Which do you prefer?

• Sebenza

Votes: 64 52.5%
  • xm-18

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • umnumzaan

Votes: 15 12.3%

• Total voters
Well the umnumzaan has been the one I've really wanted for a long time now, so it is likely the one I'll go with. I'll definitely buy off the forum. I enjoy threads like this because it's great seeing everybody's input.

Well the umnumzaan has been the one I've really wanted for a long time now, so it is likely the one I'll go with. I'll definitely buy off the forum. I enjoy threads like this because it's great seeing everybody's input.
If you haven’t, make sure you search some of the old Umnumzaan threads on the CRK Forum (like this one) so you know what to expect. Like many, my thumb and my Zaan took a few weeks getting used to each other the first time around.:)

The Zaan is a fantastic knife, even more once you get used to open it. The hollow grind is amazing, it's a great cutting tool, quite agressive. The XM18 is also a great knife, with maybe better ergos but a standard grind is definitely not as competent as a slicer than the Zaan.

jMjSdm0.jpg

XM-18 all day every day. I don't think I've never kept my Startac Umnumzaan in my pocket for 1 complete day in the almost 2 years I have owned it. I find the quality and specs to be spot on but damn if it's not a boring knife, in my opinion, and I hate how it opens. I feel just the opposite about a Hinderer.

Last edited:
Have a crk and not a hinderer, but i gotta admit I really like how that hinderer looks with a sheepsfoot blade.

I own a variation of the three mentioned here. There are the Large 21 plain jane with drop point blade, the umnumzaan and XM-18 3.5 Gen IV with Spanto blade, all in S35VN blade steel. All three are great designs.
_D2H4231_zpsq7afha6r.jpg

_D2H4225_zps4jzopcdw.jpg

Obviously the XM-18 is beefier than the other two and the only flipper. The umnumzaan have a unique style in which to deploy the blade. It does take some training to be able to operate smoothly. But once you get the hang of it, it is a remarkable folder to use. All three uses allen hex tools to assemble/disassemble. I would say both the Umnumzaan and XM-18 does require a bit of tweaking to get the blade centered compared to the Sebenza. Advantage of the Sebenza, is that it uses only 1 tool, a 5/64" hex allen, whilst the Umnumzaan require 2 tools, 5/64" & 1/8". XM18 requires 3 tools, 5/64" hex, Philips No2 and a slotted. As for ergonomics, i find that the CRKs tend to be more comfortable to use in my hands as one can put the grip all along the handle, whereas on the XM18, the grip does follow the way the handle is sculptured. Another worth noting is that both the CRKs have the lock bar relief cutout on the inside of the handle. The XM18 cutout on the outside. Having the cutout on the inside balance the appearance of the CRKs. The Sebenza does have a rounded blade spine. This is a neat feature for me and provides a more nicer feeling in the hands. An advantage on the XM18 mould be the flipper tab does add a safety to the index finger when closing the blade. All three pivots are smooth. The XM18 is having the teflon washers. Out of the three, the Sebenza would be the easiest to maintain due to the single tool requirement and pivot design. I do edc all three models and love them all too. As for blade style, both CRK and Hinderer does have different styles available for purchase. So it all boils down to what you want the folder to do.

I own a number of Knives from both companies. Both are great knives. The gen 6 Hinderer’s are the best to come out of Ohio. They have a smooth action and flip great. The ergonomics are superior (for me) than anything I’ve handled from Crk. They run their S35vn harder than Crk and do offer 20cv as a steel option. You can dress your knife up with after market scales, pivot screws...

The Sebenza, like all knives from Crk are simple works of art. They are effective slicers compared to the Xm-18. With an all Ti construction, Crk might be a better value. The one thing that has been an issue for me with Crk is opening the damn knife. From my Zaan to my 25, I have found them cumbersome to open. As I have aged, my hands aren’t what they use to be.

Either way, these are two quality pieces. I give the slight nod to Hinderer.

I really didn’t see the ole Sebenza walking away with this one, thought it’d be closer than this. Though I guess a lot of guys (my self included) have owned both these knives, some of us multiple times. I voted for the Sebenza because I find myself not liking flippers anymore.

Maybe I am in the minority but the angular point at the end of the large CRK Sebenza handle makes my palm sore. Never tried a zaan but just from the picture it does not seem to have that issue.

The Large Insingo is the only CRK I would still consider after the recent glut of high-quality Ti+S35VN folders at much better price points. It’s just a very good cutting tool.

I haven’t handled a Hinderer since 2014 and wasn’t exactly impressed at the time. No idea how the current models are.

I have a couple CRKs & six XM-18s that I pretty much carried exclusively. I've had excellent luck with both brands & have always had trouble deciding which I liked best. I even had planned on adding at least one more of each this year, because I don't have a problem paying $4-500 for them since the quality is there.

Then along comes the Laconico/Keen for $140 & I've yet to carry a CRK or Hinderer since it came.

I have 3 Hinderers and 2 Sebenzas plus the Umnumzaan. The one I like best is the XM-18. Nothing wrong with either brand though. After I got this XM-18 sharpened (because it came rather dull) It's one of my favorites. Hinderers just fit my hand better and feel more secure.

29fpnae.jpg

Umnumzaan FTW!

I have 21’s, but always reach for the ‘Zaans, usually the Tanto.
I love the way the Umnumzaan action feels. I don’t mean the smoothness (although it’s got that). I really like the geometry of the thumb motion and the sensory feedback when it locks open, like the muted thug of a heavy safe door closing.

If one looks closely, the subtleties of the grind are awesome, no match for my feeble photographic skills.

I’ve never owned an XM-18 but I’ve handled them. I understand why people are passionate about them. They just haven’t grabbed onto me...but the Bowie’s tried a few times. ;)
Ok that zaan tanto is sick. Deep belly drop point tanto is what dreams are made of.

I had an Umnumzaan and several XM-18s. I still own an XM-18.

Speaking for those two options, I think the Hinderer is better done. The Hinderer has better steel, harder HT, better ergos, more opening options, and is more customizable, plus it continues to be updated to this day (if you're interested in different blade shapes/thicknesses, steels, pivot systems, etc). Neither of them slice particularly well, so I'm not really concerned that the Umnumzaan is more slicy. My Umnumzaan was fairly well made but it was just a decent execution of a dated design that isn't that great, in my opinion. Especially with that lazy tanto design that's just completely missing a primary grind at the tip.

Back