CTS XHP, how is it compared to S30V?

My sources show XHP cheaper than CPM S30V, CPM 3V, CPM 20CV, CPM 10V, CPM 154 and CPM M4.

Not exactly expensive compared to some others like S90V and S110V.

Lower alloy content, lower cost per pound, cheaper to produce, same price range as PD-1.

XHP is basically the stainless version of CPM D2.

It's a good steel for what it is, but not exactly a high end steel.

It can give one a pretty good idea though because if the wear resistance carbides aren't there, they just aren't there.

Easier to sharpen means less wear resistance and that equals less edge retention, you can't have it both ways, that's not the way it works.

Thanks for that info Ankerson, didn't know that about the cost when it came to S30V vs. XHP.

Regarding the sharpening vs. edge retention - specifically regarding those two steels - I found the same thing.

Thanks for that info Ankerson, didn't know that about the cost when it came to S30V vs. XHP.

Regarding the sharpening vs. edge retention - specifically regarding those two steels - I found the same thing.

Try to explain that one to some people. LOL

Try to explain that one to some people. LOL

You ain't lying. S30V has become the Rodney Dangerfield of steels in some crowds - it just can't get no respect.

Meanwhile XHP has been extremely popular in those same crowds, as if it's a supremely better steel. Kinda boggles the mind.

You ain't lying. S30V has become the Rodney Dangerfield of steels in some crowds - it just can't get no respect.

Meanwhile XHP has been extremely popular in those same crowds, as if it's a supremely better steel. Kinda boggles the mind.

Nothing wrong with XHP really.

It just doesn't hold an edge as long as S30V in my experiences and I have EDCed both over the years.

Could be it's easier to sharpen for a lot of people and it takes a nice edge and it's really easy to get it there.

Personally I stay in the S35VN/S30V/ELMAX range for EDC and have no complaints.

But then a Military in S110V might kick my S30V Military out of my pocket.

Last edited:

It just doesn't hold an edge as long as S30V in my experiences and I have EDCed both over the years.

Could be it's easier to sharpen for a lot of people and it takes a nice edge and it's really easy to get it there.

Right, nothing wrong with it, I just find it funny when S30V is downplayed.

I'm personally still waiting on a reasonably priced S90V Military to hit the market. Nearly $300 for the one available now is a bit steep for me.

Right, nothing wrong with it, I just find it funny when S30V is downplayed.

I'm personally still waiting on a reasonably priced S90V Military to hit the market. Nearly $300 for the one available now is a bit steep for me.

S30V got a lot of bad press for various reasons, most of them really unfounded.

Then all of that got parroted and somehow became truth, yeah well.... :rolleyes:

There was some issues with proper heat treating in the early days for production blades, most of that was sorted out though over time.

Jim, yes. I remember that noised around about S30V. Then later it mostly quieted down. The powder steels with vanadium need a different heat treating.
Still, they are some of the best steels. Agreed, longer time sharpening = longer edge holding. As long as somethings not going on like a thick edge. DM

Jim, yes. I remember that noised around about S30V. Then later it mostly quieted down. The powder steels with vanadium need a different heat treating.
Still, they are some of the best steels. Agreed, longer time sharpening = longer edge holding. As long as somethings not going on like a thick edge. DM

I think it got a bad rap as those of use who always had and used SIC stones didn't have any issues dealing with S30V, it's the ones with those old plain oil stones trying to sharpen it that had most of the issues.

That and using the factory edges, still even today we hear about problems with different steels only to find the person was using the out of box edge.

I thought you were carrying the Manix2 s110v.

This thread has given me good information re cts-xhp steel. I m more interested in it since I found out about the Cold Steel upgrades to this steel in some of their models. I was able to handle some Cold Steel knives for the first time at my local B and M store and I was very impressed with the build quality and apparent strength. These new upgrades might make fine work knives. Hope the Cold Steel heat treatment is good.

I think it got a bad rap as those of use who always had and used SIC stones didn't have any issues dealing with S30V, it's the ones with those old plain oil stones trying to sharpen it that had most of the issues.
That and using the factory edges, still even today we hear about problems with different steels only to find the person was using the out of box edge.

Jim, your insights cause me to have hope in these new comers to knives. DM

Umm, not to say you're wrong Ankerson but I just checked your " Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope" and the CTS-XHP Military ranked in "Category 4" while S30V ranked in "Category 5". So correct me if I'm wrong but that means that CTS-XHP performed better than S30V. It should also be noted that according to your data in that thread they were both right around 60HRC. However, with a toothy edge, S30V did do better. 300 cuts vs 240 for XHP.

Here's the thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...based-on-Edge-Retention-cutting-5-8-quot-rope

I'm just curious why you would say that CTS-XHP performs worse than S30V when you have statistical evidence that says otherwise?

Umm, not to say you're wrong Ankerson but I just checked your " Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope" and the CTS-XHP Military ranked in "Category 4" while S30V ranked in "Category 5". So correct me if I'm wrong but that means that CTS-XHP performed better than S30V. It should also be noted that according to your data in that thread they were both right around 60HRC. However, with a toothy edge, S30V did do better. 300 cuts vs 240 for XHP.

Here's the thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...based-on-Edge-Retention-cutting-5-8-quot-rope

I'm just curious why you would say that CTS-XHP performs worse than S30V when you have statistical evidence that says otherwise?

He gives much more credit if you will to the coarse edge section. Read the explanation on the first page more in depth. He explains it pretty well. XHP does do better with a polished edge imo.

He gives much more credit if you will to the coarse edge section. Read the explanation on the first page more in depth. He explains it pretty well. XHP does do better with a polished edge imo.

I did make note in my post that S30V performs better with a toothy edge.

Right, Ankerson's pretty clear in his testing what exactly the scenario is. You can't just take a single test's results and then assume it's uniform across the board.

try XHP at HRC 60.5. Really, counter intuitive, but true

XHP is a really good performer and can get hair popping on basic ceramic stones, I’ve never needed to use any kind of diamond or SiC on it, S30V definitely needs diamonds for major work and any S series above that for sure.

Keep in mind though that the corrosion resistance on XHP is not as good, it’s more like a semi-stainless.

I have a C-36 Military model with XHP. Now I do like my M390 Military a bit better but I do keep the XHP Millie as a back-up just in case anything were to happen to the M390 Millie that I EDC quite a bit.

I've also found XHP to be a really good steel for serrated blades. I find that interesting because not all of these upper tier blade steels are good for serrated blade. Because ZDP-189 was a disaster for SE blades for instance.

Back