• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

CONUS only

I have done it, but don't like to.

I have to go to my PO to get acual cost and ask about restrictions to that country. Then I have to come back and give the buyer the cost before he can pay. Then I have to go back to PO and fill out a form I'm not fimiliar with and have to go over very carefull to avoid a mistake.
Then when my postmaster tells me I can't send a knife to Germany, I come back home having wasted more time and gas. Then when I tell the buyer I can't ship there they start a thread telling what happened and that they have got plenty of knives from the US. Not to mention having to hear them in 3 emails how my postmaster is wrong. The whole room was confused when the German laws were posted, but it clearly states...nothing that can be considered a weapon. I don't study the laws and just do what my Postmaster tells me.
All but one person has asked me to lie on a Federal form about the contents and price, which I won't do.

In a short version...its just way to much trouble for me. I may do it again, but it's a pain in the ass.

No one is denying that most sellers here would rather ship CONUS only but for international buyers there are a few things you can do to help sway the seller's to your side.

Good post.

For the record, whining about how "lazy" US shippers are isn't one of those things.

I have done it, but don't like to.

I have to go to my PO to get acual cost and ask about restrictions to that country. Then I have to come back and give the buyer the cost before he can pay. Then I have to go back to PO and fill out a form I'm not fimiliar with and have to go over very carefull to avoid a mistake.
Then when my postmaster tells me I can't send a knife to Germany, I come back home having wasted more time and gas. Then when I tell the buyer I can't ship there they start a thread telling what happened and that they have got plenty of knives from the US. Not to mention having to hear them in 3 emails how my postmaster is wrong. The whole room was confused when the German laws were posted, but it clearly states...nothing that can be considered a weapon. I don't study the laws and just do what my Postmaster tells me.
All but one person has asked me to lie on a Federal form about the contents and price, which I won't do.

In a short version...its just way to much trouble for me. I may do it again, but it's a pain in the ass.

Just a slight correction here. You do not have to go to your PO for the info. It is well documented on the USPS.com website. Prices, customs forms, and restrictions for shipping to Canada. Let your fingers do the walking.

Plus you can purchase and print up your own documents. All I do is drop it off at the local PO, get it scanned so I know its in the system and walk away.

When I ship to the USA I do all my own measuring, weighing etc with a little kit I got from ebay (free). I then go on canadapost.ca and voila print everything up in five minutes max. I have viewed the usps website and you have the same tools too.

Good post.

For the record, whining about how "lazy" US shippers are isn't one of those things.

I do not think it was inferred US shippers are lazy but the poster did say pretty much what I just did above. It is really plain simple and easy as per our postal systems.

Just a slight correction here. You do not have to go to your PO for the info. It is well documented on the USPS.com website. Prices, customs forms, and restrictions for shipping to Canada. Let your fingers do the walking.

Plus you can purchase and print up your own documents. All I do is drop it off at the local PO, get it scanned so I know its in the system and walk away.

When I ship to the USA I do all my own measuring, weighing etc with a little kit I got from ebay (free). I then go on canadapost.ca and voila print everything up in five minutes max. I have viewed the usps website and you have the same tools too.

Thats no correction, I realize usps has a wedsite:rolleyes: Like I said before, it's way to much trouble for me. I hate to even turn this thing on, much less use it for something usefull:p

And I sure don't want to fool with a measuring/weighting kit. And did you read my part about the guy I had a bad experience with?

I have shipped out of country to people I know here, but its still a pain in the ass compared to US sales. I'm no dealer, and usually only sell at cost when I do sell.

I'll still ship to certain people and countries if I know them well.

Good post.

Get over it already!! Talk about whining. It's no worse than you directly and in a derogative manner exclaiming no "foreigner" can tell you anything. The lazy context was used as one of many reasonsn anyone would balk at filling out a 30 second form. There have been many other reasons posted that have great and understandable merit to why no shipping outside the USA. You on the other hand chose a cavalier approach to an issue many take very seriously. You reap what you sew!!!

Get over it already!! Talk about whining. It's no worse than you directly and in a derogative manner exclaiming no "foreigner" can tell you anything. The lazy context was used as one of many reasonsn anyone would balk at filling out a 30 second form. There have been many other reasons posted that have great and understandable merit to why no shipping outside the USA. You on the other hand chose a cavalier approach to an issue many take very seriously. You reap what you sew!!!

Uh.....um......it took me a whopping 52 seconds to fill out the form via paypal :eek: *steps in $hit* :D

I guess it's different shipping to someone you know or at least see regularly here on bladeforums. Otherwise it's like shipping blind.

I don't personally mind whatever extra hassle it entails, but I am more comfortable shipping to someone I already know. I've taken a chance on strangers or newbies in the US, but I don't know if I would ship outside the country to someone I didn't know.

I have shipped knives all over the world, with no problem ever.

But it is getting worse......:grumpy::rolleyes:

I will be very careful who and were I ship to as time goes by.

Shipping larger knives?

You may want to look at this.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7877688.stm

Be careful, and cover your rear.

Todd

I have shipped knives all over the world, with no problem ever.

But it is getting worse......:grumpy::rolleyes:

I will be very careful who and were I ship to as time goes by.

Shipping larger knives?

You may want to look at this.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7877688.stm

Be careful, and cover your rear.

