CRKT Could Eat Spyderco's and Benchmade's Lunches

I own over 30 CRKTs, over 100 Spydercos and 7 Benchmades (all but one an auto or bali).

CRKT knives are fine for what they are, which I personally view as just a step above Kershaw and 2-3 below ZT. I like the ones I own but, in my opinion, CRKT cannot possibly surpass Spyderco or Benchmade (in terms of quality and reputation) by just changing the type of steel they use. They'd have to do A LOT more than that and charge much more for their knives, as a result, to achieve that.

Last edited:
If CRKT would upgrade its blade steels and handle material (from aluminum to titanium), I think they would eat the hell out of Spyderco's and Benchmade's lunches. (ZT is a bit of a different world, so I'm unsure on that one.) CRKT's designs are sooooo cool, and the company is slowly beginning to realize that they can charge more for a knife if they make it better. (See the Pilar, Caligo, and Crossbones for examples.) I really hope CRKT keeps down this road.

They *do* have to stop selling knives in 1.4116 steel for $150, though <cough>Seismic<cough>, and I think that they need to be cautious in selling items like the Provoke (which is terrific, don't get me wrong) for $200, since that price point strongly encourages poaching from overseas. Bottom line: if they up their materials and QA game, I think CRKT could become either the powerhouse in production folders, or in the top two.

Your thoughts?
Yet another controversial thread I see. ;)

Crkt has had ample opportunity to change their ways over the years. They have chosen not to do so. Even if they did, they would need a bit of time to overcome the reputation they've built for themselves. I don't see that happening. They won't crush the top dogs in the budget or mid/high end categories for knife enthusiasts. They can't decide if we are their market.

Even if they upped the qc/f&f they would need In house flagship designs to compete.

The sheath is $35 extra (plus tax & shipiping from CRKT) and, as far as I've seen here, I'm one of the 1st to get one. See my review of the sheath here
Yeah no sheath. Was looking at a tiny phone picture.

It's a really tempting little thing for sure.

The first thing (well, two things) they would need to do is use better steels. Just as important, they need to find a heat treater who is 100% consistant, and run their Rc higher. I would guess some of their knives are at 55 Rockwell, or so.

Other than that, their fit and finish is comparable to a mid-tier Kershaw.

The hardest part would be shedding their "CRKT, lol" image. Five years of doing it well might start to help, but can they afford the loss, in the meantime?

Alternatively, can they achieve the economy of scale to both get the blades right, and the cost-per-unit low enough to stay in the black?

Love many of CRKT's designs. Sometimes the fit and finish is hit or miss, to be honest. Small things that the normal user wouldn't notice, but a knife person might. Can only think of a few off the top of my head, but overall, I am happy and view CRKT more in the positive than the negative.

If CRKT would upgrade its blade steels and handle material (from aluminum to titanium), I think they would eat the hell out of Spyderco's and Benchmade's lunches. (ZT is a bit of a different world, so I'm unsure on that one.) CRKT's designs are sooooo cool, and the company is slowly beginning to realize that they can charge more for a knife if they make it better. (See the Pilar, Caligo, and Crossbones for examples.) I really hope CRKT keeps down this road.

They *do* have to stop selling knives in 1.4116 steel for $150, though <cough>Seismic<cough>, and I think that they need to be cautious in selling items like the Provoke (which is terrific, don't get me wrong) for $200, since that price point strongly encourages poaching from overseas. Bottom line: if they up their materials and QA game, I think CRKT could become either the powerhouse in production folders, or in the top two.

Your thoughts?
If crkt would use a good heat treatment and had better quality, they could be a decent competitor in the Chinese budget market against WE Knives, Kizer, etc. As it stands a better steel type isn't going to be better if they give it a piss poor heat treatment.

So no they can't sit with spyderco or Benchmade. Nor will they ever. They outsource to the lowest bidder and mark prices up high for max profits on there gimmicks.

The few higher end stuff they done failed due to the place run by hipsters and making poor decision on the model to do it with. Or various design choices when choosing that model. Be it style, poor choice of materials, poor action, engineering of the design overall, poor cutting etc etc etc

Last edited:
The first thing (well, two things) they would need to do is use better steels. Just as important, they need to find a heat treater who is 100% consistant, and run their Rc higher. I would guess some of their knives are at 55 Rockwell, or so.

Other than that, their fit and finish is comparable to a mid-tier Kershaw.

The hardest part would be shedding their "CRKT, lol" image. Five years of doing it well might start to help, but can they afford the loss, in the meantime?

