Cruwear Millie vs. S30v

Just curious if anyone has used their cruwear enough to have an opinion about how it stacks up against the standard s30v version.

Specifically I'm curious about ease of sharpening and edge retention. Also would like to know how fine of an edge it will take compared to s30v. Any noticeable difference?

Last edited:
I'm in for some answers.
Just got my Cruwear Millie and the Millie being IMO a working knife, found S30V to be more than serviceable in an affordable package.
I'm about to sit down and get to sharpening the Cruwear so I'll at least chime in on that when I'm done.

The only comparison I've seen was in russian, and it was against CPM D2. Cruwear blew D2 out of the water cutting some thick twine-like rope.
No word on sharpening yet, from what I can see.

Yeah, I followed that thread and the results Vegas blade got are about what I would have expected. I'm more curious to see how cruwear stacks up against s30v, and actually I'm not sure which will come out on top. I've been waiting to see some reviews of this steel and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone comparing cruwear with the standard Millie yet.

I'd say they are about equal when it comes to ease of sharpening and taking an edge. I've found them both relatively easy to sharpen and maintain and taken to 400-600 grit both CPM-Cruwear and S30V take on a nice aggressive, biting edge.

I haven't done any head to head cutting comparisons, but someone stated in a different thread that they felt that CPM Cruwear performs like a tougher S30V and I would say that is a pretty fair assessment.

Someone called?? :) I would love to do this test. Same exact format as my other one. One problem.....I don't have an S30V Millie. Yes, I know, I've spent my money on all the darn "Sprint Runs", and embarrassingly, don't have an S30V. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and buy the Digicam handled one I have always really wanted.

"Honey, I didn't want this silly knife, but the guys.....they needed me....I had to buy it. It's for science."

A little follow up as promised.
Took an hour or two to do a little profiling. 30 degrees using all 4 Sharpmaker rods then the same routine at 40 degrees. I also have 3 other ceramic systems that I use to fine tune the edge to my preference but always finish up on the Sharpmaker UF rods. They really make the edge pop for me.
The Cruwear was pretty simple and was comparable to S30V as far as removing material. No big noticeable differences (on my level) except for the burr. It was quite the SOB to knock it off. In the end a little stropping with compound did the trick but still just a wee bit of burr. After I use the blade for a while the burr will disappear with a few touchups anyway.
Razor sharp though, maybe a little more difficult than S30V but not enough to deter me in any way. If I had the time I'd do a comparison with my spare S30V lefty Millie in a cutting test.

yhyu.jpg

The only real difference I noticed is the edge is more stable on the CRUWEAR. It also seems to hold a finer edge longer, whereas the S30V gets to the "working" edge faster. I personally like this, because I do touch-ups on the SM and like to keep a finer edge. I have had many little problems with S30V edge stability, so this is a welcome difference. Also, like many others corrosion is a non-factor thus far. I like this as I am leaning towards some non-SS lately, and appreciate that it is still pretty low maintenance.

I mentioned this when the CPM-Cruwear Military's were first out, I proceeded to break down a shipping box and ran the edge right into one of those big staples! I know for a fact an S30V blade would have chipped slightly, but the CPM-Cruwear edge only rolled over. After cursing for a while (no one was home but me :D), I ran the blade down the SM, giving the side the roll favored about twice as many passes. It straightened right out! I can't feel it with my thumbnail, and I don't notice it much when slicing thin newsprint. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Where ya at Vegas blade? What, you haven't discussed our "science project" with the wife yet??

Where ya at Vegas blade? What, you haven't discussed our "science project" with the wife yet??

I've got a lefty Millie that has never been used I can let go of for a wife friendly price if he needs a test subject. ;)

Sorry guys. national Finals Rodeo is here in Vegas for 10 days. Been "otherwise taken" lately. Let me get through this and I will do the test. :)

Personally I don't see edge retention as the reason to buy a Cruwear Military over one in S30v, the attraction for me would be toughness.

Under many circumstances a tougher blade will hold it's edge longer. You can also grind it thinner increasing cutting ability :D

Back