Could someone please decipher this writing...

I would like to know if anyone here could tell me what this writing reads...
2wqv815.jpg

Thank you in advance :)

I do read and speak Devanagari (actually Hindi and Nepalese are derived from Sanskrit) and if I go out on a limb the script would possibly translate as follows:

Surjay 9134 Shree Chandra

Surjay relates to the Sun
Shree - purity and prosperity
Chandra - moon

What is the object in question exactly? Some context would be helpful.

It is engraved into the spine of an Atlanta Cutlery purchased antique "longleaf" Kukri blade.

This is how I received her, dirty in old grease. A few minutes to degrease her, and she was ready for my display project.

344tlkk.jpg

It's just a blade, no handle on this purchase. I purchased it this way to make it the focal piece in this display case.

33c7lgg.jpg

Thanks again for your help, and for any other info you may be able to share :)

Last edited:
This inscription (श्री ३ चन्द्र =shree 3 chandra) refers to Chandra Shamsher Jang Bahadur Rana, who was prime minister of Nepal and began his rein on June 27 1901 and killed over in 1929 for reasons you'll have to check out yourself cause I forgot? Sounds like he disposed his brother to get the throne or something like that.
This might help:
https://www.revolvy.com/page/Chandra-Shumsher-Jang-Bahadur-Rana

The first two characters in your inscription are the battalion and id have to refer to my books for that one and get back to you. I do have a book that references all the known battalions.
Guns of the Gurkhas by John Walter

१/३५=1/35
I believe this is the subunit/weapon number of your Khuk:

The Chandra tag was a sequential honorary tag in some way. Some later issued Khuks with inscriptions were Shree 5 Chandra and were actually a bit more rare but issued by a later prime minister. I could be wrong but you'd have to maybe contact more knowledgeable folks like HI members "Spiral Twista" or "Berkley" at the IKRHS (International Kukri Research and Historical Society) to verify this.

http://www.ikrhs.com/

Those links Bawanna gave you are very informative and would lead you to more good stuff.
Very nice display there! Looks like something you'd see in a museum. Well done sir! Ill try to add more as I can find my reference material.

Last edited:
Surjay relates to the Sun
The closest match to "Surjay" is Suryadal (1815c) from Walters book.

Sometimes you can go to the guns cache forums and find the same inscriptions on other weapons since they were possibly issued together. Most of the photos are missing but it is possible.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?137202-Gahendra-markings-questions

Some more history maybe?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_in_World_War_II
These knives sure made their rounds and some are from 1700's. I had one that had the inscription filed off and reinscribed with the new data.

Thanks for responding guys. I have one of these Khukris newly purchased myself. PocketknifeJimmy was kind enough to link this thread from another that we were posting in. Tomorrow once I get to my computer rather than this tablet I would like to post a picture of mine if you all are willing to take a look at another one of these.

Triton: Get a pic posted and ill do my best to help. Amko is better at this translation stuff than I. Im Texan to the bone but I have seen a lot of these Khuks and pics and when your carving into steel you cant always get the resolution you want so an "M" may look like a "SU" and such. I thought it was an "M" myself but nothing matches in the list of battalions. Then again the list may not be exhausive itself? All that aside we all here love to see pics of old (and new) Khuks anytime!

Marshalls, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby, are my go to places for the shadow boxes I have used. Most are front loading, and some are rear loading. I do prefer the front loading, but have made do with the rear loading versions.
Sizes all vary, but some good selection can be had at the two craft stores I mentioned :)
Hope that helps :)

Marshalls, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby, are my go to places for the shadow boxes I have used. Most are front loading, and some are rear loading. I do prefer the front loading, but have made do with the rear loading versions.
Sizes all vary, but some good selection can be had at the two craft stores I mentioned :)
Hope that helps :)
Thank you very much
I will check these out now

sweet

what are the pieces here (and the other case with the khukuri also) holding the knife and have these been stuck to the back board or wall?
i like the plaques you use too for a bit of info on the subject

It's kind'a tough to describe, since I take every display project as a blank canvas on how I will accomplish them. I do drill holes through the displays back-boards and use nuts, bolts, and washers, to hold up the knives. I then find ways to cover this hardware in ways that prevent them from making any direct contact with the items displayed, preventing them from doing any harm.
I guess one just has to be a bit creative, and improvising with materials usually found in ones junk drawers and such.
Just take your time, and when you draw a blank, pull away from the project for a little while, or until the next day, and something fresh will likely pop up in your head.
Please share your results! :)

Oh, the plaques are actually photos.
I take a black, (or any other color background), and use it on any free online photo app to put words upon it. I write up what I want, then go to the nearest wally world and print up a few copies on 4"×6".
Then I take them home and place them upon foam-board using double stick paper used for photos and other such things (also found at Michael's).
Then I cut it all to the size I want, and use a hot glue gun to stick my homemade plaque into the display case. It's delicate, but since it's in the case, they are safe from any harm :)

Back