Creationish Vs Evolutionism? BE POLITE!

What do you believe? (private)

• Biblical Creationism (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christian Evolution (please explain)

• Non Christian Creation (please explain)

• Non Christian Evolution (please explain)

• Non Christian Science (please explain)

• Christian Science (please explain)

• inexplicable (creation cannot be explained through current science or religion))

• Other. Please explain in your post! :)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will go way beyond creation vs. evolution:

Eventually, all such discussions must address notions of infinity and eternity, which we humans are ill-equipped to consider... The idea of "forever" is simply alien to us. As is the notion of infinity.

When learned clerics were sitting around in their monasteries during the Dark Ages, pondering deeply on these things and using their much-loved "pure logic", they came to conclusions that haunt us today. (all without benefit of evidence, since evidence was held inferior to logic)
At any rate, they came up with ideas familiar with us today as the "unmoved mover" and the idea of a God that existed "without beginning or end"... Because the logic leads inevitably to that.
No explanations as to how any such thing could be... This was merely posited as a "mystery of faith".

We know a lot more about the universe now, and we understand that it indeed had a beginning and very likely an end as well. Eventually, the whole thing will just sort of fizzle...
Which has led to more-contemporary thinking that God exists "outside the universe" and further that this God has no characteristics that might be described or appreciated by humans. (I heard a pair of Jesuit scholars utter these words recently).
Of course, we atheists see this as the ultimate cop-out... Utterly impossible to refute or even address.)

Anyway.... Back to cosmology. To "beginnings". Believers posit a God that is eternal. That has always existed. However, using the principal of Occam's razor, we ask... What's simpler? An intelligent, complex being powerful enough and complex enough to both design and create universes, and which further has existed "forever"....
Or, a limitless "void" that has as one of it's properties the occasional "bang" event or singularity.

As is often asked.... Who created God? The second notion is far simpler, and thus more likely to be correct.

At the present, it's essentially an unsolvable problem. We atheists can't prove there is no God....Though we point to the utter paucity of evidence of such a being. At the same time, when confronted with the question "where did it all come from?" we must shrug and say... We don't know. Yet.

Sure is interesting to debate all this but I still think it's pretty simple. We can't think "out of time" at least in our present form.

Perhaps the first move should consist of an understanding of the word likely?

probably or apparently destined (usually followed by an infinitive): something not likely to happen.
seeming like truth, fact, or certainty; reasonably to be believed or expected; believable: a likely story.
seeming to fulfill requirements or expectations; apparently suitable: a likely place for a restaurant.
showing promise of achievement or excellence; promising: a fine, likely young man.

The above definitions are straight from Dictionary.com.

As I understand it, the use of the word likely (as you've used it) implies that the one in a billion chance is somehow reasonably to be expected. I suspect you'd be in a very small minority of people who think the chance of something happening once in a billion opportunities is likely to happen. Most - and I'm assuming here - would probably consider such odds to be very unlikely, if not almost impossible.

It is calculated that an individual's chance of being struck by lightening is approximately 1 in 280,000. I'd guess that the average person doesn't consider it likely that he/she will be struck by lightening: yet the odds of that happening are roughly 3,571 times greater than the odds of something happening that only happens once every billion opportunities.

Nor can we say that something is more likely to happen (given enough opportunities) if the odds against it happening remain the same (one billion to one).

What can be said (assuming billions of opportunities and odds remaining at one billion to one) is that it could be expected that the something will happen repeatedly in all those billions of opportunities. But that something would still remain very unlikely (10 in 10 billion is no more/less likely than 1 in 1 billion).

Suppose I were to create a chart, representing the length of time earth has been around, and in that chart I had one square for each second of earth's existence. Let us assume that the earth is 6.5 billion years old. It is a relatively simple matter to figure (roughly) the number of seconds in that 6.5 billion years: (205,000,000,000,000,000 seconds - or 205 quadrillion seconds have passed).

Let us also assume that you are now 80 years of age and that I have included, amongst those 205 quadrillion squares, 2.5 billion red squares which represent your age in seconds. Now let us suppose I am blind and tasked with throwing a dart, at all those squares, and hitting one of the red squares (representing your time on earth). (Let us also assume that I am capable of hitting one of the 205 quadrillion squares).

The odds of my hitting one of the 2.5 billion red squares is roughly 1 in 1.2 billion attempts.

That is a big number, but one that most people can sort of understand - still the average person would attribute my chance of success to be somewhere near zero.

