Photos CRKT/Crawford/AG Russell One Hand Knife, Finally.

Over 30 Years ago I went to my first big knife show. It was either ECCKS or NYCKS. I forget which I just remember I had about $600 to spend and no idea what to expect.

First off I met several key people in the industry, Sal Glesser,(bought my first Spyderco the C01 Worker. I remember tellin' him he had a funny lookin’ knife there. Ugly even and wished him luck. Whatever happened to Sal and his lumpy knife with the hole in the blade?

uhstFlO.jpg

I met several custom makers, a neighbor and my favorite fixed blade maker Bud Nealy was first. I bought an Aikuchi 1 of 7 he made for the show. Still have and carry it as a last ditch backup for my pistol. The man makes one of the most versatile sheath systems and a knife I trust my life with.

ojOwZOH.jpg

Then I met Pat and Wes Crawford, makers of my second custom knife and first custom folder. The knife was the one AG Russel modeled his K87 after, which I bought also later on as a cheaper version of Pat’s knife.

The frame and back spring on the Crawford Framelock was machined from a single piece of SS and the ATS 34 blade at the time was considered to be state of the art.

Even though I bought the almost identical AG Russell K87 I couldn’t put down the Crawford and it became my EDC for nearly 30 years. It was so slim it slid comfortably into my wallet. It was a 3.75” blade which gave it a little reach making it a handful but oh so light and slender. It was the perfect side kick for me and I used the heck out of it................

Sorry I don't have any pics of the Crawford but it had the same shape blade and handle only 15-20% bigger than the CRKT

AG Russell K87 One hand opener Framelock (Not my knife but an incredible duplicate ;) )

KLC11554_1.jpg

Till that fateful day I lost my wallet with two custom Crawfords and a little folder with a Stainless Damascus blade I’d won from the first GAW I entered. I lost a lot that day with my wallet. Mostly I figured I’d never be able to replace the Crawford. I even bought 2 more AG Russell’s K87s that I promptly gave away.

I lost my wallet with the knives almost 5 years ago around this time of year. 3 Days ago I saw a thread here with the CRKT Crawford

Now I know it’s not in the same league as a $300 custom Crawford and the 8Cr14MoV steel isn’t ATS34 but hey I only paid $20 including S&H.

I got the knife in 2 days and just took it out for pics. As soon as I held it in my hands again I had an ear to ear grin that couldn’t be wiped off.

The handle is made of three pieces and double pinned with a slightly oversized pivot. Now I won’t mind the extra upkeep on the edge of the CRKT and even though it’s pinned and not one piece I think this’ll be a great edc carry for anyone. I’ll come back and let you know what I think of it after I play with it awhile.

In the mean time these pictures will have to do.

bqIOgYT.jpg
sAtyOP4.jpg
Q3ev2hO.jpg
Frl5YLC.jpg
wBif53x.jpg
B3Bk1AB.jpg

Here it is next to a Plain Jane 25 for size comparison

aOQvYNL.jpg

And here it is performing it's first EDC task, makin' lunch, Turkey and cheese with creamed cabbage on Italian bread with a drill pickle.

QeSO2OH.jpg

One last comment/observation typical of CRKT, outta the box sharpness was shaving sharp, the true test is how long the edge lasts. Most likely I'll put a more obtuse angle on it so it has a more durable edge. For the money I think it was a great deal and I'm just happy as a clam I could feel it in my pocket again. :)

Over 30 Years ago I went to my first big knife show. It was either ECCKS or NYCKS. I forget which I just remember I had about $600 to spend and no idea what to expect.

First off I met several key people in the industry, Sal Glesser,(bought my first Spyderco the C01 Worker. I remember tellin' him he had a funny lookin’ knife there. Ugly even and wished him luck. Whatever happened to Sal and his lumpy knife with the hole in the blade?

uhstFlO.jpg

I met several custom makers, a neighbor and my favorite fixed blade maker Bud Nealy was first. I bought an Aikuchi 1 of 7 he made for the show. Still have and carry it as a last ditch backup for my pistol. The man makes one of the most versatile sheath systems and a knife I trust my life with.

ojOwZOH.jpg

Then I met Pat and Wes Crawford, makers of my second custom knife and first custom folder. The knife was the one AG Russel modeled his K87 after, which I bought also later on as a cheaper version of Pat’s knife.

