CRKT Could Eat Spyderco's and Benchmade's Lunches

If CRKT would upgrade its blade steels and handle material (from aluminum to titanium), I think they would eat the hell out of Spyderco's and Benchmade's lunches. (ZT is a bit of a different world, so I'm unsure on that one.) CRKT's designs are sooooo cool, and the company is slowly beginning to realize that they can charge more for a knife if they make it better. (See the Pilar, Caligo, and Crossbones for examples.) I really hope CRKT keeps down this road.

They *do* have to stop selling knives in 1.4116 steel for $150, though <cough>Seismic<cough>, and I think that they need to be cautious in selling items like the Provoke (which is terrific, don't get me wrong) for $200, since that price point strongly encourages poaching from overseas. Bottom line: if they up their materials and QA game, I think CRKT could become either the powerhouse in production folders, or in the top two.

Your thoughts?

I really like CRKT and have a number of their knives (including the crossbones). :thumbsup: I do however, feel you are getting a bit carried away. :rolleyes: You sound a bit like "if Corvettes came with better handling, better interior materials and more styling they would be up there with Ferrari and Lamborghini. NOT! ;)

I’ve always liked the designs of the Pilar and Caligo, but I’ll never buy another CRKT. Had a Jettison close under normal use and it literally cut my finger to the bone. I saw my bone. Thankfully no nerve/tendon damage but I have a nice big scar for my troubles. Not only do they need to use better materials, they need to have their knives produced in a better factory. In my experience they make good looking garbage.

I really like CRKT and have a number of their knives (including the crossbones). :thumbsup: I do however, feel you are getting a bit carried away. :rolleyes: You sound a bit like "if Corvettes came with better handling, better interior materials and more styling they would be up there with Ferrari and Lamborghini. NOT! ;)

I don't think it's nearly as big a jump as you say it is. The designs are already in place. They really need to do two things, in my opinion: (1) Simply swap materials for the blade and scales (and maybe washers if they use teflon in anything), and (2) hire people to inspect what comes off the line closely. To me, these don't sound like wholesale changes.

I’ve always liked the designs of the Pilar and Caligo, but I’ll never buy another CRKT. Had a Jettison close under normal use and it literally cut my finger to the bone. I saw my bone. Thankfully no nerve/tendon damage but I have a nice big scar for my troubles. Not only do they need to use better materials, they need to have their knives produced in a better factory. In my experience they make good looking garbage.

Yikes. I see why you'd never buy another CRKT. Yes, they need better quality control. If you don't mind my asking, what happened? I know the knife cut you to the bone; that's not what I'm asking. If you were pushing down with the blade and the lock failed, wouldn't the blade have gone backwards? I'm just curious as to the setup in those final moments that led to that catastrophic failure.

If CRKT offered better materials, fit and finish, QC, heat treatment, and attention to detail needed to compete with those companies, they'd be an entirely different company. And I bet they'd still be poor in terms of value.

Yeah, you are of the same mind as K katanas . I personally don't see big problems with fit and finish. I can't comment on heat treatment. As for QC, I think this is a matter of simply hiring more people dedicated to checking the knives at each stage of production, as well as having a system where employees can tell management where the problem areas of production are -- the latter like they do (did?) at Toyota.

Last edited:
1) They are doing quite well with what they do, so they would be crazy to stop.
2) sure, if they upped their materials and tolerances and prices they could compete in the same market as the Spydecos and the Benchmades. If you think their designs are "sooooo cool," then, yes, they might exceed them. I don't dont see any world shattering design innovation out them. They just seem gimmicky to me. High end gimmicks are still gimmicks to me.

Not a lot of love for CRKT here. Maybe I should just close the thread, if everyone feels this way. :/
Everyone doesn't; I said I like CRKT, a lot. :thumbsup: I just agree they need to upgrade but will stay middle of the pack "of better knives" not "up with the best". ;) Please leave it open for a bit. :)

Not a lot of love for CRKT here. Maybe I should just close the thread, if everyone feels this way. :/
Don't close the thread. The issue here is that a lot of us have been burned by CRKT in the past.

I'd love to see an experienced and high-end OEM execute their designs.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that CRKT has a lot of great designs, the problem is that a lot of people are sick and tired of how badly made most of them are.

I would absolutely love seeing CRKT begin to have their knives made just that little bit better.

Yeah, you are of the same mind as K katanas . I personally don't see big problems with fit and finish. I can't comment on heat treatment. As for QC, I think this is a matter of simply hiring more people dedicated to checking the knives at each stage of production, as well as having a system where employees can tell management where the problem areas of production are -- the latter like they do (did?) at Toyota.

I don't think they do fit and finish very well when compared to their competition. If anybody is eating anybody's lunch, it's CIVIVI/Tangram/Kershaw eating CRKT's lunch. They offer better stuff for the money. I think CRKT could do very well if they made a high end line that was designed by CRKT and produced by a high end plant that isn't lionsteel.

Didn't a lot of their upgraded Crossbones knives have issues with lockstick? And the XOC was supposedly recalled.

I have a few CRKTs and they're not bad for what they are, and they were among the first folders I collected, so I can thank them for getting me started in this hobby. Mine aren't bad for what they are, but I don't see myself buying another one for a while (possibly other than the provoke). If i'm buying a knife in their price range I'm probably going to buy a Kershaw or CIVIVI.

Don't close the thread. The issue here is that a lot of us have been burned by CRKT in the past.

I'd love to see an experienced and high-end OEM execute their designs.

There is no reason they shouldn’t be able to put an order in with Chinese factories that are putting out better quality knives. Since it could be a huge bulk order they wouldn’t need to charge that much more than the OEM itself would if it were retailing.

I imagine that many makers are reticent to work with them since they often want unique mechanisms in their knives.

Whoever made the Provoke for them could likely make some decent 80-100$ price range stuff under CRKT brand if they wanted.

One of my favorite and first name brand knives was a m16-12z back then the steel was Aus 8 but great blade. I'd still buy a spyderco of benchmade over a crkt though.

Yeah the Provoke is supposed to be pretty neat and Knives Ship Free just got a batch of fresh ones that look like they ship with the sheath.

Last edited:
Yeah the Provoke is supposed to be pretty neat and Knives Ship Free just got a batch of fresh ones that look like they ship with the sheath.

The sheath is $35 extra (plus tax & shipiping from CRKT) and, as far as I've seen here, I'm one of the 1st to get one. See my review of the sheath here

Back