Curious

Well that's going to be more in the future probably... but for now, I'm making a few of these small fixed blades for a buddy (knife for him and some of his family members influenced by another knifemaker's design), 2.5" blade

i-5XPFL7C-1903x1070.jpg

And 4 of these paring knives, 2 are for family but I was gonna see how the other's did selling to feel out the market and see if I should make more (4.5" blade)

i-GmS4zqV-1903x1070.jpg

They are already laser cut, just waiting to get a batch of BM 940 reblades in M390 milled on the outer rim before I get everything back. (note: I have a license from Spyderco for the spydie hole)

i-DdFCRhm-X2.jpg

Other than that I'm trying to find time to get a design dialed in for a collab one off fixed blade w/ a friend (pterodactyl knives), here are a few of the design ideas, lmk what you guys think. just some quick sketches

i-6RjBN2D.jpg
i-qLS2vJq.jpg
i-txZZt9X.jpg
i-TzkVPWj.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to post the sketches, I like #1 and #3.

Not so much on #2 and #4, I've never cared for handles that taper towards the butt like that, always makes me feel like the knife is trying to squirt out of my hand.

Reactions: mb>
Thanks for taking the time to post the sketches, I like #1 and #3.

Not so much on #2 and #4, I've never cared for handles that taper towards the butt like that, always makes me feel like the knife is trying to squirt out of my hand.
OK thanks for the input, I was struggling with the handle design lol, have to think that through more

I was surprised by the handle ergos of the Cold Steel AD10. You might want to try that for ideas. The convex scales and grip stops front and back make it a joy to hold. It's about as wide as my Rukus 610 handle, but more comfortable. It has a nice feel -- soft and hard at the same time.

was working on the CAD file today for the collab project, decided to combine some of what I've heard from differing opinions... what do you guys think? gonna massage it a bit more probably but it's mostly done

If you want to pan around a 3D version CLICK HERE

i-wvxXrWf-1903x1070.jpg

i-cDwj5SK.jpg
i-pHPNFbq.jpg
i-SWPstr8.jpg
DAAAAAAAMN! Looks both very capable and badass. I’d love to feel that handle. Looks to have great ergos. What’s the thickness at the ricasso going to be? Very nice!!!!

DAAAAAAAMN! Looks both very capable and badass. I’d love to feel that handle. Looks to have great ergos. What’s the thickness at the ricasso going to be? Very nice!!!!
thanks bro! Not sure what you mean by thickness at the ricasso... the stock thickness will likely be around 3/16" unless I hear overwhelming objections lol

was working on the CAD file today for the collab project, decided to combine some of what I've heard from differing opinions... what do you guys think? gonna massage it a bit more probably but it's mostly done

i-wvxXrWf-1903x1070.jpg

i-cDwj5SK.jpg
i-pHPNFbq.jpg
i-SWPstr8.jpg
I'm good with this... sign me up :)

No objection here on the stock thickness... 3/16"

thanks bro! Not sure what you mean by thickness at the ricasso... the stock thickness will likely be around 3/16" unless I hear overwhelming objections lol
Thanks for the info. That’s the number I was asking about by referring to thickness at the ricasso. Some makers now start with a certain stock thickness, but through stock removal/machining, make the entire piece thinner to begin with, if their exact desired thickness is not widely manufactured/available. That’s why I’ve changed the way I ask that particular question.

Thanks for the info. That’s the number I was asking about by referring to thickness at the ricasso. Some makers now start with a certain stock thickness, but through stock removal/machining, make the entire piece thinner to begin with, if their exact desired thickness is not widely manufactured/available. That’s why I’ve changed the way I ask that particular question.

I will either start w/ a thicker piece so once it's ground it will be 3/16", or I will start w/ a .187" piece and leave the rolled milled finish on it to keep costs down for you guys.

