Corrosion testing

Well the salt corrosion board is done!!

i-DM2VZGm-X3.jpg

i-8kNRK9G-O.png

It appears the best rust inhibitor that's food safe is Frog Lube? I noticed you were using the liquid frog lube, I wonder how the paste would stack up against that one. With the paste they recommend heating up the metal first and then applying a thin layer while the metal is hot (the paste melts) and wiping off the residual after a few minutes of drying. I use this a lot on my knives.

I'm really glad to see this as well because I also use Mineral Oil & EDCI a LOT and it looks like they did very poorly.

Where did you find the XCP Rust Blocker? Everything I found brings you to UK websites.

It looks like the best bang for your buck is the WD40 LCTI.

Thanks for doing this!

REK Knives REK Knives great piece of research; thanks for taking the time to carry it out.

I wish I'd seen this thread before paying loads for two (big) bottles of edci to be shipped to Australia!

What really raises an eyebrow for me is the consistently good feedback and reviews the product gets, I thought I was buying quality and had done my homework. We live and learn.

Hi Josh,

Royal Purple makes an oil for firearms. It doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere but I would send some to you for free. I did some partial cover outdoor corrosion testing like 5 years ago and it stood out.

Works in extreme cold. Doesn't go bad. Treat a gun with it and leave it in a locked room for a few years and it will still seem freshly oiled. Seems slick enough.

It isn't food safe but it doesn't scare me like some other products do! If a product isn't food safe then I prefer NON aerosol.

Hornady One Shot hardens like glue after a few years, in my experience.

Hi Josh,

Royal Purple makes an oil for firearms. It doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere but I would send some to you for free. I did some partial cover outdoor corrosion testing like 5 years ago and it stood out.

Works in extreme cold. Doesn't go bad. Treat a gun with it and leave it in a locked room for a few years and it will still seem freshly oiled. Seems slick enough.

It isn't food safe but it doesn't scare me like some other products do! If a product isn't food safe then I prefer NON aerosol.

Hornady One Shot hardens like glue after a few years, in my experience.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

On the one shot how does it harden like glue? It's a dry lube that you can't really feel... It would have to be on pretty thick to feel anything I would imagine

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

On the one shot how does it harden like glue? It's a dry lube that you can't really feel... It would have to be on pretty thick to feel anything I would imagine

I put ONE SHOT on a test plate that I never ended up testing. I sprayed it on lightly - no wiping. Came back to all my test plates after a few years and ONE SHOT was the only product that needed solvent and scrubbing for removal. It was gummy!

I put ONE SHOT on a test plate that I never ended up testing. I sprayed it on lightly - no wiping. Came back to all my test plates after a few years and ONE SHOT was the only product that needed solvent and scrubbing for removal. It was gummy!
wow, good to know! Thanks

So in the two tests you've run to date, only XCP and Hornady Oneshot are both in the top 5 products for both tests?

Now I'm interested to see if you throw in testing for lubricity, what's the short list of products that score the highest in all 3 tests? I'm guessing Oneshot will be right up there, and if you add the fact it's highly available for US folks, it's gotta be a pretty viable option.

Related item, I've noticed the last couple years in multiple firearm forums, it's been gaining momentum and more people switching to Oneshot. I'm seeing a lot of people (and myself) starting to use the Oneshot as their main general purpose "CLP-like" product. For general CLP tasks on most firearms, and especially for things like hosing down AR BCG's that you need to quickly field clean without disassembly, or spraying into a trigger group that you want to clean/lube/protect without removal. And then supplement the Oneshot with specialized products as needed, such as a bore cleaner product and grease for slides/rails. Just recently switched from using WD40 as my all-purpose knife CLP product to Oneshot, and been pretty satisfied with it. It appears to me the solvent in WD40 (which includes kerosene, among other compounds) is still pretty effective as a cleaner. WD40 works great there's nothing wrong with it at all. But when it comes to multipurpose clean/lube/protect in one product, Oneshot is pretty hard to beat if you want stronger corrosion protection and lube properties, which in fact *is* what I want for folding knives.

So in the two tests you've run to date, only XCP and Hornady Oneshot are both in the top 5 products for both tests?

Now I'm interested to see if you throw in testing for lubricity, what's the short list of products that score the highest in all 3 tests? I'm guessing Oneshot will be right up there, and if you add the fact it's highly available for US folks, it's gotta be a pretty viable option.

Related item, I've noticed the last couple years in multiple firearm forums, it's been gaining momentum and more people switching to Oneshot. I'm seeing a lot of people (and myself) starting to use the Oneshot as their main general purpose "CLP-like" product. For general CLP tasks on most firearms, and especially for things like hosing down AR BCG's that you need to quickly field clean without disassembly, or spraying into a trigger group that you want to clean/lube/protect without removal. And then supplement the Oneshot with specialized products as needed, such as a bore cleaner product and grease for slides/rails. Just recently switched from using WD40 as my all-purpose knife CLP product to Oneshot, and been pretty satisfied with it. It appears to me the solvent in WD40 (which includes kerosene, among other compounds) is still pretty effective as a cleaner. WD40 works great there's nothing wrong with it at all. But when it comes to multipurpose clean/lube/protect in one product, Oneshot is pretty hard to beat if you want stronger corrosion protection and lube properties, which in fact *is* what I want for folding knives.

Yep exactly... Both one shot and xcp have very different properties though, the xcp is like a heavy oil that stays on the product whereas one shot evaporates off almost immediately.

Wow! What type of Beeswax Chapstick are you using, just the commonly available Burt's Bees stuff?

Yep just the burts beeswax chapstick!

Yep just the burts beeswax chapstick!

Good to know! Coincidentally, I just found out I can't use petroleum based lip balm at work, so I just bought a couple of these beeswax chapsticks. I've been using mineral oil on the few carbon steel blades I have, but now I'll be switching over to beeswax thanks to your testing

Back