Condor Kukri Heavy Duty Knife & Alone

I just started watching season one of Alone and noticed the Condor Kukri. What are the advantages of that vs a larger fixed blade like a Junglas, BK9, etc?

Got a workable edge on mine. It will slice paper but will take awhile to get it exactly like I want as it isn't "pretty."

I think I may have put too low an angle on it but I don't expect to cut dry hardwoods. Hopefully I'll get to work with it tomorrow.

I really like hatchets but I see how this kukri can be far more versatile as a cutter, slicer as well as what I would use a machete for when chopping limbs and weeds.

I got my Condor CTK255-10HC Heavy Duty Kukri dubbed "The Beast" pretty much when this conversation was happening - in Sept of 2015. This may be a bit late of a reply but, I bought an old (like new) Schrade USA HS-1 Honesteel knife sharpener and it did the job in a few minutes. Got it razor sharp with no scratches or signs of sharpening. This particular USA made (not to be confused with the copycat China made ones of today) sharpener is small at 7 inches but lasts a lifetime and has rounded sides that can be used like a sharpening rod as well. That's pretty much the way I used it on the kukri....and my other knives too. It also serves as a chisel to break the pelvic bone on deer... ...so I've heard. It comes with a leather sheath that serves as a handle but must be held stern to serve its purpose. An awesome must have tool for knife enthusiasts if you ask me. Just go easy, with less and less pressure as you go, following the angle of the blade right on the edge only and in no time you'll have a razor sharp knife of any size. Not sure how it does with the newer, harder stainless steels but I'm a high carbon blade guy so, I'm very satisfied with it.

Last edited:
I never saw the attraction to using a bent knife, it feels awkward to me, all off center with no balance. But that's just me.

It's designed that way (forward heavy) to serve as a multipurpose tool for self-defense, chopping wood, etc., as well as a knife. To some people there's no need for this particular, historically proven, very practical multipurpose tool and that's cool.

Many patterns are historically proven, probably most of them. I own 2 12" Fiddleback machetes a pattern which I wood call just about perfect. A kukri is like writing with a bent pencil, the more you do it the better you get, but why do it, especially when trying to make holes in wood or any other type of point work.

I haven't used my Condor in awhile. I think the edge needs thinning as it wants to twist in the hand on impact rather than drive through the limb.

I bought a Becker BK4 and even though it is lighter and smaller it wacks through limbs and brush better without the tendency to twist. I think some thinning behind the edge will make it a better brush cutter.

I never saw the attraction to using a bent knife, it feels awkward to me, all off center with no balance. But that's just me.

The entire point of the Kukri is its off centered balance. It has the balance that for most would resemble the feel of a hatchet or tomahawk but with the added benefit of being able to do knife and machete chores as well. Once you get used to a well made kukri it is awkward to be without one.

To answer the original question of "what are the advantages of a kukri over a large fixed blade knife," I would have to say that in such a one tool survival tool, the kukri can do it all well. After the initial learning curve the kukri is safe, efficient and a near perfect one tool choice. It can chop better than any other knife, especially over the long term. It can clear brush and process wood for virtually any task in a fraction of the time of a knife. It cuts like a knife, splits, stabs, hammers, digs and if ever needed as a self defense tool is second to none (as far as a blade is concerned.)

I normally take a variety of blades, Hawks or small axes when I camp and normally find that I use the kukri 80% of the time. I'm good with them, I enjoy using them and I can do things with a wrist flick that would take considerable effort with a standard knife. Don't get me wrong, I love my pocket knife, SRK, BK2, Trailmaster and KaBar but long gone are the days when they were my go-to blades.

If I were on that show and had only one tool to take with me, without a doubt it would be a kukri. It's not for everyone but I love them.

Primitives all over the world use big knives to do the work of small knives. You just have to know how, that's all. But there's no way to make a small knife do the work of a big knife.

Back