Corrosion testing

Yep exactly... Both one shot and xcp have very different properties though, the xcp is like a heavy oil that stays on the product whereas one shot evaporates off almost immediately.

Question on that. From what I've observed using Oneshot on firearms and now on knives, it's the carrier fluid for the aerosol and cleaner solvent that evaporates quickly, but that it does leave behind 2 substances for corrosion protection, and a light lubricant, that stick around after the other stuff evaporates. From what I've seen in your tests/pics, and some similar ones, the results showing pretty good corrosion protection would suggest that there is something that hangs on for a while.

Regard the 'light lubricant' aspect, IMHO, this is probably the weakest aspect of Oneshot, trying to use it as a lube. On any load-bearing part in a firearm, especially things like slides, rails in pistols, BCG's in an AR, bolts, etc., I like to use an actual light synthetic grease, either something like Super Lube, or more recently been using Slip EWG grease. Slip EWL 30 is like a liquid form of that same lube, and that's what I use to add a drop to the pivots of my folding knives. Basically Oneshot to clean/protect, and Slip EWL to lube the pivot.

Does that fit with what you've seen so far?

Question on that. From what I've observed using Oneshot on firearms and now on knives, it's the carrier fluid for the aerosol and cleaner solvent that evaporates quickly, but that it does leave behind 2 substances for corrosion protection, and a light lubricant, that stick around after the other stuff evaporates. From what I've seen in your tests/pics, and some similar ones, the results showing pretty good corrosion protection would suggest that there is something that hangs on for a while.

Regard the 'light lubricant' aspect, IMHO, this is probably the weakest aspect of Oneshot, trying to use it as a lube. On any load-bearing part in a firearm, especially things like slides, rails in pistols, BCG's in an AR, bolts, etc., I like to use an actual light synthetic grease, either something like Super Lube, or more recently been using Slip EWG grease. Slip EWL 30 is like a liquid form of that same lube, and that's what I use to add a drop to the pivots of my folding knives. Basically Oneshot to clean/protect, and Slip EWL to lube the pivot.

Does that fit with what you've seen so far?
Yes exactly, it definitely leaves a residue behind. It's supposed to be a dry lube, not sure how it compares to the greases or heavy oils though in the lubrication department. But Hornady is pretty good at making firearm stuff so I wouldn't hesitate to use some on my firearm.

Any updates to report?
No haven't had time to put a video together hahaha. I did compare the 3 top winners of the salt board on 1095 sandblasted blades and did 3 rounds, the wd40 LCTI won out between the 3.

No haven't had time to put a video together hahaha. I did compare the 3 top winners of the salt board on 1095 sandblasted blades and did 3 rounds, the wd40 LCTI won out between the 3.
Thanks for the update. Interesting. I'll have to look into the WD40 product. Over the years, I'd pretty much written them off, as they've routinely had poor results compared to most products, but this stuff looks like it's worth checking out.

Freshwater board is done and the results are extremly interesting...

i-tD5jpRz-XL.png

i-pGKm6z4-X2.jpg
wow...

It's an amazing test
It's so well organized.

I have a question

I want to use it for my knife
One shot , XCP two products

Is it okay to use it on a blade?

cpm-cruwear , s45vn blade.

Thank you so much for your reply!

wow...

It's an amazing test
It's so well organized.

I have a question

I want to use it for my knife
One shot , XCP two products

Is it okay to use it on a blade?

cpm-cruwear , s45vn blade.

Thank you so much for your reply!
Depends on your needs/uses and what you mean by "can you".

Is it OK for knife blades? Sure. They'll protect any metals.

Is it OK to coat a knife blade that will be used for food processing without cleaning this stuff off the blade? No. Neither of these are rated food safe.

If you're protecting a blade for storage, or a blade that's only used for woodworking and cutting things that aren't food, go for it.

exactly, what bluemax said. If you are wanting a foodsafe product that protects blades decently well I would go with froglube.

I've been using Camellia/Tsubaki oil to protect my blades for years now with solid results. It's a popular oil for Japanese kitchen knives. I wonder how it would stack up in compared to the others in this test... I imagine probably somewhere between mineral oil and coconut oil. It looks like I might have to switch to FrogLube.

Back