Craftsman American Eagle Collection

rprocter

BANNED
The 1971 Sears catalogue presented 6 Schrade-Walden knives made to Sears specifications as the "Craftsman American Eagle Collection". They came with El Cid custom made leather sheaths.
These knives have been discussed in various threads posted some years ago but i cannot find a comprehensive thread so i'm hoping this will evolve into one

Here is a part of page 871 from the 1971 Sears catalogue showing 4 of these knives:

KGrHqZqsE88gcJLlpBPe2M5igfg60_57.jpg

Here is my example of the "Sportsman's Knife" with " 4 3/8" Stainless steel blade ", marked"Craftsman/U.S.A." and "SS". This is the Sears version of the 41OT "Maverick" made 1971-73. I believe the earlier Schrade-Walden was a 141L.

Jan2012001-17.jpg

Jan2012002-16.jpg

Jan2012003-15.jpg

I'll post pics of some of the other knives later. Please feel free to post any examples of these Sears knives that you have as well as correct or add to whatever history i post.
roland

Here's the $12 knife, a stainless 25OT with the clip blade tang marked "Craftsman/Stainless/U.S.A." and the skinner blade tang "Stainless". Sears called this "Hunter's Folding Knife" # 21631. This one is unused but no box.

Jan2012007-9.jpg

Jan2012008-12.jpg

I've got a couple more to show in upcoming posts.
roland

Roland, those are great knives in a great series, and since you obviously have the other two, I think you should spring for an oak display case for them. I have a pickup load of oak 1x4s and a tablesaw but no skills and no empty walls. LOL!

Excellent find on the ad! Was that the spring/summer or fall/winter catalog? I have all of the knives in that set now, the only one without the box is the folding hunter #21631. The man I bought it from told me that he was a retired Sears sporting goods manager and that the knives were, to the best of his recollection, for instore sales only, not catalog items. I guess he and we were wrong, at least in 1971. By the way, that Bowie #21627 is a beast! It is a BB166 handled and pommeled like the production 41OT. A better construction and presentation then the stock BB166, IMHO.

"By the way, that Bowie #21627 is a beast!"
Sears called this "Bowie Hunting Knife" with a "7" carbon steel blade. The blade is very similar to the WW II Mark 2 Combat Knife.

Jan2012005-17.jpg

Here it is next to a 165 for some idea as to it's size:

Jan2012004-17.jpg

Michael, the catalogue picture was sent to me by another collector. I have sent a message asking which of the 1971 catalogues it comes from.
roland

Schrade also contributed some knives to Sears in their ACA EDGE lineup. Here is the analogue to the 165 OT, with the tang completely hidden in Delrin, and surmounted by a brass pommel cap, secured with a Phillips screw, like unto the 153UH, for instance. Notice the stainless steel guard in the throat of the original sheath. Codger has an example which I believe is nicer than this one. To my knowledge no one here has seen a box.

165Craftyhiddentang3004.jpg

165Craftyhiddentang3003.jpg

Michael, the catalogue picture was sent to me by another collector. I have sent a message asking which of the 1971 catalogues it comes from.
roland

It wasn't the Christmas Wishbook as it had only 620 pages. My Sears catalog collection is packed away and I am not sure if I have the 1971 Fall/Winter issue. Filling in the years was getting expensive and I didn't buy any of the specialty catalogs like hunting/camping when those came out. But they were even fewer pages, IIRC.

Some of the Wishbooks are available online and have some Craftsman knives.
http://www.wishbookweb.com/

The leather is quite thick too. Most damage I have ever seen to them is the snap halves pulling apart due to corrosion.

Nice knives you have there Roland , especially the 21627 bowie , I do like the walnut handle on the BB166 but the craftsman seems so much more user friendly with the pommel and finger guard , I will be putting that one on my "wish" list......

yes, started me looking at Craftsman knives also. how does one tell if it is a Schrade or not? what are the tells? say the Lockbacks (LB7 my favorite) or others?

:thumbup::thumbup: GREAT THREAD for the Archives Guys!! Thank You Very Much!!

I own the Sportsman's Knife (41OT) model also.

-- Howie

yes, started me looking at Craftsman knives also. how does one tell if it is a Schrade or not? what are the tells? say the Lockbacks (LB7 my favorite) or others?