Alternatively, can they achieve the economy of scale to both get the blades right, and the cost-per-unit low enough to stay in the black?
I think all they need is a couple of big hitters like Shabazz and that Snuggle dude to tout their knives, and everyone will buy them.

Build it right-> Shabazz endorses-> BHQ runs out of stock.

That's what happened with the S35VN Pilar.

I think all they need is a couple of big hitters like Shabazz and that Snuggle dude to tout their knives, and everyone will buy them.

Build it right-> Shabazz endorses-> BHQ runs out of stock.

That's what happened with the S35VN Pilar.
I dislike knife trends and non user reviews who focus on collecting and action more than being a legit knife for cutting. Focus on performance and Yada Yada Yada.
I dislike bladehq which BTW Ben used to work for crkt and it shows, he's a smart sales man. I dislike many of the sprints they make based off of trends. Must be great knives cause they all sell out, right?

In any case, I still watch Shabazz, but more and more I see he's not the knife reviewer for me, but do like to hear what he has to say, he's entertaining, and gives a good view of the knafs. But overall he's bias and admits that, but it feels like what he says is followed as gospel by knife fans. When it's clearly just his opinion of his bias for knives he enjoys in light office and home use in suburbs. And hey there's nothing wrong with that. I just find it a problem when he converts so many viewers to his opinion and curb things that just don't make sense) mind you I've only recently came to this conclusion as he's gained so much popularity and so many people in social media keep making up things based on what he said or skewed things he's said). Guess it's less of a problem with him and more so his fanboys/fanbase

And snuggle bunny is purely into show knives and showing off cool things. Usually quality things. But yea. I just watch his vids in HD and turn off the sound. He does have a good voice for YouTube though.

Last edited:
I have several CRKT knife shaped objects. I like the Drifter but the materials, execution and QC is so bad on the rest they are worthless. They do have some cool designs but they are not on par with Spyderco and Benchmade when looked at as a whole line of knives.

They are a design and marketing shop and don't really care about making a quality product. The latest more expensive efforts are just more of a marketing stunt. That said I'd love to see them diversify the lineup with better materials and bring in some US made models in the $60 to $150 range.

Reactions: Mo2
I've said many times that CRKT has great innovative ideas that COULD have huge potential .

BUT , their corporate culture seems locked into treating these innovations as only marketing gimmicks . They nearly always cheap out and fail to bring a decent quality final product to the market .

To ad insult to injury , they came up with a MAP type thing that call UP (or UPS ?). I'll grant they've got balls ! :rolleyes:

I love the Pilar and that’s about the only CRKT I came to be fond of. But if I had one brand to for totally raising their game then let it be Boker! They have sweet designs but tons of inconsistent quality

I love the Pilar and that’s about the only CRKT I came to be fond of. But if I had one brand to for totally raising their game then let it be Boker! They have sweet designs but tons of inconsistent quality
I dunno what's worse boker or crkt. I suspect they use the same factories in china tbo. They both made me get better knives cause I disliked how they visually made me want them but got a bad product once received. I can't say I enjoyed being put into that situation. If only I knew better or had saved money instead of buying in my price range at the time.

Your thoughts?

Possibly, or they'll do like Gerber has and make a completely inept leap into the realm of higher end knives. Upgrading materials alone won't do it. The fit, finish and thoughtful combination of features matter too.

If CRKT made a Maxamet and Ti Ken Onion slacker I'd be excited! If they then announced it was assisted open, tip down carry and weighed 6 oz I'd make a hard pass. Especially if they left the blade "as ground" like they did on that $700 monstrosity released recently.

Reactions: Mo2
I have to say, even before I got into knives crkt seemed like cheap junk. Some cool designs, but they felt like toys.

I decided recently to get a Caligo because I thought it was a cool looking little knife. When I received it the lock up was really early, but I flipped it a bunch and it wore in a little and holds strong. I really like it, I feel it's a decently made, inexpensive knife. I've used it a bit and it's holding up so far, even the edge is holding well. Guess I got a good one!

On the other hand, a comparably priced Kershaw is even better (looking at you Natrix CF!) so crkt has some ways to go. Still, I don't regret my Caligo purchase. I'll continue to use it and enjoy it. Will I buy more crkts? Maybe not, just depends. I'd rather have more spydercos, Kershaws, and ZTs... The 0562cf I just picked up is really great! Just have to fix the edge (used knife) but powers out so I'll have to wait for tomorrow!

Back