1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

CTS XHP, how is it compared to S30V?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by sogflash, Oct 12, 2014.

1. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    Thanks for that info Ankerson, didn't know that about the cost when it came to S30V vs. XHP.

Regarding the sharpening vs. edge retention - specifically regarding those two steels - I found the same thing.

2. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002

Try to explain that one to some people. LOL

3. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    You ain't lying. S30V has become the Rodney Dangerfield of steels in some crowds - it just can't get no respect.

Meanwhile XHP has been extremely popular in those same crowds, as if it's a supremely better steel. Kinda boggles the mind.

4. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    Nothing wrong with XHP really.

It just doesn't hold an edge as long as S30V in my experiences and I have EDCed both over the years.

Could be it's easier to sharpen for a lot of people and it takes a nice edge and it's really easy to get it there.

Personally I stay in the S35VN/S30V/ELMAX range for EDC and have no complaints.

But then a Military in S110V might kick my S30V Military out of my pocket.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  5. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    Right, nothing wrong with it, I just find it funny when S30V is downplayed.

I'm personally still waiting on a reasonably priced S90V Military to hit the market. Nearly $300 for the one available now is a bit steep for me.

6. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    S30V got a lot of bad press for various reasons, most of them really unfounded.

Then all of that got parroted and somehow became truth, yeah well.... :rolleyes:

There was some issues with proper heat treating in the early days for production blades, most of that was sorted out though over time.

7. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Jim, yes. I remember that noised around about S30V. Then later it mostly quieted down. The powder steels with vanadium need a different heat treating.
    Still, they are some of the best steels. Agreed, longer time sharpening = longer edge holding. As long as somethings not going on like a thick edge. DM

8. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    I think it got a bad rap as those of use who always had and used SIC stones didn't have any issues dealing with S30V, it's the ones with those old plain oil stones trying to sharpen it that had most of the issues.

That and using the factory edges, still even today we hear about problems with different steels only to find the person was using the out of box edge.

9. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I thought you were carrying the Manix2 s110v.

10. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    This thread has given me good information re cts-xhp steel. I m more interested in it since I found out about the Cold Steel upgrades to this steel in some of their models. I was able to handle some Cold Steel knives for the first time at my local B and M store and I was very impressed with the build quality and apparent strength. These new upgrades might make fine work knives. Hope the Cold Steel heat treatment is good.

11. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    Always end up going back to a Military. :)

12. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Jim, your insights cause me to have hope in these new comers to knives. DM

13. oXObsidianXo

oXObsidianXo

Dec 30, 2013
    Umm, not to say you're wrong Ankerson but I just checked your " Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope" and the CTS-XHP Military ranked in "Category 4" while S30V ranked in "Category 5". So correct me if I'm wrong but that means that CTS-XHP performed better than S30V. It should also be noted that according to your data in that thread they were both right around 60HRC. However, with a toothy edge, S30V did do better. 300 cuts vs 240 for XHP.

Here's the thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...based-on-Edge-Retention-cutting-5-8-quot-rope

I'm just curious why you would say that CTS-XHP performs worse than S30V when you have statistical evidence that says otherwise?

14. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    He gives much more credit if you will to the coarse edge section. Read the explanation on the first page more in depth. He explains it pretty well. XHP does do better with a polished edge imo.

15. oXObsidianXo

oXObsidianXo

Dec 30, 2013
    I did make note in my post that S30V performs better with a toothy edge.

16. ramasipsc

ramasipsc Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2014
    S90V Military good choice also. ;)

17. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    Right, Ankerson's pretty clear in his testing what exactly the scenario is. You can't just take a single test's results and then assume it's uniform across the board.