Recommendation? CruWear or s30v on PM2?

HI everyone, first time posting here. I am in the market for a PM2 and i need a steel that will be tough, least prone to chipping. Ive been looking at s30v and CruWear cause i can get them fairly easily. I won't be abusing the knife, but I don't want to be babying it too much. s30v or CruWear? or something completely different?

Edit: forgot to ask what edge retention is like on CruWear and s30v

Last edited:
You won't go wrong with either, but personally, given the choice, I'd take CPM Cru-Wear. It's tough, holds a good edge and offers pretty good corrosion resistance. Very balanced steel.

HI everyone, first time posting here. I am in the market for a PM2 and i need a steel that will be tough, least prone to chipping. Ive been looking at s30v and CruWear cause i can get them fairly easily. I won't be abusing the knife, but I don't want to be babying it too much. s30v or CruWear? or something completely different?

Edit: forgot to ask what edge retention is like on CruWear and s30v
Assuming they have the same geometry S30V should have an edge retention advantage but will fall behind CPM-Cruwear in toughness.

Cruwear all the way. You can use the extra toughness and go thinner and get better wear resistance from geometry. Even at the same geometry the Cruwear really isn't going to have much less wear resistance in most things you will cut. The higher hardness and toughness just make it a better deal for very high performance slicing and with the right geometry makes better choppers. That is where the steel really shows it's worth. It has really good corrosion resistance for a non stainless high performance steel as well though the S30V/S35Vn will usually better it. The finish means a lot in that respect.

Just rolled the tip on my PM2 Cruwear piercing the tape on an Amazon box. Enough to catch a nail. Not happy :mad:

I’ve only had cruwear on a military and it was great. But all the Spydercos I’ve owned with s30v have been great. I currently have a PM2 in s30v and I love it!

lS284mv.jpg

I'll play the devil's advocate and say that trendy Cruwear is not any better than S30V. It's a good balanced steel, but S30V has been shown to have better corrosion resistance and edge retention (CATRA). You are looking at slightly more toughness and slightly easier sharpening with Cruwear, but S30V is pretty tough. So, if they were the same price, I'd say go with your preference, but if you are paying more for the Cruwear I'd say you are being duped.

Another vote for Cruwear over S30V if toughness is your concern. Both are solid steels in my experience, but S30V lived up to its chippy reputation.

I'll play the devil's advocate and say that trendy Cruwear is not any better than S30V. It's a good balanced steel, but S30V has been shown to have better corrosion resistance and edge retention (CATRA). You are looking at slightly more toughness and slightly easier sharpening with Cruwear, but S30V is pretty tough. So, if they were the same price, I'd say go with your preference, but if you are paying more for the Cruwear I'd say you are being duped.

The wear resistance puts it slightly above S35Vn and a bit below S30v in catra in Larrin's tests . That is like cutting sandpaper and higher carbide percentages sure count there. Those carbides also make steel less tough. It all depends on the balance of attributes you prefer. I don't value corrosion resistance much because of the way I maintain my knives with wax. They all end up shiny bright with scratches whether stainless or non stainless using my methods. I do like thin sharp edges so naturally I value strength and toughness highly.

Saying one knife should cost the same as the other or the person is getting duped seems strange to me. There are too many variables to the cost of Spydercos to make generalizations like that. The difference in cost is not likely due to different prices per pound between the two steels.

It’s subjective, but I’d argue the difference in toughness is more than slight.

thanks everyone for the input! so far, I think ill give CruWear a go. but if anyone else has other suggestions/opinions then fire away

If I was worried about “toughness” I would go with M4. But for everything you will need s30v will be fine.....I mean what are you really going to be cutting with an edc knife that would make s30v inferior?

They are both great steels.
For myself cruwear is a fantastic steel and beats the others out .
Cruwear takes a really nice edge easily and holds it.

I don't have any complaints on s30v, simply put cruwear has impressed me.

I've never understood the Cruwear hype in small folding Knives! S30V has been more then adequate for my EDC purposes, Though K390 and M4 would be my pick on a PM2. Cruwear is a fantastic steel on my Bark River Fixed blades though.

Back