The frame and back spring on the Crawford Framelock was machined from a single piece of SS and the ATS 34 blade at the time was considered to be state of the art.

Even though I bought the almost identical AG Russell K87 I couldn’t put down the Crawford and it became my EDC for nearly 30 years. It was so slim it slid comfortably into my wallet. It was a 3.75” blade which gave it a little reach making it a handful but oh so light and slender. It was the perfect side kick for me and I used the heck out of it................

Sorry I don't have any pics of the Crawford but it had the same shape blade and handle only 15-20% bigger than the CRKT

AG Russell K87 One hand opener Framelock (Not my knife but an incredible duplicate ;) )

KLC11554_1.jpg

Till that fateful day I lost my wallet with two custom Crawfords and a little folder with a Stainless Damascus blade I’d won from the first GAW I entered. I lost a lot that day with my wallet. Mostly I figured I’d never be able to replace the Crawford. I even bought 2 more AG Russell’s K87s that I promptly gave away.

I lost my wallet with the knives almost 5 years ago around this time of year. 3 Days ago I saw a thread here with the CRKT Crawford

Now I know it’s not in the same league as a $300 custom Crawford and the 8Cr14MoV steel isn’t ATS34 but hey I only paid $20 including S&H.

I got the knife in 2 days and just took it out for pics. As soon as I held it in my hands again I had an ear to ear grin that couldn’t be wiped off.

The handle is made of three pieces and double pinned with a slightly oversized pivot. Now I won’t mind the extra upkeep on the edge of the CRKT and even though it’s pinned and not one piece I think this’ll be a great edc carry for anyone. I’ll come back and let you know what I think of it after I play with it awhile.

bqIOgYT.jpg
sAtyOP4.jpg
Q3ev2hO.jpg
Frl5YLC.jpg
wBif53x.jpg
B3Bk1AB.jpg

aOQvYNL.jpg

And here it is performing it's first EDC task, makin' lunch, Turkey and cheese with creamed cabbage on Italian bread with a drill pickle.

QeSO2OH.jpg

One last comment/observation typical of CRKT, outta the box sharpness was shaving sharp, the true test is how long the edge lasts. Most likely I'll put a more obtuse angle on it so it has a more durable edge. For the money I think it was a great deal and I'm just happy as a clam I could feel it in my pocket again. :)
Every once in a while one of those "Crawford Lock" (as he calls it :)) folders crosses the exchange. I'm always tempted.

It's a beautiful folder!.. I saw it in a video and was love at first sight... The perfect gentleman folder. BTW the thread you saw was mine.. just a question, the lock back was a design from Crawford or Russell?.. best regards from Venezuela..

It's a beautiful folder!.. I saw it in a video and was love at first sight... The perfect gentleman folder. BTW the thread you saw was mine.. just a question, the lock back was a design from Crawford or Russell?.. best regards from Venezuela..
There's a long story there but from what I've heard, Crawford desiged it and never patented it. Russel saw it and copied it.

The design was by Crawford and IIRC Russell asked to use the design and offered to pay a licencing fee, I may be wrong on the ammounts but Russell wrote a check for $5,000 and sent it to Crawford, Crawford sat on the check for a while and eventually cashed it meaning in Russell's eyes Crawford accepted the check and this gave Russell the ok he needed to mass produce the unique locking mechanism. Crrawford has always stated he was in knives to make knives and had no desire to do all the legal wrangling needed to patent the lock. He basically gave the design to the industry for free.

