crks warranty department leaves a bit to be desired

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the sebenza was normally a pretty expensive knife (albeit very high quality and worth the money to most people) but this is taking it to a whole nother level, this guy wants to pay $130 for a millimeter or so of steel?

More power to you spydusse, I think you're being silly and if you really sat down and had a long think about it you'd decide differently but; whatever makes you happy :)

You know, I'd say that if you'd sharpied the blade and it was that far out of whack and you knew you didn't want to grind that much metal off of the blade, why not just call CRK right then? If I was them, I wouldn't give you a new blade for free either. You sharpened the hell out of it and it definitely looks used to me.

I think it's time this thread just ended. CRK's warranty seems good enough for me and I'm gonna use my sebbies like they were intended, regardless of price.

My apologies if I've offended anyone, but really, you should've stopped while you were ahead.

Thanks Anne for clearing that up and showing the pics as proof. I have all the faith in the world with CRK and your service, no questions asked. Your outstanding service and quality is well known.

Long story short: a new knife was purchased, buyer sharpened blade not to his liking, then wanted a new blade for free........claiming it was shipped that way is ridiculous. This should be chocked up to lessons learned ( how to use a sharpmaker properly ) and live with the damage done, or pay $130 for a new blade......Or have Chris regrind it for free....... End of story.

We all make mistakes as to where things get ruined, live with it, don't try and pin it on someone else...!!!

Strange thread and a sign of the times we live in.

One would think that anyone who tries to reprofile/sharpen a pristine 400 dollar knife would learn and master sharpening technique first and only then get at it with due diligence. At least that's what I did when my first Seb came with an edge that was a bit too steep for my liking. I took it as a challenge to learn and master freehand sharpening and am forever thankful for the acquired skill.
It's either that and buckling up when something goes wrong or sending it back in it's original condition to let CRK set you right as they see it fit.

And above all: The Seb's convex edge is one of it's main features. Why compromising that with a sharpening jig?! Just get a Spyderco ProFile in Medium and freehand it. It's not exactly rocket science.

Haven't read all this. But when you get the knife back, go get some double sided tape, 120, 220, 600, 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit paper. Put a strip of tape on the 30° flats, and reprofile on the 120, gradually getting finer, and eventually, mirror polished . Then micro bevel on the sm stones. Or wait for a free day to use your EP (>_< forgot you said you had one )

@crk its not we may have sent the edge really wide YOU DID. Look at the dam thing I never hit the edge YOU can cleary see that ! Im done witth this dam arrogant condescending company . Get ready fanboys cause if you want one it will be on the exchange when I get it back. Im not the only person that feels this way about the company either they just don't want to speak up here and get attacked by the fanboy lynch mob, again at crk look at the dam edge you can cleary see where I never made contact with the edge in the area whiile rest of blade is fine. Go into your shop measure the dam thing and don't come back here with your may haves its clear as day how dam wide that area is and you still see original edge

&#44608;&#50896;&#51652;;10094464 said:
can i have the messed up blade? :thumbup: really though :)
sure ill be selling it and the new one and whole knife on exchange when I get it back and you can see what I'm talking about . Oh let us take a far away shot so no one sees the double bevel in question . Its wide really wide

Thanks Anne for clearing that up and showing the pics as proof. I have all the faith in the world with CRK and your service, no questions asked. Your outstanding service and quality is well known.

Long story short: a new knife was purchased, buyer sharpened blade not to his liking, then wanted a new blade for free........claiming it was shipped that way is ridiculous. This should be chocked up to lessons learned ( how to use a sharpmaker properly ) and live with the damage done, or pay $130 for a new blade......Or have Chris regrind it for free....... End of story.

We all make mistakes as to where things get ruined, live with it, don't try and pin it on someone else...!!!
im not a lier. The thing came super wide. I feel like sending you the blade in question when I get it back un ground and you can apologize for questioning my integrity, ok?

Im sorry if im coming off a bit harsh but im a former marine an one thing that was pounded into my head was integrity and I don't like when people question mine. Again@ crk you can still see the orginal edge I never hit cause of how wide it is ,there is no need for maybes or may haves MEASURE IT

Last edited:
Im sorry if im coming off a bit harsh but im a former marine an one thing that was pounded into my head was integrity and I don't like when people question mine. Again@ crk you can still see the orginal edge I never hit cause of how wide it is ,there is no need for maybes or may haves MEASURE IT

You don't want anyone to question your integrity ??? With your outbursts, your questioning CRK's integrity and anyone that responds and does not side with you. If you come to this forum page and basically bash CRK Customer Service and Products, its not surprising to you that the responses towards you are negative ??? The CRK fan base if not made up of "fanboys" as it has been called. Its like a little family and when you speak negative about Chris and Anne, who have done more for the modern knife industry than most, your going to get responses not to your liking.

