considering a talwar 4" XHP

I think I'll buy one just to see as well.

If anything I can throw it in the dash of my truck for an emergency blade:)

I don't Wana "step back" into lower end blades either probably the biggest thing holding me back cause I already have a huge pile of 150$ or less that just aren't seeing.pocket time... and it's not a.money thing more of I'm tired of junk EDIT they aren't all junk but some I wouldn't buy again

If I use the talwar I'd be lucky to get 50 Bucks for it. I KNOW I can sell my SnG for many times more even used

Last edited:
Cold Steels are not a "step back" at all. Actually the fit and finish is on par with any other brand I have, plus they are WAY tougher with awesome ergos and quality materials. The only reason they are as affordable as they are is because they are Taiwanese produced. They are purpose driven and most are meant to be self defense tools, not pocket jewelry or letter opener/apple peelers like many other brands that are 3x the price. I bought a benchmade a few weeks ago and already want to sell it. In fact I am considering selling off some of my zt's, a few spydercos and one of my microtechs and replacing them with some of the newer blades in cts-xhp. If you are thinking that a cold steel will be similar to a Chinese Kershaw or something similar with that "cheap" feel to it, it wont be. They are some high quality blades.

Trust me I've owned plenty of cold steel JUNK

just haven't tried their folders

Edit perhaps all this is a cry to try one of the folders and see for.my self then I WILL know for sure :)

Last edited:
I have the piece of junk shovel. Think I'll throw it in the jeep with all the other rubbish haha.

One thing is for sure.... i plan to test it and see. My most recent jump back has been from a Breitling watch to a Seiko turtle. So getting a cold steel is a big jump back for me as well. Its not that i can't afford nicer things its more a question of are these things really worth that much in the grand scheme of things.

Price doesn't always mean the best quality or functionality. I have multiple knives in my collection over the $1000 range but most often the Cold Steels find their way into my pocket and into use in the field. I equate it to be very similar to handguns. I have a few highend custom 1911's that cost some serious cash but the $400 Glock is what is always on my hip when its time to go to work. ;)

I've always considered CS products as affordable, and very good bang for the buck, especially if you shop around. I've bought a bunch of 'em over the years, from original tanto (brass guard and pommel), Red River blades, SRK, Master Hunters, California Drop-Point, Twistmasters, Voyagers, and lately, an American Lawman and a Recon 1 drop point, the latter two in CTS-XHP -- a terrific steel. Hard to go wrong with any CS knife IMHO.

If the Natchez bowie out of Taiwan is any example of their FF It ain't great by no means ....

It is a bowie like object that will take a pretty good beating for 150 or so can't remember.
(They know this is what their customers are going to do that's why the HEAT TREAT is a Lil soft imo)

Other then that the handle is a crap design and mine is twisted ( a clear custom touch) and the blade just feels dead to me ( lack of a distal taper)

But for the price it does what it's told

Edit I'm thinking of reprofiling iT to have better flow and feel

Do remember to depress the lock bar using your thumb knuckle instead of the tip as it would be much much easier (triads are harder to depress than normal lock backs). Hope you enjoy your new purchase!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I use my finger tip all the time (tip of either thumb depending on which hand I have it in). Or tip of pointer finger.

I've been trying to figure out how I would depress it with my thumb knuckle?

I've been trying but my thumb is too big. I'm assuming you mean the joint of the thumb between the pad and the next bone. No go. Too big.

But I've never had trouble with my finger tips. Be it thumb or finger tip.

New Talwar is high class near Benchmade 710, Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or even better. My green CTS-XHP with satin Aus-8.

azvlGOP.jpg

d1WQyqq.jpg

New Talwar is high class near Benchmade 710, Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or even better. My green CTS-XHP with satin Aus-8.

azvlGOP.jpg

d1WQyqq.jpg

What!? New CS knives have better f&f than benchmade or spyderco?!?! This is sacrilege! It cannot be! How dare you challenge the status quo...

got mine today.... early delivery by 2 days! It didn't come super sharp so I changed that on the medium sharpmaker stones. Carries well for such a huge folder. I consider myself pleasantly surprised after one day of carry.

If the Natchez bowie out of Taiwan is any example of their FF It ain't great by no means ....

It is a bowie like object that will take a pretty good beating for 150 or so can't remember.
(They know this is what their customers are going to do that's why the HEAT TREAT is a Lil soft imo)

Other then that the handle is a crap design and mine is twisted ( a clear custom touch) and the blade just feels dead to me ( lack of a distal taper)

But for the price it does what it's told

Edit I'm thinking of reprofiling iT to have better flow and feel

Jesus dude, we get it, you don't like CS products. Thanks for your input.

PS, that bowie is actually NOT meant to 'beat' on, this is likely why you have twisted the handle. It's good to have an understanding of the purpose/design that went into the tool you're using.

Uh what .
This will be my last post here
Beings that the handle is not a full tang (some cable pos) they epoxy the handle on at the factory ..... mines twisted since day one .... what's so hard to understand?

And I "beat" on it cause I can do what I want and cause it's supposed be able to take it if it can't do what I did with it i don't want it ( it did do most things ok but not great)

So , what was it designed for ?..... fighting? If so it a very POOR excuse ....like I said it feels DEAD ... if you don't know what this means Mabey you don't know what your talking about .

Trust me I have no axe against cold steel. More of a well deserved distrust.

I want to like their product (was really hoping that bowie was more than it was but what do you expect for the price?) But I am reluctant to.