I will either start w/ a thicker piece so once it's ground it will be 3/16", or I will start w/ a .187" piece and leave the rolled milled finish on it to keep costs down for you guys.
Sounds awesome! The latter (leaving the rolled mill finish on some .187) would get my personal worthless vote, understanding that the less grinding/stock removal you need to do, the nicer the pricing can be :)

ETA: It’s a winner for sure! Looking forward to the chance to preorder

i-wvxXrWf-1903x1070.jpg

i-cDwj5SK.jpg
i-pHPNFbq.jpg
i-SWPstr8.jpg

Depending on intended use, putting the intersection point of the primary grind, blade tip, and swedge meeting at the tip should create a stronger cross-section at the tip for stabbing or prying duties, if abuse is something that may occur. I think that's what you have going on in sketches 3 & 4 above.

This rendition looks like it would be a devilish slicer.

I think the thumb ramp and choil are nice touches how they're a bit on the subtle side. I do wonder if the thumb ramp should be a touch more forward as it seems, for me at least, that the thumb ramp slightly in front of finger choil is the most comfortable, as compared to directly in line with each other. With the less-aggressively curved thumb ramp, compared to spyderco thumb ramps, that may not matter at all though.

Overall, it looks like it would be a pretty sweet most-purpose knife, as is.

Depending on intended use, putting the intersection point of the primary grind, blade tip, and swedge meeting at the tip should create a stronger cross-section at the tip for stabbing or prying duties, if abuse is something that may occur. I think that's what you have going on in sketches 3 & 4 above.

This rendition looks like it would be a devilish slicer.

I think the thumb ramp and choil are nice touches how they're a bit on the subtle side. I do wonder if the thumb ramp should be a touch more forward as it seems, for me at least, that the thumb ramp slightly in front of finger choil is the most comfortable, as compared to directly in line with each other. With the less-aggressively curved thumb ramp, compared to spyderco thumb ramps, that may not matter at all though.

Overall, it looks like it would be a pretty sweet most-purpose knife, as is.

Thanks for chiming in!

• Tip - yeah I purposely ended the swedge short from the tip for added tip strength for prying operations, I'm thinking this will be a harder use knife. Edge thickness will probably be around .030-.035" thick bte at 15 dps, although I won't know 100% until I have it milled.
  • Thumb ramp - I am going to have this 3d printed to see how it feels in hand. I may do away w/ the finger choil and just make it a smaller 3/8" choil for sharpening, we'll see. or maybe I'll move it forward as you suggest! :)

update on this, I'm having the blade and scales 3D printed to check for feel before moving forward on anything.

I'm still considering whether to grind by hand or CNC the bevels. scales will be CNC'd so contours should be perfect.

update on this, I'm having the blade and scales 3D printed to check for feel before moving forward on anything. This isn't something you want to make a mistake on lol, a sheet of Cruwear by itself will run around $1200 and I can fit 36 blades on it.

I'm still considering whether to grind by hand or CNC the bevels. scales will be CNC'd so contours should be perfect.
While the hand ground stuff will certainly be the better looking, more ‘artistic’ option, I’d lean towards CNC’d bevels just for the potential savings in terms of your valuable time & the final cost to the end user. Plus, it’d make it more expedient to produce some more runs in the future to meet demand, in my fairly ignorant way of thinking

While the hand ground stuff will certainly be the better looking, more ‘artistic’ option, I’d lean towards CNC’d bevels just for the potential savings in terms of your valuable time & the final cost to the end user. Plus, it’d make it more expedient to produce some more runs in the future to meet demand, in my fairly ignorant way of thinking
that mirror's my way of thinking as well. And shoot, if I wanted to I could always custom grind a few and sell them for more :) Goal for these is to keep costs down to sell for $250-325 including the sheath depending on if I hand grind or not and some other factors. still working on costs and estimates though.

Last edited:
And shoot, if I wanted to I could always custom grind a few and sell them for more :)
YES! That’s exactly what I was thinking also. The collectors and folks who want to fully appreciate your unparalleled craftsmanship would be happy to pay up a little for your hand work, while the hardcore users could get in on such an outstanding knife at an affordable price. It’s a win-win-win :)

REK Knives REK Knives
Other than the stock thickness, have you decided on any other specs, blade length, handle length, etc.?

Back