly anything right now)
True Temper (Tang stamp, some were made out of country)
DINGZHOU JINLONG
Village Blacksmith (brand)
Svord
Saico
Saro

Last edited:
I would put Imacasa right up there with Tramontina in prices outside the US. $6-$9

Bellota
SOG

Would that it were that way here. :p

Thanks for the extra info. Got a link to the Guatamala Collins? Or are those just the Nicholson ones like the one I polished up? :):thumbup:

Oh, and check your inbox. :)

Last edited:
Windlass Steel
Oreste Frati

Lasher
Lovson
Montero
Disston
Campos Hermanos
Imbel
Okapi
Briddell

Last edited:
Ghirardi
Case (not making machetes now)

Last edited:
This is a great list. I think it needs to be a sticky somewhere that we can point people to.

Also if anyone knows the web address of any of the companies on the list that aren't presently linked, lemme know. :)

Are/was the Marbles machetes made by Imacasa? I've seen some on the 'net at decent prices.

I've about decided I need a decent 12"-14" machete. I have been looking at the Ontario, Marbles, Tramontina, etc. and figure probably all of them could stand a little modding.

Condor is releasing a super cheap version of their latin machete this year: Eco-Survivor

It will be in the $10-$20 range
DSC09368.jpg

The most common brand in farm and hardware store around here is Truper from Mexico.

Thanks! Added to the list.

If anyone wants to help me track down web addresses for any of these guys, please do! It's awful difficult on ones own. :p

I was asked about Brazilian machetes recently in an e-mail.

I'm going to go ahead and list the lower end manufacturers here in Brazil. Here the giant center of the market is dominated by Tramontina with other makers trying to capture the high and low ends. Most of these websites are only in Portuguese.

Chies - Supposedly located across the street from the Tramontina factory they are getting more available. Personally I don't like them as much as the Tramontina. I buy these in the longer lengths (18 - 20) for use clearing vacant lots. They are made of SAE 1070. They are trying to cut into the lower end of machete sales.

http://www.metalurgicachies.com.br/facoes02.htm

Corneta - These have a trumpet on the side and black lines running down the blade. Supposedly they have better steel than a Tramontina. They cost more and I haven’t used them due to the fact I haven’t found them with wood handles.

http://www.corneta.com.br/catalogo_lista.php?idc=41

SAICO - This company mostly makes knives for sale in the mass market. They have real potential if they would make designs with input from users not the film-going public. They do (or did) make a 13 and 15 inch short heavy machete, the only one of this type I have ever found here (not currently listed in their website). From their website “All knives of the SAICO brand are made in SAE 1080 steel, modified in accordance with Saico’s specifications to guarantee the greatest capacity of sharpening and resistance to impacts."

http://www.saico.com.br/br/

Matão – I don’t have any experience with these but they look good on the website. They seem to have staked out the better looking, more visually appealing, better finished market territory.

http://www.facaomatao.com.br/

Paraboni - Strictly lower end of the market. They apparently only make the Latin pattern blades from 10 to 22 inches from what I've seen

http://www.paraboni.com.br/index_interno.php?local=produto&id_linha=4&id_grupo=Fac%E3o

Back