I just checked out the pics Anne posted on my computer as looking at them on the iphone was impossible to see the details. The edge profile in those pics is a Classic Example of a knife that was improperly sharpened using the sharpmaker. If you look back through forum posts about sharpmaker issues, you will see nearly everyone that has had issues has the thin blade profile on aprox. the first 1/3 of the knife. This is where the sharpie technique is golden. When your using the sharpmaker ( for example, your stroking down the ceramic sticks on the left side, as you get to that first 1/3 of the knife, you MUST tilt it to the right and begin to point down. When stroking down the right side, tilt the blade to the left during that first 1/3. This will maintain the factory edge and bevel. With the sharpie on the blade, you will see this in one or two strokes. With the hardness of CRK blades, when you see blades like this, its from easily over 100 strokes on each side. Its just technique that is Learned. I have used the sharpmaker and similar CASE Crock Stick sharpeners for over 25 years and made custom knives for aprox. 12 years, so I have lots of experience with blade edges and bevels. I REALLY need to do a sharpmaker video to show people the proper way to sharpen a knife with the sharpmaker so all this can be avoided.

I say, just chock it up to leason's learned, buy a new blade, save the old blade for times when your going to put a beaten on the knife and be done with it. Best of luck to ya and I Thank You for serving this Great Country.

.i guess my fifty other knives that worked out perfectly everytime i sharpen wich at this point might be in the thousands I just lucked out with? I want to send you the knife blade before I sell it so you can see what im talking about. I work at a plant nursery I can dull knives pretty fast when cuttiing up burlap and twine is in order. I know how to use a sharpmake trust me

Last edited:
Having read through the entire thread, I'd say sell the man a new blade and return his original and be done with this episode. Let this be a lesson for all the rest of us - if you spot a fault or think something's wrong, contact the manufacturer and let them handle it from there.

Having read through the entire thread, I'd say sell the man a new blade and return his original and be done with this episode. Let this be a lesson for all the rest of us - if you spot a fault or think something's wrong, contact the manufacturer and let them handle it from there.
+1. :)

.i guess my fifty other knives that worked out perfectly everytime i sharpen wich at this point might be in the thousands I just lucked out with? I want to send you the knife blade before I sell it so you can see what im talking about. I work at a plant nursery I can dull knives pretty fast when cuttiing up burlap and twine is in order. I know how to use a sharpmake trust me

You sharpened knives " thousands " of times...????????? Really ? You know how to use a sharpmaker... ???? Obviously not from the pics shown. Keep your blade and save the postage. People have tried to be nice to you on here, but your acting like a 2 year old...!!! " I wanna new blade..... I wanna new blade for free "....Freaking Grow Up..... This thread should be moved to Wine & Cheese ...!!!

"Let this be a lesson for all of us" don't sharpen a knife unless you know how or else you'll goober up the edge somethin aweful.

Spyderbusse you are obviously not like the rest of us if you'll pay $130 to get a "perfect" blade that you'll just goober up the first time you sharpen it. By the way, you telling us you were a marine doesn't mean squat about your integrity, but trying to get a free blade for the problem you created, does speak volumes. Even if you are totally correct and the blade grind was off...you still goobered up the blade trying to fix it...thus the problem is yours, not CRK. I am very sure you learned about personal reponsibility in the marines.

I have a new small sebenza. The angles fit the sharpmaker perfectly, exactly 15 degrees, unlike spydeco, where they are usually about 13 degrees. I use no special sharpening technique for the sebenza, just the normal one suggested in the spyderco CD. You don't need a sharpie, just a hand lens to see the edge if you've got poor eyesight, otherwise you just need light.

You obviously Edge Pro-ed it, trying to correct what you deemed to be a manufacturer's mistake, and then, when the so called mistake was no longer apparant, you send the knife back and demand a new blade? CRK has offered to have the head of the company sharpen your knife so that you won't be able to tell the difference...either take them up on it, buy a new blade for $130, or shut up about this entire thing. Those are your options...they'll fix the knife as best they can (and they've said you won't be able to tell the difference) or they'll sell you a new blade. That's it. You just have to pick which you want. Sorry if it's not exactly what you wanted, but those are the options, regardless of whether you like them.

Anne, thank you for posting those pictures...very interesting to see. Seeing as it's been Edge Pro-ed, it's hard to tell what the original edge looked like. I think us "fanboys" see your offer as being very reasonable.

You sharpened knives " thousands " of times...????????? Really ? You know how to use a sharpmaker... ???? Obviously not from the pics shown. Keep your blade and save the postage. People have tried to be nice to you on here, but your acting like a 2 year old...!!! " I wanna new blade..... I wanna new blade for free "....Freaking Grow Up..... This thread should be moved to Wine & Cheese ...!!!
not from the pics posted try going through the thread again buddy and look at the pics i posted. Funny how your the one throwing insluts around and then telling me to take it to whine and cheese haha. And someone please post were I demanded a new blade from crk for free. I told them give me a new blade and I will pay as I am aware I shouldn't of tried to correct the mistake. my title doesn't say crks warranty is garbage it says leaves a bit to be desired

Last edited:
not from the pics posted try going through the thread again buddy and look at the pics i posted. Funny how your the one throwing insluts around and then telling me to take it to whine and cheese haha. And someone please post were I demanded a new blade from crk for free. I told them give me a new blade and I will pay as I am aware I shouldn't of trid to correct the mistake. my title doesn't say crks warranty is garbage it says leaves a biiit to be desired

The Only Pics That Matter Are The Ones CRK Posted Because That Is What They Received From You.

Like The One Post States.......Learn To Spell !!! " inslutls ".....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back