CTS XHP, how is it compared to S30V?

I'm interested in getting one of the Chapparal knives. It looks like at least the one with CF scales can be had in either S30V or CTS XHP.

I have some experience with S30V, but none with CTS XHP. How is it to sharpen? What RC does Spyderco run their CTS XHP at?

I've sharpened ZDP 189, and it was a real chore. Not looking for a steel like that again.

CTS-XHP is very much like D2. You would appreciate a diamond sharpener a great deal. It is nothing like the difficulty of ZDP-189 to sharpen, though.

I find it easier to sharpen than most S30V. The knives I have in XHP seem to take a toothy edge quite easily, but it's a bit more difficult to get a nice polished edge on them.

My dominoe with xhp took a nice work in edge on the sharp maker. My manix 2xl in s30v sharpened nicely to a mirror pish on my lanskey system. How ever it ate the synthetic stones up, so I quickly ordered the diamond stones. Spyderco s30 v is impressive.

I have a Chaparral 1 in XHP and a DF2 in ZDP. The XHP is easier to sharpen.

I believe all new/current production of the Chap 1 is in XHP.

I have a kitchen knife, a petty, in XHP. It holds an edge very well with no chipping or rolling when hitting bone.
I haven't had to sharpen it, other than stropping and this is after a few months of use. It is good stuff.
My Chaparral is in S30V. It is one of my EDCs, but I would be happy with XHP.

XHP has vanadium content that is similar to 440HX, better than 440C. S30V has more vanadium, more wear resistances, and also powder forged.

XHP is value steel that is better than 440C, with 16% of chromium. Sooo, I would still chose S30V.

I'm interested in getting one of the Chapparal knives. It looks like at least the one with CF scales can be had in either S30V or CTS XHP.

I have some experience with S30V, but none with CTS XHP. How is it to sharpen? What RC does Spyderco run their CTS XHP at?

I've sharpened ZDP 189, and it was a real chore. Not looking for a steel like that again.

They run both at pretty much the same HRC, about 59.

S30V depends on Vanadium carbides for its performance, XHP on chromium carbides. Vanadium carbides are smaller and harder than chromium, plus the CPM process evenly distributes them throughout. IDK if XHP is a powder steel, but it's basically a stainless D2.

XHP might chip less but S30V has greater wear resistance. I imagine XHP can get a finer edge because of the chromium but idk, never owned one. My Manix S30V is imo easy to sharpen, easier than 154cm.

Xhp has a lot better wear resistance than s30v. Im pretty sure spyderco runs theirs a lil to soft at around 61 hrc when it can be pushed to 64 to 65 hrc. Xhp is one of thise steels that doesn't look good on paper but it performs better than most stainless steels and its only beat out by the new super steels like m390, s110v, s90 and steels in that league. Imo xhp is a great steel and one of the best steels carpenter is making right now.

If I recall correctly, in JDavis882's cut test he said it "was comparable to CPM-M4" in edge retention. Which as we all know has quite excellent edge retention.

They run both at pretty much the same HRC, about 59.

S30V depends on Vanadium carbides for its performance, XHP on chromium carbides. Vanadium carbides are smaller and harder than chromium, plus the CPM process evenly distributes them throughout. IDK if XHP is a powder steel, but it's basically a stainless D2.

XHP might chip less but S30V has greater wear resistance. I imagine XHP can get a finer edge because of the chromium but idk, never owned one. My Manix S30V is imo easy to sharpen, easier than 154cm.

This. I like both but like how toothy s30v gets and can stay for a great working edge.

Last edited:
Xhp has a lot better wear resistance than s30v. Im pretty sure spyderco runs theirs a lil to soft at around 61 hrc when it can be pushed to 64 to 65 hrc. Xhp is one of thise steels that doesn't look good on paper but it performs better than most stainless steels and its only beat out by the new super steels like m390, s110v, s90 and steels in that league. Imo xhp is a great steel and one of the best steels carpenter is making right now.

You are wrong....

Were is all of this wear resistance coming from in XHP?

The wear resistant carbides aren't just going to magically drop out of the sky........

NOBODY (Production Companies) is going to push XHP anywhere near 64-65.... More like 60-62 max.....

What to start talking about customs?

The other steels can also be taken into the higher hardness ranges also so everything evens out.... Keeping things apples to apples....

The performance is like CPM D2.......

Last edited:

XHP is a good steel, easy to sharpen, takes a nice edge, don't need anything special to sharpen it...

Edge retention will be slightly less than S30V typically, but not all that noticeable in typical use.

Will be easier than ZDP-189 to sharpen.

Spyderco runs XHP in the 60-61 range.....

XHP is a good steel, easy to sharpen, takes a nice edge, don't need anything special to sharpen it...

Edge retention will be slightly less than S30V typically, but not all that noticeable in typical use.

Will be easier than ZDP-189 to sharpen.

Spyderco runs XHP in the 60-61 range.....

Listen to this man...He knows

S30V depends on vandium carbides whereas CTS-XHP depends on chromium carbides. Vandium carbides are harder, and their smaller size and more even distribution gives S30V higher toughness than CTS-XHP. And regarding edge retention, S30V beats out CTS-XHP on course edge retention, and neither are really optimized for polished edge retention. But this goes back to the old adage that there is no "better", only "different". And in all honestly, an end user will most likely not notice any difference.

I like XHP with a fine or polished edge. It holds that fine edge longer than S30V for me but S30V with a coarse edge will continue to cut longer, especially on abrasive media like dirty cardboard. XHP is also relatively easy to sharpen.

EDC5-20-12.jpg

I'm in the market for a chap too and I think I am going to go with the s30v because I have a buddy who has a native with that steel and he absolutely loves it

Carpenter CTS XHP Alloy
(Nominal Analysis)
1.60 C, 0.50 Mn, 0.40 Si, 16.00 Cr, 0.35 Ni, 0.80 Mo, 0.45 V, Bal. Fe

Air hardening, high carbon, high chromium, corrosion resistant alloy which can be described as either a high hardness Type 440C stainless steel or a corrosion resistant D2 tool steel. Possesses corrosion resistance equivalent to Type 440C stainless but can attain a maximum hardness of 64 HRC, approaching that of D2 tool steel. Now available in strip product form.

This proprietary alloy is in the Carpenter CTS™ family of alloys that offer superior edge retention and surface finish, an ability to be machined to a fine edge, and consistent heat-treatability from lot to lot. Consider CTS alloys for many blade applications including commercial food processing, paper processing, textile, packaging, recycling/refuse, kitchen knives, hand tools, scissors/shears, shaving razors, sport/hunting knives, ice skates, military/defense, law enforcement, salon blades and various surgical/medical applications.

Back