considering a talwar 4" XHP

So, I'm considering a 4" Talwar in XHP/DLC green g10. I've never owned a cold steel folder before as I always thought they were on the cheap side of folders. ZT, spyderco, strider, benchmade, etc have all come first before trying cold steel. Now that I find myself scaling back my purchases in an effort to save more... I find myself looking at Cold steel with the XHP steel upgrade. I'm looking for a good combo beater/SD knife(hoping to never use it for SD). If I'm used to much "nicer" and more expensive knives, will I be setting myself up for disappointment, or will I be pleasantly surprised with the Talwar 4"?

at the moment, it looks like I can snag one for around $75

I frequently pop a CS in my pocket as the large half of my EDC. They tend to not be as sexy as a nice Spyderco or Benchmade, but they are quite functional. Every brand can let a lemon slip through here and there, but I have had good luck with CS. I appreciate having a knife that I am not going to think twice about beating up or cry over losing, since they can usually take the abuse and are not going to break my piggy bank if I lose or break it. I really don't like CS's legal bullying, but some of their products are good enough that I keep coming back. I think you will like it just fine.

I'm a bit of a Cold Steel fan but I also own many brands from $10 Moras to $1000 Busses. I personally see Cold Steel folders every bit as good if not better then anything from Spyderco, Benchmade and ZT. In fact, I would say that the majority of Cold Steels are more durable then the other brands and the new steel moves them even further ahead. The only thing you will have to get use to on the Cold Steel folders is the triad lock, which is different. It takes them a bit of time to wear in and they aren't as fun to deploy as my favorite ZT flippers. Now, if you have XXL hands like me, the large Talwar could be a bit narrow for you. I'm a huge fan of all of the XL models from Cold Steel. :thumbup:

So, I'm considering a 4" Talwar in XHP/DLC green g10. I've never owned a cold steel folder before as I always thought they were on the cheap side of folders. ZT, spyderco, strider, benchmade, etc have all come first before trying cold steel. Now that I find myself scaling back my purchases in an effort to save more... I find myself looking at Cold steel with the XHP steel upgrade. I'm looking for a good combo beater/SD knife(hoping to never use it for SD). If I'm used to much "nicer" and more expensive knives, will I be setting myself up for disappointment, or will I be pleasantly surprised with the Talwar 4"?

at the moment, it looks like I can snag one for around $75

I have owned almost every single model of Cold Steel folders under 4 inches, and i also own many Spydercos, ZT and Benchmade. I can tell you that you will not be disappointed. The fit & finish is on part with those big names. CS has one of the the best price/performance & quality ratio IMO. For $75 the talwar has better steel and stronger lock than a Benchmade Bedlam(which i think is similar) yet it cost less than 1/2 the price. Being made in America doesn't justify the 100% increase in price.

For $75 im assuming you are getting the brown/green handled one with black blade? I own one of this, and I can't find flaw in mine:

12826303_566536810170484_597114405_n.jpg

Cold steel folders are the best you can get for the money. I have Chris reeve, spyderco and microtechs and I always come back to cold steel. Cannot beat them for the money. Plus they are the only brand out there I would consider to be fit for self defense and hard use applications.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Where can you get one for $75?

I found $80 for green/brown version at one of the most popular knife store. Not sure if they are in BF approved vendor list, but they got youtube channel with 80k subscribers. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

I found $80 for green/brown version at one of the most popular knife store. Not sure if they are in BF approved vendor list, but they got youtube channel with 80k subscribers. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Yup, mine ended up being $83.98 after shipping. I just snagged a green one. Looking forward to it.

Got it at the HQ ;)

Yup, mine ended up being $83.98 after shipping. I just snagged a green one. Looking forward to it.

Got it at the HQ ;)
Do remember to depress the lock bar using your thumb knuckle instead of the tip as it would be much much easier (triads are harder to depress than normal lock backs). Hope you enjoy your new purchase!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Do remember to depress the lock bar using your thumb knuckle instead of the tip as it would be much much easier (triads are harder to depress than normal lock backs). Hope you enjoy your new purchase!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

+1 no finger tip and u'll be fine

I don't mind some cold steel and I don't have any experience with their folders.

That said I wanted a talwar so I wouldn't tear up my. Bedlam lol
(this is a viscous and useful folder )

although I've kinda stopped carrying my benchmades for the fact that as nice as they are (I'm still going to add a 940 d2cf) HEAVY the steel liner might add strength, but it adds a ton of weight.

If benchmade made a full CF or switched to TI liners I would trade this out as I really love the bedlam it has more functionality other then a bad ass weapon.

If the cold steel isn't complete crap I might give one a try but I don't know if it's "nicer" then a bedlam . Edit I mean I think it's worth the price BEING made in the usa it adds pride of ownership in MY opinion (not hating don't burn me lol)
I will admit I saw them on sale and they where tempting

I've carried and used CR Sebenza, Hinderer, and many others. CS folders are fantastic.

I don't mind some cold steel and I don't have any experience with their folders.

That said I wanted a talwar so I wouldn't tear up my. Bedlam lol
(this is a viscous and useful folder )

although I've kinda stopped carrying my benchmades for the fact that as nice as they are (I'm still going to add a 940 d2cf) HEAVY the steel liner might add strength, but it adds a ton of weight.

If benchmade made a full CF or switched to TI liners I would trade this out as I really love the bedlam it has more functionality other then a bad ass weapon.

If the cold steel isn't complete crap I might give one a try but I don't know if it's "nicer" then a bedlam . Edit I mean I think it's worth the price BEING made in the usa it adds pride of ownership in MY opinion (not hating don't burn me lol)
I will admit I saw them on sale and they where tempting

Well i respect your opinion, and everyone has their own definition of value. Sometimes i value my ZT more and i baby them, but deep down i know it's functionally inferior to all my CS collections in terms of real use. I would personally take Talwar over Bedlam anyday of the week, maybe buy all 3 variants of Talwar(brown, green, and black) for only slightly more than a Bedlam.
Efficiency such as strengh:weight, performance: price ratio means more to me in terms of pride of ownership than where it's made. Im probably just more pragmatic.

Yea but I've just had so much JUNK cold steel fixed blades (granted I got what I paid for) it left a bad taste in my mouth .

Now I'm not a benchmade fan boy either I think spyderco has the most pocket time logged in .

But I know the benchmades I have edc have all shown superior steel (in my most humble opinion ) To the cold steels I have had (like I said I haven't tried their folders or their San mai).

Mabey I'll give it a shot :)

I like my ZT'S too I have just not developed a huge taste for flippers but I love my 0560 and 0452.

My pockets have been split Lately by mostly an SMF followed by a SnG or a TAD mk 4 CF dauntless (great little blade) and either a small fixed blade or smaller sheeple folder for my left side

But I like large folders it's why I was tempted with the talwar

Yea but I've just had so much JUNK cold steel fixed blades (granted I got what I paid for) it left a bad taste in my mouth .

Now I'm not a benchmade fan boy either I think spyderco has the most pocket time logged in .

But I know the benchmades I have edc have all shown superior steel (in my most humble opinion ) To the cold steels I have had (like I said I haven't tried their folders or their San mai).

Mabey I'll give it a shot :)

I'd take Cold Steels CTS-XHP over Benchmades standard 154CM any day of the week.

I'd take Cold Steels CTS-XHP over Benchmades standard 154CM any day of the week.

One thing is for sure.... i plan to test it and see. My most recent jump back has been from a Breitling watch to a Seiko turtle. So getting a cold steel is a big jump back for me as well. Its not that i can't afford nicer things its more a question of are these things really worth that much in the grand scheme of things.

Back