Crosscut Saw Thread

I was stoked to discover this today! I can’t believe I didn’t see it before but on the blade for the Folding Saw Machine, there is another stamp on the opposite side of the blade!?!

It has the Atkins Always Ahead AAA etching on one side and on the other side is a Folding Saw Machine Co. etching!!

It has what I assume are one of these drawings from the catalog and the words:
The Folding Saw Machine Co.
Sole Manufacturers
Chicago, I’ll.​

It also look like there is something else off to the side of it...?
57-E3-AB50-9-C1-C-41-CB-A7-B1-A1-BF510968-C9.jpg

86-BDDFEF-9-D52-4-B5-D-BE4-E-7291-B29-AA8-EA.jpg

92-B90927-B390-41-ED-9-EC3-F7-B3-E30-B5-D81.jpg

DFEF68-BC-06-A2-477-D-97-A9-6-C9-BEBABFC0-F.jpg

Last edited:
I was stoked to discover this today! I can’t believe I didn’t see it before but on the blade for the Folding Saw Machine, there is another stamp on the opposite side of the blade!?!

It has the Atkins Always Ahead AAA etching on one side and on the other side is a Folding Saw Machine Co. etching!!

It has what I assume are one of these drawings from the catalog and the words:
The Folding Saw Machine Co.
Sole Manufacturers
Chicago, I’ll.​

It also look like there is something else off to the side of it...?
57-E3-AB50-9-C1-C-41-CB-A7-B1-A1-BF510968-C9.jpg

86-BDDFEF-9-D52-4-B5-D-BE4-E-7291-B29-AA8-EA.jpg

92-B90927-B390-41-ED-9-EC3-F7-B3-E30-B5-D81.jpg

DFEF68-BC-06-A2-477-D-97-A9-6-C9-BEBABFC0-F.jpg
Wow that is AWESOME! What a great feeling when you find an "extra" like that. It couldn't be in better hands itvd.

I've done a little helper handle work. This one was my first large saw. Champion tooth Disston. The original handle had a 1871-74 brass medallion in it. (I think anyway) 15582821588179040488536417720171.jpg I stole a handle off another Disston handsaw and modified it for use on this. That's why it looks funny! But I did that a long time ago. It's the helper handle I recently made work. This saw steel is so damn hard. I ruined 6, count them SIX, drill bits to get this one small hole! (Above and to the left)
AlWa5q2.jpg
Then I filed grooves in the washers and I just offset them upon installation. I think this handle is for a smaller saw but it's very strong and has held up to twenty cuts at least so far.
u7zemvS.jpg

It's not very pretty but first attempts rarely are. For me anyway. I've got another handle project I just finished so I'll upload that a little later. Thanks for checking it out!
XxJ6JCr.jpg

Told you it looked funny... It works well though!

The resin won't be dry for another 24 hours or so. Again not perfect but I wanted to use items I had here instead of buying everything. That Disston collapsible saw only had one handle so I made another set. My starting point;
DKDz0AP.jpg
h4KJHkD.jpg

In this photo I already tapped and glued the 5/16" fine thread into the wooden handle. I had to use that due to the threads in the handle with the steel cap. Here I was filing down the copper cap for this handle.
uXhwOdd.jpg

Here it is ready for epoxy resin;
G24zmaV.jpg

And all resined up and ready for use!
Yd1fYmk.jpg

I obviously could've made a better match but not with items I had on hand. So here's the set!
wqnbCBV.jpg

I used 4 washers filed down to fit in the hole as a spacer.
ky4DNmm.jpg
c1ojJpb.jpg
nvhlv8e.jpg

Next good day I'll try it out. Lightly of course! Have a great afternoon all!

The resin won't be dry for another 24 hours or so. Again not perfect but I wanted to use items I had here instead of buying everything. That Disston collapsible saw only had one handle so I made another set. My starting point;
DKDz0AP.jpg
h4KJHkD.jpg

In this photo I already tapped and glued the 5/16" fine thread into the wooden handle. I had to use that due to the threads in the handle with the steel cap. Here I was filing down the copper cap for this handle.
uXhwOdd.jpg

G24zmaV.jpg

Yd1fYmk.jpg

I obviously could've made a better match but not with items I had on hand. So here's the set!
wqnbCBV.jpg

ky4DNmm.jpg
c1ojJpb.jpg
nvhlv8e.jpg

Great work! I’m mightily impressed.

DKDz0AP.jpg
h4KJHkD.jpg

uXhwOdd.jpg

G24zmaV.jpg

Yd1fYmk.jpg

wqnbCBV.jpg

ky4DNmm.jpg
c1ojJpb.jpg
nvhlv8e.jpg

Yankee Josh, great work on the ingenious handle fabrication!

This was the only saw I saw this weekend:
46-E1-C43-E-857-C-4771-BCF2-B50575-D16724.jpg

There is a store near my girlfriend's house. It's an antique store. In that store there is a crosscut saw hanging over the door. It's a perforated lance, and looks to have never been filed or used. Large, beautiful gullets with crisp edges, cutters sharper than Don Rickles ever was, and rakers more leggy than Jessica Rabbit.

