cpm 154 a super steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know how super this cpm 154 really is? how does it stack up to the D2, A2, and some of the other leading favorites for hard use fixed blades? somebody tell me. and if experienced even better.

It's rapidly becoming a favorite for users and makers .There was a recent post about favorite steels and CPM154 was mentioned very often. CPM154 is not as wear resistant as S30V but fairly close.A bit better than VG-10 and better than A-2. It will take a finer edge than D-2.It is better than 154CM of course and the equivalent ATS-34. CPM154 is equivalent to the European RWL-34. You wouldn't be disappointed .

I don't know about Miracle but I have four knives with that steel and they certainly are great performers. Hold the edge well. I have not used them hard like for chopping because they are smaller knives. Leatherman and Gerber Gators, and one Buck.

Last edited:
So far I have nor seen any chipping but these are hunting knives made for cutting.

I have a Burke Rockstar in CPM154 and it is a great steel. It takes a very fine edge and holds it for a little while, but it is easy to sharpen. It is almost reminding me of BG-42 but better.

I used to think VG-10 was better than 154CM; but now I think CPM154 is better than VG-10 as a great all around steel that is take a very fine edge and is easy to sharpen and is corrosion resistant.

I love the CPM steels, such as CPM-D2, CPM-S110V, and of course CPM-S30V.

I'm looking to potentially order a Rodrigue kitchen knife in CPM154cm, but I don't know how it compares to steels that are more common in high-end kitchen knives, specifically SG2, R2, XDP-189, Cowry-X, and Aogami Super Steel. Is it comparable? In a 2mm thick blade, will it be comparably flexible?

It's rapidly becoming a favorite for users and makers .There was a recent post about favorite steels and CPM154 was mentioned very often. CPM154 is not as wear resistant as S30V but fairly close.A bit better than VG-10 and better than A-2. It will take a finer edge than D-2.It is better than 154CM of course and the equivalent ATS-34. CPM154 is equivalent to the European RWL-34. You wouldn't be disappointed .

Yep. :thumbup:

CPM 154 will take an insane crazy sharp edge and hold it for a VERY long time, longer than any other Steel I have used yet. :D

My experience with it is only in folders though.

It's my favorite steel for a number of reasons. IMO it can't be beat in terms of a all arounder because it's great in every area, especially at 61-62hrc.

How different is 154cm compared to CPM 154? Is only the CPM one powdered steel?

From personal experience, I'd rather D2 to 154. I find that though D2 is tougher to sharpen, you can put a nice edge on it that will last much longer. Perhaps it was just the particular knife/knifemaker that I used it in, but if I had my choice of 'supersteels' in any scenario, it would be s30v...

From personal experience, I'd rather D2 to 154. I find that though D2 is tougher to sharpen, you can put a nice edge on it that will last much longer. Perhaps it was just the particular knife/knifemaker that I used it in, but if I had my choice of 'supersteels' in any scenario, it would be s30v...

CPM 154 Kills S30V from my experiences.

In my experience, as with carbon steels and especially with the likes to D2, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, etc., the HT and manufacturer can make a significant difference to the performance outcome. I have also seen on older knives CPM154 marked as 154CM.

CPM 154 Kills S30V from my experiences.

I share the same sentiment, I have a Seb with S30v at 59Rc, and have had several other knives with s30v (SMF Bos treated, RJ Martin Devastator, several Benchmades, Korth Panther, Lerch Subrosa just to name a few), and a couple with cpm154. I EDC a RJ Martin Q36 with cpm154, at 63Rc(!) it takes a CRAZY SHARP edge, and holds it longer than my s30v blades ever did. I dont abuse the knife, and have never had any chipping. For the record, I have never chipped s30v either.....

I share the same sentiment, I have a Seb with S30v at 59Rc, and have had several other knives with s30v (SMF Bos treated, RJ Martin Devastator, several Benchmades, Korth Panther, Lerch Subrosa just to name a few), and a couple with cpm154. I EDC a RJ Martin Q36 with cpm154, at 63Rc(!) it takes a CRAZY SHARP edge, and holds it longer than my s30v blades ever did. I dont abuse the knife, and have never had any chipping. For the record, I have never chipped s30v either.....

My Current CPM 154 blade is my Custom Demko.

Andrew says it's around 59-60c and it kills both Strider SmF's and the ZT 0301 all in S30V by a long shot.

My Current CPM 154 blade is my Custom Demko.

Andrew says it's around 59-60c and it kills both Strider SmF's and the ZT 0301 all in S30V by a long shot.

How are you liking your Demko? I have really started liking his work, and I know you are a pretty thorough user of your knives, and I hear his work is sturdy to say the least.....

How are you liking your Demko? I have really started liking his work, and I know you are a pretty thorough user of your knives, and I hear his work is sturdy to say the least.....

It's great, solid as a tank. :D :thumbup:

Say Heah Boys and Girls, Because of Forums like this and the INFO I get here. I was able to stick to pulling the trigger on my W. C. Master Woodsman , I could of got it in O1 which I believe is the standard steel, But since William Collins is a Custom Knife Maker, I could of got it in the S35V which I think will hold an edge longer, But the CPM 154 has more carbon, Old habits are hard to break, I went with the CPM 154, I think William highs his RC's too. I didn't have to redesign the Master Woodsman like I like to do with some of my other knives, The reason being is the Double Grind sort of reminds me of one of my favorite Mora's The 2000, It's like I said one of my favorites, The reason being is. It works wood great and it really isn't that hard to ReSharpen. I also like the idea that as a byproduct somehow Vanadium ends up in it and I really like my CroVan steels, We'll that's my $00.02, .. , Paul'ie

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back