Creating a dugout canoe. Lots of nice tools and skill here.

Northmen photostream if interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neemantools/13893605630/in/photostream/

Kevin, since you mentioned their Finnish Splitting Axe:
d9HWMcg.jpg

797DCE83-AFF3-4CDE-87D7-AD4F03AE533A (1) by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Imitation (regardless of skill) is still flattery, right?

Allmost the same, but what I like about the Northmen version is that is has a very thick bit in an arrow shape. But with a nice small cutting edge. Penetration is awesome, but it gets stuck in a tree: Solution would be to give it a high centreline and round the edge of some more. Since it weighs roughly 4 pounds. Stick it on a boys axe size handle and that would be one awesome tool!

Unlucky for us, there isn't an old version like that! Have been searching for years!

They have a picture of a Mariefors Bruk model in with development diagrams so there might be an older equivalent- still no cheeks though.

Kind of like one of the size variations of this general model? (Not my axe, hijacked from a tool guy's Instagram)
11351711_410209435841564_963040816_n.jpg

understand quality costs .average income in estonia looks to be about 1200 a month u s thats not real expensive labor.i lived in west germany 86-88 only time i leave anymore is to go fishing in canada.

It's sort of like belonging to a shooting club. It's common knowledge (or joke) amongst the wives that men never pay more than $500 for a nice gun. However at a major sporting clays tournament a month ago the number of 15 to 20K Berettas, Perazzis and Krieghoffs around was staggering. Made me feel like a basket case with a 42 year old Remington 3200.
I wish I still had my Remington 3200! I sold all my firearms years ago and would like to get back into some shooting. Of all the guns I've had, I'd like that one back the most.

I wish I still had my Remington 3200! I sold all my firearms years ago and would like to get back into some shooting. Of all the guns I've had, I'd like that one back the most.
Opinions about these stack barrels run hot or cold for most folks; they're loved or they're hated. Far as I know locktime is right up there (or still faster) with the best of them. If you compete you certainly appreciate that. The barrels are entirely separated and don't rely on the hinge pins (which therefore don't wear out, unlike other O/Us) for strength. It was shotgun columnist Tom Roster that got me into these 30 years ago when he showed me his with custom-made 10 ga barrels. Laib's Gunsmithing in Minnesota bought up all of the Remington inventory a decade or two ago and all they do is repair and rebuild these. The one serious drawback to the thin barrels is modernizing them for screw-in chokes, which has been all but impossible. With thin wall external knurled tubes becoming increasingly 'de rigueur' it's only a matter of time before a specialized outfit such as Briley announces that 3200s can be brought into the 21st century, without it's owner having to forfeit the proverbial arm and leg.

Last edited:
It's sort of like belonging to a shooting club. It's common knowledge (or joke) amongst the wives that men never pay more than $500 for a nice gun. However at a major sporting clays tournament a month ago the number of 15 to 20K Berettas, Perazzis and Krieghoffs around was staggering. Made me feel like a basket case with a 42 year old Remington 3200.

Went to watch a skeet shoot once. Same thing- many very high dollar shotguns. And an older gentleman with a Ithaca field grade over-under with the bluing nearly gone. He smoked the field. ;)

Went to watch a skeet shoot once. Same thing- many very high dollar shotguns. And an older gentleman with a Ithaca field grade over-under with the bluing nearly gone. He smoked the field. ;)
"Beware the man who uses only one gun", especially if the piece is thoroughly worn (bluing nearly gone) from extensive use. As with any dedicated hobby or avocation serious (and well-heeled) participants always seek out what is perceived to be the 'best' or the 'latest' thing. Usually that translates to 'spend more money'. Bar none best skeet shooter of all time, Barney Hartman of Ottawa (who died 6 months ago a few days short of his 100th birthday) went forward during his entire career with hunting-type guns (Remington 58s and a Winchester 42 pump, and ultimately Rem 1100s) because he wanted ordinary folks to know that shooter skill was infinitely more valuable than the equipment used.

Last edited:
Oh gosh.

Kevin, you are oversimplifying. I can see where you come from, and in part I agree, but you need to be more thorough if comparing the cost of living.