The design was by Crawford and IIRC Russell asked to use the design and offered to pay a licencing fee, I may be wrong on the ammounts but Russell wrote a check for $5,000 and sent it to Crawford, Crawford sat on the check for a while and eventually cashed it meaning in Russell's eyes Crawford accepted the check and this gave Russell the ok he needed to mass produce the unique locking mechanism. Crrawford has always stated he was in knives to make knives and had no desire to do all the legal wrangling needed to patent the lock. He basically gave the design to the industry for free.
It was not as friendly as that. :)

uhstFlO.jpg

ojOwZOH.jpg

KLC11554_1.jpg

bqIOgYT.jpg
sAtyOP4.jpg
Q3ev2hO.jpg
Frl5YLC.jpg
wBif53x.jpg
B3Bk1AB.jpg

aOQvYNL.jpg

QeSO2OH.jpg

Looks awesome! How does it compare to the AG Russell production versions? Also I don’t see the pins that hold the knife together? What are the three pieces, scale, scale and lockbar?

That blade looks like it is ground razor thin at the tip. Looks like it would be a mean cutter.

Congradulations and enjoy the knife. Some models just speak to us. In a way the custom version was one of the first integral folders.

It’s good to see that some things never go out of style.
And what a great reminder that in today’s market of tactical,mall ninja, gimmick advertising ,that simplicity is still going strong.

It was not as friendly as that. :)
I'm always ready to be corrected, did I get the basic part right? my problem is I like to fill in the gaps but I strive for accuracy. If I'm wrong about anything or off I would appreciate the correction if you have it. :)

I'm always ready to be corrected, did I get the basic part right? my problem is I like to fill in the gaps but I strive for accuracy. If I'm wrong about anything or off I would appreciate the correction if you have it. :)
Well, the story I have heard but can't substantiate is that Russell saw the knife at a show and asked about it. Crawford told him that he had invented this new lock and didn't think it was patentable (because it's basically an integral lockback). Russell goes back and makes his own version which he patents. When Crawford finds out, he gets pissed. Russell sends him a check which, as you said, Crawford sits on and then eventually cashes without comment but never really gets over it.

That's the gossip. :)

Looks awesome! How does it compare to the AG Russell production versions? Also I don’t see the pins that hold the knife together? What are the three pieces, scale, scale and lockbar?

That blade looks like it is ground razor thin at the tip. Looks like it would be a mean cutter.

Congradulations and enjoy the knife. Some models just speak to us. In a way the custom version was one of the first integral folders.

The K87 was was the first and only comparable version to Crawfoeds, I don't recall the blade steel on the Russel but mine took a great edge and held it a long time. The first K87 didn't have a pocket clip, I ruined 3 drill bits and 3 taps putting my own clip on. I always wanted to put a set of scales on mine, I wouldn't think of dillin' holes in the Crawford but the Russell was a different story. I even had a set of Pearl handgrips for a .25 cal pistol that I wanted to put on the Russell. At the time I had access to a full machine shop, it woulda been easier but I used what I had.

The construction on the CRKT is a sandwich style with the pins in the rear part of the handle right in front of the lanyard hole. They're polished so smooth you have to if you look just right you can catch them in the bright light.

At the time I bought it it was my answer to the Sebenza, if I was gonna spend $350 I wanted a custom.I'd like to think I've gotten smarter in my old age. It has a high hollow grind with a wicked needle point. I wouldn't do any prying with that tip but it is razor sharp and like the tip of a rapier, almost dagger like so I'd be careful and not do much prying, if any with it.Although there is a certain amount of joy I get from thrusting and pushing the point through different kinds of materials. It's pointy like the Cold Steel Ti-Lite. It's a mean, accurate slicer right outta the box and it's so simple it's fun and it's Mercator slim too. :) As of now I'd recommend buying one, hell I spend more at McDonald's for 2 people than on this knife. I think it'll be a winner, than again I'm a little biased ;) .

The K87 was was the first and only comparable version to Crawfoeds, I don't recall the blade steel on the Russel but mine took a great edge and held it a long time. The first K87 didn't have a pocket clip, I ruined 3 drill bits and 3 taps putting my own clip on. I always wanted to put a set of scales on mine, I wouldn't think of dillin' holes in the Crawford but the Russell was a different story. I even had a set of Pearl handgrips for a .25 cal pistol that I wanted to put on the Russell. At the time I had access to a full machine shop, it woulda been easier but I used what I had.

The construction on the CRKT is a sandwich style with the pins in the rear part of the handle right in front of the lanyard hole. They're polished so smooth you have to if you look just right you can catch them in the bright light.

