Crowd Dev? New Platen design

View attachment 825416 View attachment 825417
Just steel. I do not like the ceramic, my body seems to attract a high amount of static electricity.
You can try this .Cooler is from PC processor, I try for test to grind long time with very worn belt and thick steel and after that I can still hold with hand platen /HSS/ :)
iiXZNag.jpg

Last edited:
I like the design looks good. I need a new platen mine is only 6" and the brackets that hold the platen on the left side really limit the use of a file guide.

I like the design looks good. I need a new platen mine is only 6" and the brackets that hold the platen on the left side really limit the use of a file guide.
On my new belt grinder I work now , I will use T profile platen .................problem solved ;)

Last edited:
Teflon is too soft and will dish out fast. If you want high tech and wear resistance, put a plate of carbide on the platen.

Has anyone suggested a small wheel setup on top and longer platen to do tip down integral grinding? :D

I had the idea of making a platen with an integral wheel on top that would have the same interface. You would just loop your belt under the top wheel to use it. But I haven't drawn anything up.

Has anyone suggested a small wheel setup on top and longer platen to do tip down integral grinding? :D

That was part of the original idea more or less, but not with a small wheel. Nathan's end radius platens were designed for that without the wheel.
So you should be able to drop the belt off the top pulley, pull the platen forward a bit, and go to work on the integral, or even just a plunge, assuming you have the end radius platen.

The radius end platens build up heat and bog, especially on the smaller radius. I have to use lubricant for heavy grit belts and with light belts, sometimes it just don't work at all.

What about a tool rest mount?
The one drawback on my Esteem grinder is lack of a second tool arm slot, so I am stuck bolting/unbolting a tool rest to my tool arm. Not good.
My primary need is for a square (90 deg) tool rest that comes off/on quickly and easily.
If the mount was well designed it might provide for other functionality as well.

Thoughts?

I've started laying out my frame, and I find that my centers on the wheels have to be 11.3 inches apart to accommodate Nathan's extra long 'lengthwise grinding" platen (10 inch platen).
Is that a fit on your frame John?

No worries. I find due to the Esteem tool arm mount position I've had to re-design the entire layout from scratch. Not to say this conversation hasn't been helpful. It has been a really great discussion.
My tool arm mount is in the upper third of the frame, so everything had to move from your drawing.
Your drawing looks great btw. That one should probably work for many other grinders.
The cool think about this whole thread is that the concepts were fleshed out, and anyone should be able to make their own based on all these good ideas. :)

I'm going with a single rod frame mount to the tool arm. Tool arm drilled and slotted, and bolt to tighten on the rod to fix or swivel the frame. Same as the Esteem.
Platen rods will be a bit wider than the diagram above. Just the way it worked out.
Platen rod mounting block will be longer, obviously, and probably two locking leavers.
It will also have a frame big enough for the longer 'lengthwise' grinding platen, which I personally want due to work on longer culinary knives.

I am going to start my prototype build and will post my progress.

I also got to thinking. My radius platen is like 8 inches long, but I only use about 4.5 inches of it. If I make my own, I might shorten them considerably. Which means I have to think hard about the platen mounting plate.

My 3d skills are lacking a bit, but this is what I have for my Esteem grinder setup. Any glaring flaws?

BrockRedesignedPlatenAssembly1.jpg

You can try this .Cooler is from PC processor, I try for test to grind long time with very worn belt and thick steel and after that I can still hold with hand platen /HSS/ :)
iiXZNag.jpg
hi, is it possible to make concave bevels (10.14 inch pulleys) with this instrument?

hi, is it possible to make concave bevels (10.14 inch pulleys) with this instrument?
If you think on my grinder , no . It is not designed for that .Concave /hollow grind ??/ can be done on different Dia . contact wheel . Depends what you want ? I never done hollow grind but I think that is easy to find what size wheel you need , just take one fixed point divider and draw different dia. circle line on sketch from /accurate dimensions /cross section of the future blade and see which is good dia. ;)

Last edited:
What about a tool rest mount?
The one drawback on my Esteem grinder is lack of a second tool arm slot, so I am stuck bolting/unbolting a tool rest to my tool arm. Not good.
My primary need is for a square (90 deg) tool rest that comes off/on quickly and easily.
If the mount was well designed it might provide for other functionality as well.

Thoughts?
Are you wanting to mount the rest directly to the platen? Or a mount on the arm? I have a esteem and a DD work rest, and although I have a rest mounting bracket on the tool arm, I'm pretty sure I could mount the rest directly to the platen if I was so inclined.

Last edited:
Are you wanting to mount the rest directly to the platen? Or a mount on the arm? I have a esteem and a DD work rest, and although I have a rest mounting bracket on the tool arm, I'm pretty sure I could mount the rest directly to the platen if I was so inclined.

I have been thinking about mounting directly to the platen for just a simple 90 deg rest. Maybe even a tilting one if that can work out.
What is a DD work rest?

Donald Dentz makes really nice custom workrests. He has an ebay store and he is on instagram. Here is the one he made for my Esteem. The mount on the tool arm covers it up, but the platen has 2 tapped holes in about the same spot that I have the rest bolted to the mount, so I'm pretty sure It could remove the mount and bolt directly to the platen.
Now if I were to cut the back end off of the channel on the tool rest arm so it was open on the back end, you could quickly loosen the 2 bolts just enough to remove the rest with out completely removing the bolts.
DD Rest.jpg Rest2.jpg

Back