Like I have said 3 times and this will be the last I have never tried their folders and for 80 bones I MIGHT give one a try .

I never set out to bash cold steel but I just hate it when peeps make them MORE then they are. An affordable knife
I have lusted for some of their more high end stuff but the stuff I did buy made me to leary to plop 300 on them (or more) .

These are my opinions and I'm not forcing anything down anyone's throat.

Just my 2

Last edited:
Uh what .
Beings that the handle is not a full tang (some cable pos) they epoxy the handle on at the factory ..... mines twisted since day one .... what's so hard to understand?

And I "beat" on it cause I can do what I want and cause it's supposed be able to take it if it can't do what I did with it i don't want it ( it did do most things ok but not great)

So , what was it designed for ?..... fighting? If so it a very POOR excuse ....like I said it feels DEAD ... if you don't know what this means Mabey you don't know what your talking about .

I want to like their product (was really hoping that bowie was more than it was but what do you expect for the price?) But I am reluctant to.

Like I have said 3 times and this will be the last I have never tried their folders and for 80 bones I MIGHT give one a try .

I never set out to bash cold steel but I just hate it when peeps make them MORE then they are. An affordable knife
I have lusted for some of their more high end stuff but the stuff I did buy made me to leary to plop 300 on them (or more) .

Just my 2

Wanna buy it, buy it. Don't wanna buy it, don't buy it. What's the point of going on and on about 'maybe' buying something here, while bashing the company about the poor quality and arguing with people with different opinions. We respect your opinion, if it's crap for you, it's fine, we get it, move on with your life then. Or are you drama-ing here hoping for people to change your mind? We have posted pictures, reviews, experience etc. Not sure what else you can get from here if you already have prejudice against CS products.

Good point.

나의 SM-N900T 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Uh what .

Just my 2
What fixed blade are you talking about?

나의 SM-N900T 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

CS knives aRE Strong quality knives and prices are good ,and they are the ones id take if had to rely on a knife for anything.Other companies make good knives too but these are strongest and best for price.

Wanna buy it, buy it. Don't wanna buy it, don't buy it. What's the point of going on and on about 'maybe' buying something here, while bashing the company about the poor quality and arguing with people with different opinions. We respect your opinion, if it's crap for you, it's fine, we get it, move on with your life then. Or are you drama-ing here hoping for people to change your mind? We have posted pictures, reviews, experience etc. Not sure what else you can get from here if you already have prejudice against CS products.

If you read where I started in this thread ......
You would see the only point I'm trying to make is when someone says one company has better fit and finish then the other

Then turn all your not with us your against us attitude when it's just not true.

1 person said they thought the talwar was better then a bedlam

I DON'T KNOW. Being i dont own a talwar .

But the bedlam fit and finish blows my cold steel product

THAT I HAVE ACTUAL REAL EXPERIENCE WITH away

As I said before the only.real way for me.to know is to buy and try.

This cannot be made simpler you just want to brand me a hater because I point out truth?

No longer worth my time in this thread :)

You would see the only point I'm trying to make is when someone says one company has better fit and finish then the other

Then turn all your not with us your against us attitude when it's just not true.

This cannot be made simpler you just want to brand me a hater because I point out truth?

First off.... can we get this thread back on track.

Second.... you said several posts ago you were done. I have little doubt the bedlams fit and finish is better, but my original thought was to find a great knife with good f and f at an awesome price point so i picked the talwar over the auto bedlam. No regret

Lets carry on with the original topic.

Ive carried my talwar for 2 days straight and i do like it. So much that I'm considering a mini recon 1 tanto to compliment it. Ive ALWAYS discounted cold steel is gimmicky and cheap and just plain not worth my time. At the price point and at this current time.... the XHP upgrade makes alot of cold steel knives the best bang for your buck at the moment and coincidentally overall better than more high doller folders. Ive already cut up cardboard with the talwar and the DLC coating shows LITTLE wear if any at all. XHP sharpens up super easily. Given how large the talwar is i don't think it will be my everyday user but more a backup to a smaller more people friendly folder and at its given weight this means ill be carrying 2 knives instead of 1. My previous carry has been a zt0909, and as awesome as it is.... its heavy. Im happy with my purchase and glad i decided to give CS a try given their new upgrades

Hope this is your real last post on this thread then :)
No one is branding u a hater or anything. You have ur opinion, you gave it. Just don't know why keep going on and on about maybe buying it, maybe not, maybe crap, maybe good. It u wanna try it, try it, see for yourself. If you already think it's crap, move on to other dozens of companies that makes good knife too. As you said, you have no experience with CS's folders, and others are sharing their experience with their cs folders, so there's really nothing to argue about. Plus even though you might be right about some of their fixed blade being crap, u honestly think things are gonna go well calling CS crap in CS forums? You'll probably gonna get a more condescending stuff said to you if you do that on other manufacturers forums.

Back to the topic, I've owned all CS folders 4 inches and below. I also owned more than 1/2 of all ZT model and other Spyderco and Banchmade(griptilian 20cv, 710, stryker, HK). I do honestly think that the CS Talwar's quality is on par with Benchmade's equivalent(Bedlam)for less than 1/2 the price. It's also stronger(lock), lighter, thinner, better steel(arguably), has 'wave' feature and slightly more balanced IMO. It's affordable, and the key point is it's much better bang for the bucks. Sorry if this offends you.

Last edited:
Back