cpm 154 a super steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like CPM 154 way better than the regular CM154, referring to my BassPro 110. (Don't care for CM154 in my Grippie or Emerson; doesn't hold an edge.) Mike Stewart likes it too, I believe. Very tough, easier to sharpen than S30V, takes a very fine edge and holds it well.

Wow I went through 8 years in just two minutes !
My favorite of all is CPM S35VN .CPM 154 will be better than 154cm .Yes I consider CPM 154 a super steel !!

does anyone know how super this cpm 154 really is? how does it stack up to the D2, A2, and some of the other leading favorites for hard use fixed blades? somebody tell me. and if experienced even better.

CPM-154 (P=powder form in the 154CM) is a relatively hard steel which is considered an upgraded version of 440C through the addition of Molybdenum. This achieves superior edge holding compared to 440C while retaining similar excellent levels of corrosion resistance despite having less Chromium. It has decent toughness good enough for most uses and holds an edge well. Not too difficult to sharpen with the right equipment. You’ll find a lot of quality pocket knives from top manufacturers like Benchmade, Hogue, and other custom knife manufactures using 154CM steel. Please take a look at KnifeCenter.com, and on the left of the screen, find the choice steel, and click on it. You will see a plethora of VERY nice knives utilizing CPM-154 You may also see CPM 154 which is a powder version of the same alloy produced much differently using Crucible Particle Metallurgy (Sweden’s Damasteel also produces a similar grade in RWL-34). The Particle Metallurgy process makes finer carbide particles resulting in a slightly superior steel that’s tougher and with better edge retention. However, whether the average user can tell the difference is arguable.

Say Heah Boys and Girls, Because of Forums like this and the INFO I get here. I was able to stick to pulling the trigger on my W. C. Master Woodsman , I could of got it in O1 which I believe is the standard steel, But since William Collins is a Custom Knife Maker, I could of got it in the S35V which I think will hold an edge longer, But the CPM 154 has more carbon, Old habits are hard to break, I went with the CPM 154, I think William highs his RC's too. I didn't have to redesign the Master Woodsman like I like to do with some of my other knives, The reason being is the Double Grind sort of reminds me of one of my favorite Mora's The 2000, It's like I said one of my favorites, The reason being is. It works wood great and it really isn't that hard to ReSharpen. I also like the idea that as a byproduct somehow Vanadium ends up in it and I really like my CroVan steels, We'll that's my $00.02, .. , Paul'ie

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
It is a great steel indeed. I went with the AEB-L in William Collins personal heat treat and he has made it into a beast. Every bit as tough as 52100 and easy to touch up too. You can hack deer antlers with it without it breaking. It wont hold an edge as long as lets say 3V but this thing gets razor sharp and with a few touch up strokes on a stone or rod and it is back to sharp. The AEB-L is a part of his production line so it wont cost any more than normal. He can do A2 for about 30 more I think. You don't need the super steels to have a great time out there and don't worry about his knives failing. He knows what he is doing....

CPM 154 is super steel enough for me. Because of my satisfying experience with it in EDC knives,I chose that steel for my new deer field dressing knife in this Bark River Bob Cat Hunter.
edit: Good grief , that'll teach me to look at the date that the OP posted . Now I feel real tupid.:oops:
GKBnMeI.jpg

I prefer CPM-154 toCM-154 -- sharpens more easily, takes a very fine edge (BassPro 110), compared to my Grippie in CM-154 and Emerson. No chipping issues.

CPM-154 is generally my preferred steel for overall use in a fixed blade. I wouldn't choose it for extremely hard use.

CPM 154 is super steel enough for me. Because of my satisfying experience with it in EDC knives,I chose that steel for my new deer field dressing knife in this Bark River Bob Cat Hunter.
edit: Good grief , that'll teach me to look at the date that the OP posted . Now I feel real tupid.:oops:
GKBnMeI.jpg
I looked at those at KSF. Pretty sure that is an exclusive to KSF. Really a sweet little knife for deer hunting. I was tempted, but didn't get one as I have others and I don't hunt much any more. I have been leaning more toward slightly larger general purpose knives and I really like the bottom guard. It is like a mini BRKT Wilderness Explorer model with it's 5.75" blade.

Last edited:
CPM-154 is generally my preferred steel for overall use in a fixed blade. I wouldn't choose it for extremely hard use.

I looked at those at KSF. Pretty sure that is an exclusive to KSF. Really a sweet little knife for deer hunting. I was tempted, but didn't get one as I have others and I don't hunt much any more. I have been leaning more toward slightly larger general purpose knives and I really like the bottom guard. It is like a mini BRKT Wilderness Explorer model with a 5.75" blade.
Not sure I can give up my Schrade Sharpfinger after over 40 years of field dressing deer with it, but I'll try. I have the Bark River Drop Point Classic too but not in CPM 154,it's Elmax, but it is just a little bigger but I think I will like the Bob Cat Hunter more because of a little shorter blade. I like to stick my index finger right at the tip so that I know where the blade is when I reach up and into the cavity to cut the wind pipe.

After extensive testing, the Bureau International d'Acier Super in Thiers, France declared CPM 154 a super steel in 2009. Since they are the final, ultimate authority on these things, I am going to go with them and say it IS a super steel.

After extensive testing, the Bureau International d'Acier Super in Thiers, France declared CPM 154 a super steel in 2009. Since they are the final, ultimate authority on these things, I am going to go with them and say it IS a super steel.
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back