At the time I bought it it was my answer to the Sebenza, if I was gonna spend $350 I wanted a custom.I'd like to think I've gotten smarter in my old age. It has a high hollow grind with a wicked needle point. I wouldn't do any prying with that tip but it is razor sharp and like the tip of a rapier, almost dagger like so I'd be careful and not do much prying, if any with it.Although there is a certain amount of joy I get from thrusting and pushing the point through different kinds of materials. It's pointy like the Cold Steel Ti-Lite. It's a mean, accurate slicer right outta the box and it's so simple it's fun and it's Mercator slim too. :) As of now I'd recommend buying one, hell I spend more at McDonald's for 2 people than on this knife. I think it'll be a winner, than again I'm a little biased ;) .

Thinness is a major turn on for me in knife design these days. A knife that hogs the pocket has become abit of a bother to me. Obviously thin knives tend to be less ergonomic in hand but more pocket friendly. Well folding knives tend to spend most their life in my pocket.

Have you ever thought of giving the AG Russell K12 a whirl?
k12-9crgr_1.jpg

k12-9crgr-co-wb.jpg

Yea now that I think back on it that does sound like what I'd read. I was being polite, I've met Russell many times and he's always afforded me a mutual respect which I tend to return in kind. I do appreciate the info and in the future ammend my comments accordingly.

Awesome story Ted! The Crawford Leopard is one of my favorite designs ever!

I had a feather lite which I passed on to a friend who promptly locked it away because apparently if I give him a knife it must be because in 5-10 years it'll be worth a fortune. How about I just wanna pass a good knife onto a friend. Certainly a better knife than the Frost Cutlery knife he carries. I may have to check out his site.

Well, the story I have heard but can't substantiate is that Russell saw the knife at a show and asked about it. Crawford told him that he had invented this new lock and didn't think it was patentable (because it's basically an integral lockback). Russell goes back and makes his own version which he patents. When Crawford finds out, he gets pissed. Russell sends him a check which, as you said, Crawford sits on and then eventually cashes without comment but never really gets over it.

That's the gossip. :)

That's about what I've been told by more than one dealer or maker at knife shows in disparate parts of the country. One exception in the story I've been told is AG changed the design just enough (thumb studs I think) and was smarter about the patent and quick so Pat couldn't sue him for taking his lock design. It was brought up on his subforum on the old Knifeforums, AG said he slightly modified the design making it his but he said Pat cashing the check ended the dispute, others have said Pat needed the money... In his current catalog, it states it's their best selling knife. He gives no credit to Pat, but it's called a Crawford lock by some.

Pat brought this design out with CRKT as soon as AG lost patent control. A Taiwanese company made a clone with Aus6 that sold by mail order in magazine ads, a little turnabout...I have one of those. Some day I hope to get the real deal, but this CRKT is on my list too. Glad to hear it's a good knife.

The edge should hold, I think CRKT takes it to at least 58 Rc. Is it comfortable to use?

One exception in the story I've been told is AG changed the design just enough (thumb studs I think) and was smarter about the patent and quick so Pat couldn't sue him for taking his lock design.
Yes, you're right, I heard that too.

Some day I hope to get the real deal, but this CRKT is on my list too. Glad to hear it's a good knife.

The edge should hold, I think CRKT takes it to at least 58 Rc. Is it comfortable to use?

The edges dig in a little but I'll take a stone to it to break the edge. The clip helps to give your fingers something to snuggle into. The Crawford had a longer blade to handle ratio. I remember thinking at the time that Crawford fit biggest blade in the smallest handle. Also the blade on my Crawford was a clip vs drop point, more like a mini Bowie. The tumbled finish was much nicer than CRKT's surface grinder finish. Still all in all it's a well made easily concealable knife for less than a dinner for 2 at Applebee's

Ted, you have a nice way of telling a story of the things you love...

Thanks, my daughter tells me all the time to get to the point. She says that I'm the only person she knows that can tell 2 minute story in an hour and a half. I do like to talk and ramble. This place gives me a place to do that and talk about knives. ;)

Back