There is an image on this saw. I ask about it every time I'm in the store. You see, this saw is not for sale. It's a very special saw. It was her grandfather's saw, the woman who owns it tells me. That he ran a sawmill many years ago. Every time I hear that story, and she never remembers having told it, I begin to froth at the mouth.

And the image, the image on the saw that haunts me so... The image that I can not put out of my head... A lovely, Robert Kincaid looking, paint by the numbers looking, bucolic country scene painted by the lady herself.

NOT FOR SALE. Tell your aunts, tell your moms, tell your wives and your children and your mistresses, and definitely tell your grandmothers: Don't paint on saws.

Paint faces, paint fences
Paint houses and walls.
Paint airplanes, paint trucks
Paint billboards and all.

Paint all things lovely
That will leave you in awe.
But please don't be the person
Who would ever paint a saw.

End the madness, people.

There is a store near my girlfriend's house. It's an antique store. In that store there is a crosscut saw hanging over the door. It's a perforated lance, and looks to have never been filed or used. Large, beautiful gullets with crisp edges, cutters sharper than Don Rickles ever was, and rakers more leggy than Jessica Rabbit.

There is an image on this saw. I ask about it every time I'm in the store. You see, this saw is not for sale. It's a very special saw. It was her grandfather's saw, the woman who owns it tells me. That he ran a sawmill many years ago. Every time I hear that story, and she never remembers having told it, I begin to froth at the mouth.

And the image, the image on the saw that haunts me so... The image that I can not put out of my head... A lovely, Robert Kincaid looking, paint by the numbers looking, bucolic country scene painted by the lady herself.

NOT FOR SALE. Tell your aunts, tell your moms, tell your wives and your children and your mistresses, and definitely tell your grandmothers: Don't paint on saws.

Paint faces, paint fences
Paint houses and walls.
Paint airplanes, paint trucks
Paint billboards and all.

Paint all things lovely
That will leave you in awe.
But please don't be the person
Who would ever paint a saw.

End the madness, people.
Great advice, well stated!
If you are secussful in pruchasing a saw that has been painted....... in my experience,
it's best not to mention that you plan to strip the pain, tune up the saw, and put it back to work!

Great advice, well stated!
If you are secussful in pruchasing a saw that has been painted....... in my experience,
it's best not to mention that you plan to strip the pain, tune up the saw, and put it back to work!

I made the mistake of talking tactfully instead of tactically. I had told her, "oh that's so nice, and those saws are so cool. In fact I collect them, do you have anymore," etc. In retrospect I should have dropped the politely fishing for more act, and pretended to love the painting sooooooooo much I just had to have it.

From now on I "have a cabin that absolutely needs that saw, ahem I mean painting, on the wall." Lol.

Hmmm, maybe I can send a proxy who's a absolutely fooored by the art :cool:

Given a choice between painted saw or one hanging in a shed rusting, I'll take the painted one any day. Paint protects the saw and can be removed at anytime to make a good saw. Cut up metal art saws are lost and gone forever. There is no reason to cut up a serviceable saw when they can just as easily start with a blank section of sheet metal and end up with the same result.
169222514.B1lbV5So.Z99A9982a.jpg

A well protected painted Simonds 520

169222569.qmfvnZ7S.Z99A9981a.jpg

A destroyed saw

Excellent points! Of course my problem in this instance is the painting takes the saw off the table, but so it goes.

I'll spare you all bad poetry (oh noetry) about "it's okay to paint your saw, just strip it if it's needed at all." Lol.

I suppose the quandary is the attachment to the art. It's not my taste, but ultimately whomever owns the saw gets to make the decisions! I simply have an ongoing case of saw envy. I'll try to remember to snap a pic of it next time I'm in. So we can all enjoy the art.

(I do apologize if my disdain for the style upsets anyone's own sense of aesthetic. It's all meant in good humor!)

Given a choice between painted saw or one hanging in a shed rusting, I'll take the painted one any day. Paint protects the saw and can be removed at anytime to make a good saw. Cut up metal art saws are lost and gone forever. There is no reason to cut up a serviceable saw when they can just as easily start with a blank section of sheet metal and end up with the same result.
169222514.B1lbV5So.Z99A9982a.jpg

A well protected painted Simonds 520

169222569.qmfvnZ7S.Z99A9981a.jpg

A destroyed saw
oh wow jim thanks i didnt know it was possible to not like over priced antique store art saws even more

What saw models/manufactures are best suited for transporting them bent around backpack (horseshoe shape)? Can you bend that way one man saw...

I wouldn't bend any of my saws that way, regardless of the style or manufacturer. One man saws are too short to even try that trick. This saw's a bit long for a back strap, but it let's me have my hands free. A four-footer would be right at home.

We absolutely never bend ours. If on foot, we pack over the shoulder, usually with a lattice cap guard. The guard is light, and helps stiffen the saw.

On mules, I pack shorter saws easy enough without bending them. We have plywood cases to pack the long ones in, I put them on top long ways, as I'd pack lumber. It takes a little training.

But we don't bend them, just not worth the risk, at the age that good saws are. Only so many bends in a piece of steel before it breaks.
It did used to be the common way.

Back