Let's look at what is the helathcare costs in US vs what you get out of your own pocket when visiting doctors. Then let's consider that for Americans dental is a separate thing. A root canal in Chicago was 1200$ for me (luckily I didn't pay out of my pocket). In Hungary, I could get the same tratement at 10% of that cost (not State-subsidized). And so on.

There are big parts of the economy that don't rely so much or directly on the fuel cost. Some services, software etc. Housing costs something in the Bay area, where software engineers can get 200k salaries, and less in Nebraska :).

I bought antibiotics in Chicago at a certain price. In California, same prescription cost me double. I looked for the cheapest Pharmacies in both instanes. A pound of fruit was again double in sunny California.

Let's not compare Europe as a whole with US as a whole. You have two continents with huge disparities, depending where exactly you live on said continents.

I also don't get why you'd invite someone to visit other countries. Provided I am reading that properly (emphasis), I think it is uncalled for. If you are trying to even hint at the stereotype of the uneducated American, you also need to make sure you're not confirming other stereotypes as well along the way. By the way, it seems to me "we" as Europeans are heading in the wrong direction, we are not getting smarter or more educated at all. (We are hard at work even to erase our identity, but that is another discussion.) I am basing this on statistics and partly my own experience hiring people in high-tech fields, and not as an ignorant HR guy. But as a software engineer and manager.

All in all, and this is not directed at you, in fact not necessarily at anyone here, I will never get the outrage over what some believe to be inflated prices. I will acknowledge that some don't make sense to me, from a price to performance ratio, and I would not pay so much even if I were a billionare. However, as long as no one is forcing things down my throat, I couldn't care less. (Sometimes, though, it is simply ignorance on a buyer's part. You get the kind of people that don't understand why a performance-bred animal like a greyhound, with finely-tuned genetics, costs more than a "greyhound" they can get from their local shelter. Idiots. In this particular case, steel is steel, so it does not apply.)

I don't have time, nor the inclination lately to enter debates, so, hoping I'm not antagonizing anyone if possible (Kevin :) or someone else :) ), this will be my only input on this subject.
Wise decision because there are always those that try to police the forums.

I enjoyed the video, watching them make something with hand tools, except for the part at 6:10. What I did not understand was why use an axe to cut the angles on the bow and stern of the canoe, when a hand saw would be quicker and more efficient, then any clean up could be done wit the axes? John

I enjoy the video but Square_peg pointed out that a chainsaw had been used to kerf up the interior prior to using the adze tools.

I'd have to watch it again but I think that is when the guy goes solo for a bit in the video. Time and labor saving maybe? They were making a canoe in the era of when you can buy a canoe for a fraction of the price of the tools (to consumers), production costs possibly, and their own time. Maybe it was planned it would continue at that guy's property while your crew went home for the weekend?

Without that there would have been a large section of working the inside out of the canoe to remove it.

How it works in the video doesn't detract from watching much, and it kind of makes sense if your aim is to demonstrate the tools' purpose and efficiency. If someone's time or money was involved with the production then there is even more impetus.

Personally, I would enjoy watching it happen, as it happens, but most people may not when they search up their tools. Maybe even more so the guys who spent several dedicated days to doing it that stage when that really was the body of work - In the days when you had to without power tools. That could be part of it – or not too. Axe talk.

Just a different take.

Critique as we might want to, this is truly an impressive piece of work. 'Merely' folding back the skin of a carved round log is genius, to me. I hope these guys aren't starving financially. Irregardless of whatever tools they're using they do know what is expected of them. That's (sort of) why we're here, is it not?

That one's not opening for me but I am keen to see it:thumbsup:
Well, I'm keen for you to see it if you haven't already. It's the third one down on this page:
http://www.kansatieteellisetfilmit.fi/videot.htm
It says it is "Flash video". Apparently you need Adobe Flash Player. I have to depend on Google translate, but I believe the film is from the Finnish Cultural Foundation made in the late 1930s?

Bob

Bob, is this the one? I am running off memory and the narrator's voice only - At about 3:00 does one of the guys stack rocks in it and pack coals around it?

Those videos from that Finnish archive site used to work for me.

Last edited:
Back