CPKitchen

vOR5Y4u.jpg

can't help myself, it's such a cool fuckin knife

handle dilemma solved
5z1UaDp.jpg

mother of bowling ball and G10

Loved this movie as a kid. Watched it again when I was older and not so much 😝
same here

this handle is rough shaped. I wasn't crazy about this weird plastic handle material, but now that I've worked with it a bit I don't hate it as much. I think it'll look cool when polished up.

More pics please. When will you be offering this Lorien? Looks cool
Thank you!
there's a little more work to do, but after that I'm on to the testing phase. There will be lots of pics and video at that point
if everything goes to plan, hopefully one day there will be a CPK version of this knife :)

put an edge on this knife last night, did a edge flex test and things are a go. Although the stock thickness is on the burly side, the bevels have a convex plane from the top to the edge, with just a hint of micro bevel. Some might call it a zero edge, but it's just shy of that. Sticky sharp, although I think I can extract slightly more sharpness from it. Mushrooms require a keen edge and the knife didn't disappoint.

The balance is neutral and the knife sits comfortably in hand in a pinch grip, which was the plan.

The testing phase has officially begun, so there's lots more to come...
4kO7omS.jpg

Last edited:
put an edge on this knife last night, did a edge flex test and things are a go. Although the stock thickness is on the burly side, the bevels have a convex plan from the top to the edge, with just a hint of micro bevel. Some might call it a zero edge, but it's just shy of that. Sticky sharp, although I think I can extract slightly more sharpness from it. Mushrooms require a keen edge and the knife didn't disappoint.

The balance is neutral and the knife sits comfortably in hand in a pinch grip, which was the plan.

The testing phase has officially begun, so there's lots more to come...
4kO7omS.jpg
Looks great, what is the blade length?

Looks great, what is the blade length?
around 7 1/2"
roasted a chicken tonight. Although this knife is significantly heavier than the other cooking knives I've made, it's really easy to control and it's very intuitive, (for me) when it comes to tip control.

I know what you're thinking, so get your minds out of the gutter

around 7 1/2"
roasted a chicken tonight. Although this knife is significantly heavier than the other cooking knives I've made, it's really easy to control and it's very intuitive, (for me) when it comes to tip control.

7 1/2 is just right to fit in a front pocket. I like it. …When testing, is the first version you make often the one, or do you tend to make more variations?

around 7 1/2"

7 1/2 is just right to fit in a front pocket. I like it. …When testing, is the first version you make often the one, or do you tend to make more variations?
I've made a few different knives for cooking, some of which are in this thread. All of them informed this design, although they were all designed for kitchen use exclusively. This one is designed for outdoor use as well, making it fairly unique imo. You could accurately say it's more akin to a gaucho knife than to a chef knife.

I may make a variation of this particular pattern, depending on how the testing goes. That said, I'm a little surprised by the performance so far, so this might be the one. If this design goes to the next stage, (prototyping) that's where multiple revisions with small tweaks may be required and that's where Nathan would take over and absolutely optimize the hell out of it. One thing that he can do which would be my first suggestion, is apply an S grind which brings multiple advantages to a knife like this. I'm not tooled up for that, so I can only speculate about how that would change things up. I don't see a downside to that.

As it stands, this knife does have a distal taper, starting where the bevels intersect and that's a super important component of the design.

I talked to my friend who helped critique my previous chef knife designs, and asked him if he minded whether or not I revealed his identity here. He's perfectly fine with it, and told me he would be happy to be associated with my efforts to develop this design. His name is Mareko Maumasi, I've known him for years and he is no slouch when it comes to culinary cutlery. He was extra super helpful and a lot of his previous critique was applied to this knife.

We’ll that’s pretty cool, I hope it gets made sooner rather than later!
I've made a few different knives for cooking, some of which are in this thread. All of them informed this design, although they were all designed for kitchen use exclusively. This one is designed for outdoor use as well, making it fairly unique imo. You could accurately say it's more akin to a gaucho knife than to a chef knife.

I may make a variation of this particular pattern, depending on how the testing goes. That said, I'm a little surprised by the performance so far, so this might be the one. If this design goes to the next stage, (prototyping) that's where multiple revisions with small tweaks may be required and that's where Nathan would take over and absolutely optimize the hell out of it. One thing that he can do which would be my first suggestion, is apply an S grind which brings multiple advantages to a knife like this. I'm not tooled up for that, so I can only speculate about how that would change things up. I don't see a downside to that.

As it stands, this knife does have a distal taper, starting where the bevels intersect and that's a super important component of the design.

I talked to my friend who helped critique my previous chef knife designs, and asked him if he minded whether or not I revealed his identity here. He's perfectly fine with it, and told me he would be happy to be associated with my efforts to develop this design. His name is Mareko Maumasi, I've known him for years and he is no slouch when it comes to culinary cutlery. He was extra super helpful and a lot of his previous critique was applied to this knife.

If you wouldn’t mind I got 2 items to test it in, peel a butternut squash, open a large green coconut. There’s probably more, but these 2 items a lot of chefs knifes struggle to do comfortably.

Back