Unless the knife has a Sears stock number on the blade in stamp or etch, and you can match it to a catalog archive, the best way is by direct comparison with known Schrade (or Camillus) patterns. Also a forum search of a stock number here will turn up posts of previous discoveries. Sears also had knives made by Western, Colonial and others. But the lion's share pre 2007 were Schrade and Camillus (and Ulster, Imperial). As far as the lockbacks, post a picture and we can likely help.

Here is my 4th knife of this series the "Deerslayer Hunting Knife" with a "5 1/4" contoured carbon steel blade", Sears #21624.
It is a 165OT known in Schrade speak as the "Woodsman". Schrade used the name "Deerslayer" for the 15OT.

Jan2012006-15.jpg

This "Craftsman American Eagle Collection" was a group of 6 knives. These 4 i have shown are all that i have. I do not know what the other 2 patterns are.
Hopefully someone will know and post it and the addition of any interesting history around this series will be much appreciated as well.
roland

... This "Craftsman American Eagle Collection" was a group of 6 knives. These 4 i have shown are all that i have. I do not know what the other 2 patterns are.
Hopefully someone will know and post it and the addition of any interesting history around this series will be much appreciated as well.
roland

Six? I've only seen and acquired the four. I do know there was another series just after these which had a 171UH (second style handle) and the previously shown 165OT with the brass butt and hidden tang ala 153UH, but I have never seen the boxes or literature for those and don't know for certain if those two were all that were in that subsequent series. Both had the elephant hide embossed sheath with the metal throat protector. There was also the "Collection '77" which, as far as I can tell, was mainly a group of pocket knives. The most commonly seen of these now are a stockman in ivory Delrin and a barlow. I believe there was also a camp utility and perhaps several others. #95051 Craftsman Jack, #95043 Lumberjack (camp utility), #95644 Bowie Stock (jack). I don't have the barlow number just now.

2he9dt1.jpg

n76o8.jpg

5fj1oj.jpg

Last edited:
Michael, good, 4 makes sense as only these 4 are shown in the old catalogue add. I thought i had read that there were 6.
Regarding the 165 with a hidden tang and butt cap, were these made before the standard 165 ? only 1 run ? a special order for someone ?
I missed getting one of these just a week ago, so i'm still on the hunt. I don't think a great many were made.
roland

They were also Sears Craftsman, "DEERSLAYER A.C. A. Edge". Ive never seen them with any other marking, nor the elephant hide impressed sheaths used in any other issue (though some early Schrade Scrim 502SC Sharpfingers did use that impressed leather on their sheaths). The "when" and "how many" are a mystery at this point. Perhaps your friend also has a Sears ad for these.

ajt342.jpg

10qgaxw.jpg

Say Michael, I may be mistaken but I think that's real elephant hide. I seem to recall Dave S. mentioning that either Albert or Henry Baer (most likely Henry) bought a bunch back from Africa, but it never really caught on. Fantastic knives everyone!!

Eric

was lucky enough, well i think i am lucky, to find this and win it. i am pretty sure the sheath is not original might be handmade or repaired? like the 171 style knife really makes a good work horse around the house and backyard (mine is kinda wild with a creek).

Attachments

• Craftman 171 01.jpg
    Craftman 171 01.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 21
  • Craftman 171 02.jpg
    Craftman 171 02.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 21
Say Michael, I may be mistaken but I think that's real elephant hide. I seem to recall Dave S. mentioning that either Albert or Henry Baer (most likely Henry) bought a bunch back from Africa, but it never really caught on. Fantastic knives everyone!!

Eric
:eek: Well, it is attractive for sure. I'd never have imagined it to be real, but I haven't seen enough of these sheaths in good condition to do a comparison to see if the grain imprint is mechanically repeated from sheath to sheath or totally random.

was lucky enough, well i think i am lucky, to find this and win it. i am pretty sure the sheath is not original might be handmade or repaired? like the 171 style knife really makes a good work horse around the house and backyard (mine is kinda wild with a creek).

I have the Schrade version of that 171UH and also the Schrade Walden (aluminum birdhead pommel), but I am yet to see a good example of the Sears version with a good sheath. I am still hunting MIB 165OTs and Sharpfingers at the moment, so I have not paid a lot of attention to the Sears patterns lately. BTW, I am yet to see a Sears Craftsman Sharpfinger. Or a Schrade Walden Sharpfinger. But I hold out hopes for both.

Back