Todd

I agree it is getting worse as I ship knives all over the world from Canada. I will never and never have sold knives that even remotely bend the rules of the importing country. I will mark a knife, eg. Kabar Utility knife as a "Camping tool" as that is truly one of its functions. I also agree it is up to us, as buyers to know our import laws. Here in Canada I will never order certain folding knives IE. Kershaw A/O and Spyderco from outside Canada as I know I am just asking to have my knife seized. But when it comes to fixed blade knives other than push daggers, I have never had a knife held. Fixed blades are good to go in Canada. It is all a matter of common sense and common courtesy for a prospective buyer to be as informed as possible.

Some people do use the acronym CONUS to mean CONtinental United States. Others use it to mean CONtiguous United States, excluding Alaska as well as Hawaii. It's an ambiguous acronym.

Even this is not 100%. CONUS is more of a military term, the first time I ever heard it was the day I signed up to go to Germany in the Army. CONUS was a option and I suspect that's how many learned the term. Now its getting thrown into this which is not a good description as there is a entire system of U.S. Post Offices around the world where packages can be sent and retrieved from. The biggest as far as I know being the APO which is Army Post Office. If a guy is in the Army and stationed in Germany he will have a APO and there is no reason to not send him a knife if he places an order as it will be in U.S. Mail Custody from the time its mailed to the time its delivered.

There are also United States Post Offices at every U.S. Embassy in the world. You have MSGs Marine Security Guards and other potential customers that can receive U.S. mail at all of these. I'm not sure about the Navy but these guys at sea are not CONUS but they can receive U.S. Mail too. While this may be a small group of people there is no reason to miss a sell to them because of a lack of understanding of the system.

Maybe a better term would be "U.S. Mail Custody Only" or even "CONUS and APO Only" unless someone has something better.

I don't use PAYPAL and only accept U.S. Postal Money Orders as its 100% same as cash and traceable. I only use the U.S. Postal System exclusively and have never had a problem either coming or going.

I will mark a knife, eg. Kabar Utility knife as a "Camping tool" as that is truly one of its functions.

It may be one of its functions, but it is not an acceptable classification as far as Canada Customs is concerned. A few years ago I imported a camp knife and the seller listed it as a camping tool. The package was opened for inspection and the classification was changed to cutlery. For the next couple of years after that, every package I received that went through Customs was opened for inspection.

It may be one of its functions, but it is not an acceptable classification as far as Canada Customs is concerned. A few years ago I imported a camp knife and the seller listed it as a camping tool. The package was opened for inspection and the classification was changed to cutlery. For the next couple of years after that, every package I received that went through Customs was opened for inspection.

Can a U.S. seller get into trouble (for fraud or some other criminal offense) for shipping a knife overseas and declaring the value of the knife at a fraction of its value (because the buyer so requested)? I have principally been a US and Canada-only seller, but I have had inquries from interested potential buyers in Asia and elsewhere overseas who have asked me if I would reconsider shipping overseas, and if so, would I be willing to declare the price or value of the knife at a fraction of the selling price. I have refused to do this.

This strikes me as somewhat similar to being asked to describe the a knife as a "camping tool" rather than a knife or cutlery.

Last edited:
Can a U.S. seller get into trouble (for fraud or some other criminal offense) for shipping a knife overseas and declaring the value of the knife at a fraction of its value (because the buyer so requested)? I have principally been a US and Canada-only seller, but I have had inquries from interested potential buyers in Asia and elsewhere overseas who have asked me if I would reconsider shipping overseas, and if so, would I be willing to declare the price or value of the knife at a fraction of the selling price. I have refused to do this.

This strikes me as somewhat similar to being asked to describe the a knife as a "camping tool" rather than a knife or cutlery.

Yes I would say fudging the value would be illegall, whereas calling a Kabar utility knife a Camping tool is more of a a generalization of the item. I have been asked by overseas buyers to fudge the declaration, and have been told by the Post office, albeit Canadian, that to do so was not only illegal but it could also affect any insurance claims should the item be lost or damaged.

Yes, it is a Federal Form. It's sure not worth a federal felony charge to lie on a Federal form. I had to agree with my postmaster on that.

He also told me not to put camp tool unless it is for certain a camping tool.
I just go with what he suggest...all I know to do.

This recently started thread makes me worry even more about out of country shipping...
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620664

Yes, it is a Federal Form. It's sure not worth a federal felony charge to lie on a Federal form. I had to agree with my postmaster on that.

I certainly understand that if you are using USPS. But what if you ship via FedEx International or UPS?

I certainly understand that if you are using USPS. But what if you ship via FedEx International or UPS?

I don't have either near so I've always used my rural usps.
Good question, I'm not sure if you could get in trouble from putting the wrong amount or contents with those two or not. I assume you could???, but I wouldn't think it could be as bad as doing it on a federal form.

It is unlikely that anything will happen if you list a knife as a camping tool. If it is inspected and the Customs inspector feels it is the wrong classification, he/she will change it. Where there could be a problem is if you are sending a prohibited knife. The Customs Inspector may feel that you conspired with the importer to try to get something illegal into the country. That could lead to some problems.

Last edited:

What did he advised you as description - "big tactical knife designed for killing people"? This also can be truth but for most it's a camping tool so I can't see what is wrong here.
From my experience not all "CONUS only" sellers are same. Some of them prefer long time bumping and serious price reductions but to stay "CONUS only" others are not so persistent and actually just have some strange ideas like foreign buyers aren't understand that sipping outside US costs more and the total will be higher. The problem is you can't know who is who.
Sorry, my English isn't good enough but in case my post isn't clear let me know and I'll try make it better.

Last edited:
I have been burned several times shipping knives I've sold on ebay overseas. It just isn't worth the hassle. For me, it's much easier to take a few dollars less and sell to someone in the US so I can track the package.

Back