Contest

JK Knives

The rules are simple, post a picture of your favorite JK Knife that you own, not someone else’s knife, and tell why it’s your favorite, and what you use it for. I’ll let the contest run for two weeks, then choose a winner. There will be a prize, just not sure yet what it will be.

o3qZyBu.jpg

Not really fair to join the contest so I'll bow out since I only own one JK knife, but I still had to post a picture. She's a beauty. It's enough of a beast to handle campfire duties, yet graceful enough to prep food and carve a greenwood spoon. It's my favorite JK because it's my first JK. It's my favorite because John took a design I crudely drew up on cardboard and turned it into a stunning looking and completely functional tool.

20190315-140358-2.jpg

While I love my JK Pocket Chef, my favorite is still my Bluegill. It just does everything beautifully. I've cut everything from plastic sheet, zip ties, cloth, cardboard, steak, chicken, pork, and it peels my apples everyday. The O1 sharpens easily, holds a great edge, and has developed a fantastic patina. The Osage has gracefully darkened with age, highlighting the incredible chatoyance. The brass and red mosaic pin pops even more today than when new, and even the blue liners have darkened to a wonderful Royal Blue.

IMG_0249.JPG

I like the spear point of this one and you cannot go wrong with desert ironwood. The point is good for fine work and still has a enough belly to slice well in the kitchen. To me it is like a stretched Kephart.

Last edited:
my (so far as I know) one-off "big" bushcrafter.
it was my first JK and unless I've misplaced one, currently my only.
all of the others have been gifted.
42913856_10156670202114603_6398377595926216704_n.jpg

it's a good GP size & shape with a decent balance and a handle that's comfortable in a variety of holds.

It is really difficult to decide which is my absolute favorite, but if I had to choose just one as my fav, the IFSA knife would be it.

John made me this little jewel when I started my business and sent it to me out of the blue one day.

I love this little guy, and I use it to cut target cardboard, and pry staples out of snow-fence wood - the kind of thing I do quite a bit of.
John's 01 steel holds up great to this, being tough and does not chip or roll - of course I can't beat on a knife this small, but I never worry about hurting it (or any of my JK's for that matter).

Anyway - that's my favorite - for many reasons - but I am rarely far from this knife.

DSC_6255.JPG
[/URL]
DSC_6256.JPG

DSC_6257.JPG

DSC_6258.JPG

best

mqqn

Rule #9.
I have a lot of knives and a lot of really tough custom knives. The one I reach for when something needs to be cut is the Rule #9. It just works. Every time.
I3niwgH.jpg

Last edited:
Not an entry, but just wanted to share my favorite JK and why.

I have several that were gifts and they are equally my favorites, but I gotta go with the Tool.
Not because I designed it, but because when I was laid off from work back in '13 or'14, some here including you John, generously chipped in to pay for it so I could keep it when I tried to sell it on the EX.
I am sorry I don't remember everyone that chipped in since so much has happened to me since then :oops: , but you guys gave me a boost with your kindness when I was down and I want you to know that I am eternally grateful.:)
The warmth of kindness I feel when I handle it has cemented the Tool as my all time favorite JK.:thumbsup: :cool:
I don't get to use it as much as I used to, but I have used it extensively while camping and day tripping.
Thank you so very much guys.

I'll add a pic when I get back from a hike later today.
Okay, I managed to get a fairly good pic.
qFEEfna.jpg

Last edited:
All of these knives are really nice looking! If I had to make a choice on this contest, I would just have to throw my hands in the air! I don't know where I'd go from there, I think I would have to throw in the towel! Wurrwulf, that is a beautiful handle, and that rivet really stands out with the color of the wood! Nice patina too! mqqn, that is a beautiful and special little knife! Man, what a thing John can really be proud of! Mykel M, that is a real tribute to our little group! I thank you for that! Later guy's!

Thanks Tom - and Mykel - and Mack -

I have a beautiful Bushcrafter that Mykel customized, which will never leave my collection while I have say. I also have a beautiful RN9 that I had some customizations made - which kinda is a JK thing, and I love the knife - again: Estate sale....
I also have some of my own designs, and one by Cooper, and JDS1 - and others.
Like I said - hard to pick just one. XD, Twig Mangler ....

The piece I use the most in the winter is the JK Kydex window scraper. I'll let John explain why all of you don't have one of those handy little beyotches.

best

mqqn

Mine would have to be my E01 Hunter. For years I looked for what I considered the perfect EDC fixed blade to handle everything I do day to day. As soon as I saw this knife and the dimensions I had to have it. This knife has traveled hundreds of miles with me during its short life so far and is never to far away. It pulls more than its weight in the kitchen and can butcher a deer like non other! From opening envelopes to batoning nasty knotted mesquite for the grill. It can do finesse/delicate tasks, and Johns treatment to the 01 can do a lot of things I wouldn't put my other knives through and ask for more. The knife is truly an extension of my arm and John has created a true companion knife for me.
IMG_3332.JPG

It is really difficult to decide which is my absolute favorite, but if I had to choose just one as my fav, the IFSA knife would be it.

John made me this little jewel when I started my business and sent it to me out of the blue one day.

I love this little guy, and I use it to cut target cardboard, and pry staples out of snow-fence wood - the kind of thing I do quite a bit of.
John's 01 steel holds up great to this, being tough and does not chip or roll - of course I can't beat on a knife this small, but I never worry about hurting it (or any of my JK's for that matter).

Anyway - that's my favorite - for many reasons - but I am rarely far from this knife.

DSC_6255.JPG
[/URL]
DSC_6256.JPG

DSC_6257.JPG

DSC_6258.JPG

best

mqqn
I didn't realize John had made that one out of the blue for you Andy.
Very cool.

All of these knives are really nice looking! If I had to make a choice on this contest, I would just have to throw my hands in the air! I don't know where I'd go from there, I think I would have to throw in the towel! Wurrwulf, that is a beautiful handle, and that rivet really stands out with the color of the wood! Nice patina too! mqqn, that is a beautiful and special little knife! Man, what a thing John can really be proud of! Mykel M, that is a real tribute to our little group! I thank you for that! Later guy's!
Thanks Tom, it really is a tribute to John and the fine folks that hang here.

If I could vote and if it was an entry, I would vote for mykel m just for the story.
Thanks man.

20190315-140358-2.jpg

While I love my JK Pocket Chef, my favorite is still my Bluegill. It just does everything beautifully. I've cut everything from plastic sheet, zip ties, cloth, cardboard, steak, chicken, pork, and it peels my apples everyday. The O1 sharpens easily, holds a great edge, and has developed a fantastic patina. The Osage has gracefully darkened with age, highlighting the incredible chatoyance. The brass and red mosaic pin pops even more today than when new, and even the blue liners have darkened to a wonderful Royal Blue.
That is one beautiful knife.Love the red mosaic with the aged Osage.

Back