Which do you prefer?

• Sebenza

Votes: 64 52.5%
  • xm-18

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • umnumzaan

Votes: 15 12.3%

• Total voters
These are two knives I do not own, but considering buying in the future.

Not sure which one I'll buy first. Honestly I like the umnumzaan better than the sebenza, but I know the sebenza is the golden goose of crk.

Anyways what would you recommend? Hinderer or CRK

Depends on what your intentions are. The xm-18 is quite thicker and heftier than the seb, But close to the zaan.

I’ve had both minus the zaan. Both great. I lean towards crk.

Just a casual edc to put in rotation, no real hard use. I enjoy a thick blade and heavy knife, but don't dislike slim knives either. I also enjoy a flipper just as much as a non-flipper so that doesn't matter to me. I'll eventually buy both.

Umnumzaan FTW!

I have 21’s, but always reach for the ‘Zaans, usually the Tanto.
I love the way the Umnumzaan action feels. I don’t mean the smoothness (although it’s got that). I really like the geometry of the thumb motion and the sensory feedback when it locks open, like the muted thug of a heavy safe door closing.

If one looks closely, the subtleties of the grind are awesome, no match for my feeble photographic skills.

I’ve never owned an XM-18 but I’ve handled them. I understand why people are passionate about them. They just haven’t grabbed onto me...but the Bowie’s tried a few times. ;)

Both are great knives ... but very different knives ..

so I don't think there is a simple answer ... I think it depends more on your uses and personal preferences ...

you said you prefer a thicker blade ... a heavier knife ... then my recommendation would be a Hinderer ... if you want a beefier heavier knife that still cuts well the Hinderer Sheepsfoot and new DLT Exclusive Swear Point are probably the best slicing Hinderers I have ... of course the Hinderer Slicer grind is too ...

The Sebenza 21 is the flagship model and it makes for a great carry knife ... a bit thinner which gives it maybe a slight edge in slicing ability (but IMHO if you have a good edge on either most people wouldn't ntice much of a cutting difference) ...

The Umnumzaan is one of my favorite CRKs ... it is just as well built and cuts as well as my 21 Sebenza ... but the Umnunzaans do have a break in period and some say they have trouble opening them ... it hurts their thumb ... it does take a slightly different motion to open but breaks in and is smooth ...

and CRKs do have the best tolerances of any knives I have owned ... and their famous vault like lockup ...

Hinderers also lock up great and sturdy it's just a different feel between the two ...

all that said I enjoy all three ... but if I had to pick only one it would be a Hinderer ...

one reason is CRK runs their steel a bit softer which is great for easy sharpening ... but I don't mind sharpening a knife and you can find different steels depending on which Hinderer you buy ...

another is the Hinderer feels good in my hand and fills it better ... not that the CRKs aren't comfortable because they are ... I just prefer the feel of a Hinderer slightly ... and I normally prefer a non-flipper ... but the Hinderer new Gen 6s are excellent flippers ...

and lastly you have so many options to customize a Hinderer with after market scales and hardware ... you can personalize them for your tastes easily.

So you can't go wrong ... it comes down to which draws you most ...

I’ve owned several of both. I find CRK to deliver a very consistent product. Hinderer not so much. I’ve gotten some good Hinderer’s but then I’ve gotten some with centering and detent issues. I feel if you’re paying north of $400 for a folder it shouldn’t have issues at all.

Xm-18 3.5 and large sebenza 21 are my two favorites..........flip a coin. You will be happy either way and you already said you would end up with both. Basically.....the sebenza is a better slicer, something I appreciate at work cutting up my apples. The xm-18 is hardcore beater with slightly better edge retention in super steels. If you get the xm-18 tho....I recommend breaking in the teflon washers over bearings. The bearings make a tank of a knife more delicate because they run against the titanium scales. Just my 2 cents. I understand customer demand drove hinderer to bearings but honestly.......they dont belong in the xm-18. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and the bearings are the weakest link. The XM-18 in stonewash also shows basically no wear while EDC the knife due to its finish.

Zaan is my favorite CRK hands down.

At the end of the day I like using the XM18 more, no choil. The ergos in use are just better for me. Plus a lot more flavors out there than the Zaan to tickle your fancy. Do yourself a favor and get a DLT no choil why you can. Both 3 and 3.5 are great users.

Both are quality builds with good customer service if needed, but they are different style knives. The Hinderer is a thicker stock knife .
For an all purpose great EDC I would go Sebenza. It can handle all reasonable tasks for a knife, easy to maintain and carries well. If you go with either of the other 2 you will still have a fine knife, but Sebenza would be my 1st choice.

I have both a large & small sebenza and a 3" xm-18 I prefer the XM. The main reason I like flippers better. If CRK would add a flipper tab to the sebenza I think it would be a perfect knife.. By the way I HATE CRK's thumb stud it's the devil!!!

I've got both and you know what, it really doesn't matter which I like the best or which one I'd recommend. What matters is which one appeals to you the most. Take your time deciding, read some threads about each one or the already numerous threads about this subject, see which one is the closet to your budget. Look at some for sale here to see the best price. If you don't buy on impulse, then whichever one you chose, you'll enjoy it without regret.

I've owned 10 CRK By now and 3 RHK in the past year. Each RHK was less than stellar and each CRK was sold with regret.

RHK can look the part but CRK plays the part.

Better slicing , better lock up and better build. BBB.

Same goes for the Inkosi and Umnum. They are both my Second choice followed by an XM-18 which has highest HP grip.

RHK knows the market and listens a bit better with more options.

The perfect company would be the qualities of both companies.

Until that day comes, which it won't. Sebenza is the answer.

IMG_20190121_192156~2.jpg

Last edited:
The technology of the Umnumzaan is so much newer than the Sebenza. It feels much more “tight” to me with its single soft ‘thud’ when opening vs. the clanked-clank of a Sebenza.

The Umnumzaan uses similar ceramic ball lockup technology as Inkosi.

BTW, I do love how plain CRKs age.

Last edited:
Like everyone said it's gonna come down to your personal preference, intended use, and budget. I havent owned a Zaan YET, but these three are my current favorites by the makers in question. The skinny slicer is as close to perfection in a Hinderer I have found after buying and selling a few, the blade stock is .140" vs .120" of the Sebenza, so very close. As you can see that choil takes up a lot of useful real estate hence DLT's no choil option. If DLT's upcoming Gen 6 no choil slicer is a skinny it would be my "Holy Hinderer Grail". As much as I LOVE my skinny slicer I'd sell it before I sold either of these two Sebenzas. A Sebenza is a wonderful knife, it's smooth, precise and has such clean crisp machining. So if I could have only one it'd be a large Sebenza Insingo, lots of cutting edge and very slicey.
XwjlWed.jpg

I've had multiples of all three models. Did not like the 3" and 3.5" XM's at all; sold them quickly.
Had two variants of Zaans. Had many small and large Sebbies.
I prefer the large 1/8" Sebbie, but the Zaan (0.140" thick spine) is also great,
but a little more for heavy-duty use.

The Large Insingo is the only CRK I would still consider after the recent glut of high-quality Ti+S35VN folders at much better price points. It’s just a very good cutting tool.

I haven’t handled a Hinderer since 2014 and wasn’t exactly impressed at the time. No idea how the current models are.

Back