CS's Special Edition - A list

Knifeworks.com has posted the Hold Out II and Recon 1 Tanto-Point in Coyote Brown on their new products section.

They took their own pictures of them too.

The Coyote Brown looks to me to be more like a lighter shade of tan than brown in them.

I think I will stick with the Olive Drab versions until I see a better picture that shows the true color of the Coyote Brown.

Knifeworks.com has posted the Hold Out II and Recon 1 Tanto-Point in Coyote Brown on their new products section.

They took their own pictures of them too.

The Coyote Brown looks to me to be more like a lighter shade of tan than brown in them.

I think I will stick with the Olive Drab versions until I see a better picture that shows the true color of the Coyote Brown.

Thanks for the info! Looks like they got good price too. Now it's all about deciding between brown and green...

Anyone got the OD green Hold Out II? Looking at the picture, the G-10 texture on OD green Hold Out II seems to be the finer/smoother type found on the new XHP Lawman and Black Talon II, but the one on the coyote brown Hold Out II seems to be of the old brick-like pattern? Anyone care to clarify? Personally prefer the new finer/smoother texture after getting a XHP Lawman and was thinking of getting the OD green Hold Out but can't find a review/info out there. Thanks in advance.

I received the knifecenter OD Recon 1 CP a couple of days ago. Fit and finish is excellent on my example. This is my first Triad lock that hasn't been a thumb buster right out of the box, it has a smooth and easy release. Also, picked up the 6" Ti-Lite with the new XHP steel. I really like the direction Cold Steel is heading with these upgrades. I've owned maybe 40 CS AUS8 blades through the years.

Last edited:
I have the Hold Out II in coyote brown with DLC coating on all metal parts. I also have the newest Hold Out I in black G10 and uncoated steel. Both have CTS-XHP blades, the sharpest out of the box I've ever seen, and I've owned hundreds of knives, including many Cold Steels and Spydercos. Both of the Hold Outs are superb knives. The Hold Out I has the thicker, rougher black G-10. The Hold Out II with coyote brown G10 has a smoother texture and apparently, based on a youtube video I've seen, thinner scales than the AUS-8 Hold Out II. Does this mean that all the olive-green and coyote-brown knives will have smoother G10, or just the relatively smaller ones? None of the mega-folders in olive or coyote have been released, as far as I know. I can't say what texture they'll have, but I eagerly await the new Talwar XL in CTS-XHP with either olive or coyote scales. ...Or both. ;)

Going from what the 2015 Cold Steel catalog states.

The 2015 American Lawman and the Hold Outs are supposed to have smoother G10 handle scales.

Everything else still has the extra-grippy, peel- ply G10 that they have been using so far.

I have picked up one of the special edition Hold Out IIs (4-inch blade) in Olive Drab and it has the smoother G10.

Hey TIZWIN, How do you find the color of that Hold Out II in Coyote Brown to be? Like I stated above, I found it to be too light going from Knifework's pictures. I was hoping for more of a dark brown.

I plan on picking up one of the special edition American Lawman in Coyote Brown that is a dealer exclusive too. That will be the only one in Coyote Brown for me. The rest will be the Olive Drab.

Going from what the 2015 Cold Steel catalog states.

The 2015 American Lawman and the Hold Outs are supposed to have smoother G10 handle scales.

Everything else still has the extra-grippy, peel- ply G10 that they have been using so far.

I have picked up one of the special edition Hold Out IIs (4-inch blade) in Olive Drab and it has the smoother G10.

Hey TIZWIN, How do you find the color of that Hold Out II in Coyote Brown to be? Like I stated above, I found it to be too light going from Knifework's pictures. I was hoping for more of a dark brown.

I plan on picking up one of the special edition American Lawman in Coyote Brown that is a dealer exclusive too. That will be the only one in Coyote Brown for me. The rest will be the Olive Drab.

I can confirm that the special edition Hold Out II OD Green/Brown has smooth handle. If you are hesitant about the brown, it's actually not as bright as it looked like on Knifework. It's more of a cardbox color, but more orange-ish. That's the best description my limited imagination has for now...

Any hint of the Hold Out I yet? Nobody says nothing about it. It seems there ain't gonna be any special HO I?
Anybody knows? Thanks!

Amazon has listings for the coyote Hold Out I and olive-green Hold Out I, but they are described as not yet in stock. The Hold Out I in standard black G10 and polished steel, with CTS-XHP blade, is available now. As for the coyote Hold Out II, I would say that the G10 on mine is neither light brown nor dark brown, but somewhere in-between. It is a VERY handsome knife.

Yes there are still several of these special editions that haven't become available yet. It really will be a "wait-and-see" until they are all released.

Be patient and keep checking back to the various dealers that have carried these so far.

I am considering getting a Hold Out II (4-inch blade) in the Coyote Brown. This way if the color is too light, at least the holes in the handle will help prevent too much dirt build-up.

The big problem with the lighter colored G10 handle scales is that once they get dirty, it shows up much worse than the standard black does.

I have FRN handled knives in different colors like the Spyderco Endura 4 with the full flat-ground blades. They don't get or show the dirt as badly as G10 handle scales do.

Last edited:
An update regarding the special-edition American Lawman in Coyote Brown from a dealer that isn't a member here:

Price has gone up by $20 to $110 and it is expected by early September 2015.

An update regarding the special-edition American Lawman in Coyote Brown from a dealer that isn't a member here:

Price has gone up by $20 to $110 and it is expected by early September 2015.

I contacted Cold Steel about this model as the picture looks like it is the older, more textured G10, but the representative told me all the new Lawman offerings will be the thinner, smoother G10 handles for anyone wondering. I may still have to pick one up.

I contacted Cold Steel about this model as the picture looks like it is the older, more textured G10, but the representative told me all the new Lawman offerings will be the thinner, smoother G10 handles for anyone wondering. I may still have to pick one up.

Yeah that was a bummer. I got the Brown Hold Out II based on the picture showing the thicker coarser G-10 and i got a thin one, so the Lawman should be the same too..

I recall reading the Cold Steel Rep on one of the forums or Facebook saying that the Hold Outs would have the smoother G10.

It shows the American Lawman in the 2015 catalog with the smoother G10 too, but not the Hold Outs.

Most of the dealers and especially the big river listings are using the stock Cold Steel-provided, computer-generated images.

So things will be a bit different in reality. Only Knifeworks and Knife Center have taken and posted their own pictures so far to my knowledge.

This thread needs a pic...

IMG_20150919_134415_edit_1442684672076_zpscyalsdgk.jpg

or two...

IMG_20150919_141040_edit_1442686312181_zpsfaqehdrk.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the pictures of the large Espada—that looks great!

I finally decided to pick up one of the Coyote Brown knives too. The price went back down to $90 on the American Lawman from a certain dealer that can't be mentioned here.

IKcM9zq.jpg

fzWAprd.jpg

Unreleased versions of the talwar I found on amazon. Love that dlc + coyote combo, I bet it will look good all dirtied up too.

Back