Now if I were tasked with hitting a specific red square (by chance only) my odds of success jump to 1 in 205 quadrillion (15 zero's behind the 205).

That is a huge number; so large that the average human can't really comprehend it.

And yet that number equates to excellent odds when compared to the odds, given by statisticians, against evolution (as Darwin proclaimed it) actually taking place.

Remember the 15 zero's mentioned just above?

They're important to remember because we're going to talk about numbers that just cannot be understood by most humans.

But first we must understand what we're dealing with here: the belief that one life-form can transform into a completely different life-form - due to outside influences which drive those transformational forces.

We're not talking about a life-form's ability to adapt within specific parameters to meet the changes constantly bombarding them. We're talking about the belief that a lizard can become a bird (or whatever).

The calculated odds against evolution, as figured by science/math are: 1 in 10 (with 40,000 zero's behind the 10). That's a 10 with 40,000 zero's behind it!!!

Even if we assume that the mathematician(s) got it wrong by a factor of a billion - it is still a number that is so big, so impossible, that a reasonable person has to admit that the odds (of evolution being a reality) are zero.

Let's try to understand how big of a number a 10 followed by 40,000 zero's really is.

If the earth were that old, it would be 1.5 X 10 (with 39,990 zeros behind it) times older than science tells us it is (6.5 billions years old).

For comparison's sake, one vigintillion is a number with 63 zero's behind it and the number one trillion has only 12 zero's behind it.

So how did the mathematicians come up with such a gigantic number?

I'm not going to pretend that I know, nor will I pretend that I really understand such a large number.

What I can do is make a guesstimate of how such a number came about.

First we must understand that all life is under constant pressure; be it weather extremes, natural disasters, disease, predation, the need for food, shelter, and water, or competition with others. Every second of every single day is a challenge of one sort or another.

There must be a reasonable estimation of the amount of time that there has been life on the earth. That period of time would have to be broken down to specific increments (say seconds) to account for the fact that every single life that has ever lived (on earth) was subjected to constant pressures during the course of that life (and should therefore be in the process of changing constantly - if evolution/Darwinism is correct).

There must also be a reasonable estimate of the total number of different life-forms that have ever lived on planet earth. Then there must be a reasonable estimate of the total numbers of life (not just forms of life, but individual lives) that have ever existed on planet earth.

I haven't bothered to make the attempt of finding out how many individual lives, currently alive, there are on earth, but I would guess the number is incredibly large. (Any living thing counts - plants, insects, animals, fish, bacteria... everything)

The total number of lives ever lived, on earth, would have to be truly staggering; especially since we know that most of those lives were not preserved as fossils (so it is probable that we don't begin to understand the real numbers of lives lived).

There must also be a means of accounting for the fact that nearly all mutations are either harmful or not beneficial to the host.

Likewise, there must be an accounting for the fact that there are numerous species which are recognized as having no significant changes over hundreds of millions of years.

Another important consideration is the matter of reproduction. A sudden, dramatic change is probably going to leave that lone life-form incapable of reproducing. Yet sudden dramatic changes are absolutely necessary if those changes are a response to dramatic outside forces. A subtle change is just as likely to be bred out over time (as it is to be passed on) and such changes wouldn't help at all when the species is suddenly confronted with a dramatic outside force. We must also consider the fact that most life-forms find different to be something that is shunned (when it comes to mating).

What is lacking in the fossil record must be considered as well - for if evolution (Darwinism) is indeed actual fact, the fossil record should demonstrate that by showing us a plethora of transitional life forms that were constantly changing to adapt to their surroundings. It can't be a small number of fossils that we surmise could possibly (maybe - just maybe) show the dramatic changes that would have to be a constant. (IOW - if evolution/Darwinism is factual, transitional life-forms would be the norm and the normal would be the unusual, or missing)

Without doubt, I have missed some of the vital considerations necessary for the calculations made. But, the considerations I have noted would give an extremely large number (against evolution).

When I first saw this particular (evolution vs creationism) thread my gut told me that it would be best if I simply ignored it. Still, the OP asked for opinions and I thought maybe, just maybe, opinions could be offered without others demanding proof that they themselves fail to offer.

This isn't my first rodeo; I've been down this road numerous times (on various political forums I frequent) and I can't help but noticing a disturbing trend: evidence is frequently demanded from those who doubt (or don't believe in) evolution, but seldom (or never) offered in support of evolution.

