CPM-M4 Endura

How does the uncoated M4 hold up to use? How does it compare to K390 -- about the same?
I have several Spyderco M4 knives and never had an issue with rust. I always wipe them down after use. I’m just not a fan of coated folders.

Sorry, I don’t own any Spyderco K390 blades with the exception of a ladybug and manbug, can’t really compare the two steels. The M4 seems to retain its edge for a long time. I’ve used it to whittle soft wood, breakdown thick boxes, and to cut up many lemons and limes for my backyard beverages, still haven’t had to touch it up.

I have several Spyderco M4 knives and never had an issue with rust. I always wipe them down after use. I’m just not a fan of coated folders.

Sorry, I don’t own any Spyderco K390 blades with the exception of a ladybug and manbug, can’t really compare the two steels. The M4 seems to retain its edge for a long time. I’ve used it to whittle soft wood, breakdown thick boxes, and to cut up many lemons and limes for my backyard beverages, still haven’t had to touch it up.
Appreciate it... I do sometimes forget to wipe my blades down so I'm a little bit skittish. The K390 takes a patina fast and rust can start up if you're not careful to wipe it off. I tend to polish it with Flitz so its as smooth as possible. The K390 Endura is a helluva knife!

Appreciate it... I do sometimes forget to wipe my blades down so I'm a little bit skittish. The K390 takes a patina fast and rust can start up if you're not careful to wipe it off. I tend to polish it with Flitz so its as smooth as possible. The K390 Endura is a helluva knife!

My experience with K390 (Endura/Stretch/Urban) has been similar to yours; they kind of haze over with mild patina relatively quickly and can rust if water or other liquid is left on them.

CPM M4 in my limited comparison (Gayle Bradley 1/2) is slower to haze over and tends to get blotches of dark patina rather than outright rust when liquid is left on it. M4 will get some black pepper spots in my pocket on a hot, sweaty day - maybe due to having been slower to overall patina to start?

K390 seems to be better for quick touchups on brown/medium sharpmaker rods (but that could partially be geometry differences between FFG K390 Endura/Urban and hollow ground M4 GB1/GB2 talking). Diamonds are very helpful for both if more than a touchup is necessary.

I am very tempted to get one of these M4 Enduras to have a 1:1 comparison with the K390 Endura, because the K390 is just one of my absolute favorite knives to use.

These are coming from overseas for my new M4 Endura. Good ol blue jean micarta!

Fk5GcYT.jpg

Back