Critters

IMG_20230418_105954689.jpgcygnet with broken wing ... Locals are feeding corn and in hopes it will become accustomed enough to be caught. It recognized right away that I had a bag of food and began swimming toward corn I left on shore for it. It spooked when another vehicle approached. Looks healthy ... High hopes. Brevity, grammar suffer as am typing from phone not keyboard ... hunt peck but miss a lot. 😁🐾

Update from Tue afternoon:. On way back to camp Cygnet was by road further downstream. Eager for corn I tossed. My sense is that soon it would eat from hand and could be rescued. But the high Spring current took it further downstream out of sight toward a section of the river with narrowing banks, faster water and eventually a turbulent flow and waterfalls. It knows food is upriver but can it fight against the Muskoka River in flood?

IMG_20230418_164943280.jpg

Update from Tue afternoon:. On way back to camp Cygnet was by road further downstream. Eager for corn I tossed. My sense is that soon it would eat from hand and could be rescued. But the high Spring current took it further downstream out of sight toward a section of the river with narrowing banks, faster water and eventually a turbulent flow and waterfalls. It knows food is upriver but can it fight against the Muskoka River in flood?

View attachment 2157606
Any chance to use a dip-net on the ground with corn? I hope someone can catch it and get it taken care of.
For those not familiar with dip-nets, they are basically huge landing nets with long handles (15-20’) used to catch salmon up here in AK.

Any chance to use a dip-net on the ground with corn? I hope someone can catch it and get it taken care of.
For those not familiar with dip-nets, they are basically huge landing nets with long handles (15-20’) used to catch salmon up here in AK.
Thanks for suggestion ... I am new to this particular situation and don't know the rescue strategy of the group. It looks like I have some sleuthing to do if I am to help beyond feeding corn - that's for sure. Again, your idea may get this big bird rescued. Appreciated. It has not fought the current to return to areas where it could be fed or caught. I will check the dam/waterfall area below its last location this afternoon.

Thanks for suggestion ... I am new to this particular situation and don't know the rescue strategy of the group. It looks like I have some sleuthing to do if I am to help beyond feeding corn - that's for sure. Again, your idea may get this big bird rescued. Appreciated. It has not fought the current to return to areas where it could be fed or caught. I will check the dam/waterfall area below its last location this afternoon.
Many areas have ‘wildlife rescue’ groups. When I lived in TX I volunteered with them.
If you fo manage to catch it, use a beach towel or blanket to restrain it and calm it so it doesn’t get hurt worse. I wish you good luck and wish I was able to help.

A couple of hawks.

This first one I saw on a side street. He flew from a tree at my 1 o'clock to a tree at my 10:30, snatched a squirrel and flew back to his original perch.

20220929_181615.jpg

This dude was sitting on top of a light pole at 7-11. Just as I was about to take the shot he dove down to the ground.

20210520_134412.jpg
20210520_134415.jpg

is3AagA.jpg

So I was flying down a dirt road on my bicycle and I realized that I just ran over a huge shredded snake skin. Stopped the bike went back and found that I had run over a snake, not just the skin. About 5 ft long and didn't seem to care that I ran him over. Weird....lol

TcG1Bc.jpg
qyTDiK.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I had been on my son's worksite when these were taken this morning - but since I left my campsite recently, mostly the wildest critter pics I've taken are of Japanese Beetles on the roses! Full disclosure - but I wanted to share these fresh with you 'critter' followers. 🐾

So ... thinking they looked thirsty, cold water offered

FOX KIT DRINKS 2023 07 02 650 MED.jpg

Play looks pretty fierce!

FOX KITS 2 2023 07 02650 MED.jpg

Three at play ..

FOX KITS 3 PLAY 2023 07 02 CROP 650 MED.jpg

what's not to love about a furry beaver?

this lil guy had nowhere to run- fortunately, neither myself nor the dog was interested in eating them. Also fortunately, I was able to get nice and close for a photo of this handsome devil
Dqz0ane.jpg

Back