That is disturbing for numerous reasons, but it is especially disturbing due to the fact that evolution is supposedly science. As such, those who believe in evolution should approach the subject in a manner that befits real science. These questions ought to have been asked (of evolution) long before the choice is made (to believe in evolution).

Real science demands doubt.

Real science welcomes doubt and explores it deeply. It does not hide behind demands for proof of the doubt; it makes every possible attempt to prove that the doubt is correct. Only after it fails to prove that the doubt is correct (or even possible) does real science declare a conclusion to be factual.

If we don't know enough about our universe to state something is improbable or impossible, then we certainly don't know enough about it to state that something is probable or even possible.

I happen to agree: basing one's beliefs on flawed calculations is problematic. In fact it is unscientific (to say the least). But it does provide for the makings of a quasi-religion.

This will be my last reply with regards to this thread/topic. I've voiced my opinion on this subject and I thank those of you who have agreed that a differing opinion is allowed to go unchallenged.

Someone (here on the forum) has a tagline that reads something along these lines:

If everyone thinks the same, someone isn't thinking.

I really like that tagline.

It makes me think.

I hope it does the same for you and I hope that all the differing opinions (offered here) make you think as well.

Real science demands it.

Okay, on probability, let me try to simplify my explanation. The odds of any one lottery ticket being a winner are extremely close to zero, but the odds that no lottery ticket will ever be a winner are even more astronomical. That's the scenario we're dealing with. The law of very large numbers works for evolution, not against it. But pointing to creationism is not a get out of jail free card where probability is concerned either. You're treating this as something of a false dichotomy, that if evolution is untrue, and we could discover that it is, that therefore god did it. That doesn't hold, as the same probability issues you're quoting apply to an even greater extent to any omnipotent being. That each of their choices would line up so perfectly with the reality around us, that natural disasters would be a desirable part of their creation and that they would make a vast majority of the unverse incredibly hostile to life as we know it.

If you want evidence for evolution I highly recommend reading some of Jerry Coyne, Richard Dawkins, PZ Myers or Stephen Jay Gould's work on it. I've already given one example in the form of endogenous retroviruses, but there have been repeated experiments based on bacterial colonies, how quickly antibitotic resistant strains breed out other strains when artificial selection is applied, selecting for coloration in the eyes of fruitflies, and behavioral studies based on defense mechanisms of groups of lizards (same species) where one isolated population group had much longer legs. There are the comparisons of the human genome to those of other primates and the branching differences that show which genes where selected for in earlier population groups, heck, there are fish in Australia that seem to be developing legs. Doubt is not a virtue in and of itself, doubt is a virtue when making sure evidence is sound and studies are true and repeatable. I have no issues with people doubting evolution if that encourages them to go investigate the evidence and repeat the experiments, that's how people become scientists. Someone may one day overturn the ToE and I can pretty much promise they'd earn a Nobel prize for it, but right now the available evidence upholds the theory and belief has nothing to do with it.

The word "might" encompasses everything. A more cogent question is whether the evidence leads you to the conclusion that you evolved from feces, and whether it is the most plausible answer.

In my view the most plausible answer is that they descended from the first humans, and underwent micro-evolution [that is, evolution within a species]. Descent is proven, and micro-evolution is proven. Just as macro-evolution [one species turning itself into another species] runs contrary to all anthropology and archeology, the notion of the universe springing into existence from nothing without a cause is not only unproven, but it runs contrary to all known laws governing the world in which we live.

Its my view that we should follow the truth where ever it leads us, rather than becoming enamored with a particular paradigm and then trying to twist and manipulate the facts to fit the paradigm. Focusing on what we do know is helpful - particularly that nothing can spring into existence out of the void absent a cause that is equal to or greater than itself (cause and effect).

I sure don't have all of the answers, nor do any of us, so again I see it as a search for the most plausible. Is it plausible that once upon a time, there was no space, matter, energy or time, and that it all sprang into existence without a cause and then assembled itself through purely random processes into the incredibly organized universe that we observe? It would seem that this view is among the least plausible alternatives.

Things do come from nothing without a cause. Quantum mechanics work on an entirely different set of laws than the ones you're referencing.

"Man keeps looking for a truth that fits his reality. Given our reality, the truth doesn't fit. If you experience it, it's the truth. The same thing believed is a lie. In life, understanding is the boobie prize."

