Crowd Dev? New Platen design

After using years the carroussel I posted above, I'm finishing the design of this new one, I removed one wheel because I didn't use much the short segment of the triangle, I mostly use the platen, the other side with no platten for handles and then the rubber wheel, so this new one is the synthesis of what I use.
The actual platten is screwed to its base, so if you need to re surface it, you just take a spare and keep going. I surface them both sides.

POWYeXB.jpg

Pablo

Pablo, that looks very straightforward and effective. That big wheel on the bottom helps reduce the need for a jutting (weak) bottom wheel support on the frame. I like that idea.
It wouldn't take much to add a quick remove platen rod to that. I might borrow some ideas from that if you don't mind sir?

I also found this interesting design this morning. These guys have some interesting grinders as well.

mach000019.jpg

http://www.herbst.co.za/index.php/products-services/machines/deluxe-platten

I might borrow some ideas from that if you don't mind sir?

Posted it so it can be used by someone else too, I don't have time for copyrights :)
With this configuration you don't need a quick remove platen, you just flip the carrousel 180 degrees and voila! No platen

Pablo

Just an update, I'm cutting parts for both my grinder and platen design this week. I'll build one, see how it goes together then make e-files available.
Cool! I'd love to see more sketches of your new grinder design!

So I have a HF mini-mill. How nervous should I be about drilling and tapping this frame? If I clamp it to the table, should be good, right?
I think it is trammed correctly.

BrockRedesignedPlatenAssembly3.jpeg BrockRedesignedPlatenAssembly2.jpg

I would tram it again, and tap it while mounted in the mill. If your precision is totally off, I would drill through and mount with a nyloc. It’s easier to get straight.

Making some progress on my build. This is kind of fun! Never built a tool before.
I've got 3/4 rod to mount the platen. Platen backer will likely be 4.5mm AEBL piece, which I'll probably slot so I don't have to be too concerned about lining up the rod bolts.
Using countersunk bolts for the rods.
I've ordered my 2 inch and 4 inch rubber contact wheels and axles. Should have before the weekend I think.
*The platen mount is on the wrong side in this pic. I've still to drill and mount it up, I just wanted to get a feel for it's fit.

I might be grinding on this thing by Saturday! :)

WIP-1.jpg

OK, first live test. This thing works! I slipped the belt on and didn't even have to adjust tracking. It was perfect!
I still have to shim the platen mount to bring it in line with the wheels.
4 inch on the bottom (thanks Pablo!) and 2 inch on top. Both rubber. Nice, I love this already.

I'm on round two after talking to folks and considering some other ideas and options.
This one shows mounts for 2, 4, and 5 inch wheels on either the top or the bottom.
I am cutting one of these out this week, but am also getting a quote for some waterjet cutting. :)

PlatenFrame v5.3 FrameOnly3.jpg

So this went into brief production. No idea if Brett is still making them. I haven't heard. He made one change that isn't the best. I would fix that.
I love this design though. Over the last year it has proven to be very useful to me in my grinding work. I would never go back to the old style for sure.
The primary advantages are:
1. It isn't a pain in the behind to adjust your platen face in or out. It is very easy to make the platen slightly proud, or flush again.
2. It is very easy to switch between flat, radiused, or any other platen you might need at the moment.
3. It has good clearance on either side to grind shoulders and whatnot.
4. The various rubber wheel sizes makes it very handy for 2, 3, 4, or 5 inch wheel radius grinding in shaping knives and handles.

It can stand to have a few minor improvements, which I would do. Probably the biggest would be a great tool rest option.
Steel plate makes it heavy. Aluminum I think will be much better.
Accommodating a chiller for the platens could be easier.

So I wanted to ask everyone. Is there interest in this tool? Like serious "I want to buy one" interest?
Brett was pricing them about $425 or so. That could increase a bit with some options as above.

brockp-1.jpg
brockp-2.jpg
brockp-3.jpg

Back