Werner Erhard

Anyway.... Back to cosmology. To "beginnings". Believers posit a God that is eternal. That has always existed. However, using the principal of Occam's razor, we ask... What's simpler? An intelligent, complex being powerful enough and complex enough to both design and create universes, and which further has existed "forever"....
Or, a limitless "void" that has as one of it's properties the occasional "bang" event or singularity.

Sure is interesting to debate all this but I still think it's pretty simple. We can't think "out of time" at least in our present form.

At the core of a black hole is a singularity, a point outside our physical universe -- as far as we can know just now. As that black hole continues to draw in matter surrounding it, the singularity builds in potential, collecting our present universe inside itself.

At the end of time, all no-longer-available matter is trapped in the singularity, and ... opens up in the next universe: ours. Ours? Time no longer exists once nothing moves or touches on anything but itself. When it all reopens on its own beginning, BANG

Actually, sexism is a darwinian concept.

Sexism is not a "darwinian concept" Darwin was a racist and a sexist. Just like the other Christians in his time and before. There is nothing special about it.

Last edited:
This entire business of referring to evolution theory as "Darwinism" is deceptive. Charles Darwin was the first to get the public's attention on the concept, but he himself left questions for his followers to answer. The theory has advanced tremendously since his time.

Creationism is a curious phenomenon. It's advocates are a minority of Christians (as well as hardliners in other religions) who take a literal view of the Bible (/other sacred writings).

Have people stopped to consider the macro causes behind this debate taking place in the first place? As far as I can tell the debate is the (ugly) death knell of a social institution that refuses to adapt to the modern world and its diminished role in it. Let me explain.

Traditionally Gods of any denomination have been used to fill in the gaps of our knowledge. As the body of scientific knowledge grows, there are less and less gaps for a God to hide in. When the only unexplained phenomena that remain predate the big bang, and factoring in that there are many competing creation myths and traditions, the credulity of any religion weakens.

A religion is much like a corporation. The devotees are it's customers. Without their customers to funnel in funds, the corporation whithers and dies. The corporation either digs in or attempts a bold turnaround strategy. Sometimes a religion will take a hard line and attempt to discredit new ideas or punishes heretics, other times it simply integrates the new ideas into the religion and modernizes.

Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Some religious groups see that as a threat to their power. The knowledge is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out. The harder you try the bigger the flood when the fence breaks.

Creationism is backed by a few books and some stories. Evolution is backed by literally tons of evidence you can hold in your hand. I just can't see how someone would choose belief over what they can see in front of them. I think it's a case of where people prefer to be sure than to be right. All that said and done I'll leave you with what my devout babtist wife said when I asked her the question.

"What difference does it make if I believe in evolution or not."

Believe in it or don't. It won't change what happened. ;)

I don't think you are a minority by believing in God AND Evolution, there are many people including the Vatican who recognize evolution but just see it as way God created earth. To be quite blunt with the Christians here, you cannot deny evolution. Ofcourse there are debates about the details, but the overwhelming majority of the scientist community see evolution as well proven.

For me personally? I see alot of evidence in my working day life that natural selection exists (I am a scientist), and for me God is not needed as explanation to what I observe. Furthermore, I don't see any evidence god exists and we are able to explain our universe without the need for a god, althought there is alot we don't know yet.

Evolution has nothing to do with probability, and people who try to disprove the theory of evolution by using probability have not understood the theory AT all.

:D

IMHO Biblical Creationism and Evolution have been shown to be true. The consensus is in and the argument is over. :D

Men, in a garden or not, will do stupid things for women and if you think people have become less able to think for themselves and or society has become retarded and make less sense over your life time, Thank the social engineer and the nanny state promoter for this test of the Evolution System. :D

but there have been repeated experiments based on bacterial colonies, how quickly antibitotic resistant strains breed out other strains when artificial selection is applied,
This doesn't support neo-darwinism.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...olutionism-BE-POLITE!?p=11949806#post11949806
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...olutionism-BE-POLITE!?p=11950164#post11950164
Edit:
In brief: There are 2 mechanisms for antibiotic resistence:
1- Natural ocurence through horizontal gene transfer
2- Mutations that "destroy" parts of the bacterial cell.

None can explain emergence of new creatures.
N.B:
Darwinists’ get out clause is “time” which excludes empirical science. But on a deeper analysis it’s not really “time”, but “generations”. That’s why scientists use fruit flies or bacteria in their research on mutations because of their short life span but the results are disappointing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back