Current CASE XX quality?

MTB

So I'm looking at getting a Case knife or two to add to my collection, but first, I wanted to know this communities experiences with current production quality. I just came into possession of a NIB newer Case Scout Knife and wasn't too impressed with the fit and finish. I don't know the year of manufacture but it just seemed more utilitarian than what I expected. Maybe that's just because its a scout knife? The back springs are lighter than my Victorinoxs and the polish just wasn't what I expected after reading a bit on this forum. I figure it will be fine for work, but nothing on it catches the eye and screams wow. I am specifically looking to add the large Folding Hunter and the large Trapper to my collection. I haven't decided on scale material/color yet. Can anyone give some input on current production of these two models? I haven't found a store local to me that carries these knives yet so I will most likely have to order sight unseen. Any advice would be appreciated.

It can still be a little hit and miss with Case these days. I'd say for the most part that Case is back on track and producing consistent quality. But once in a while they still send out a clunker. It's always better to see actual pictures of the knife you're buying or even better if you can handle it in person first.

I have a 2018 Smooth antique bone Trapper and it's excellent. Great F&F, smooth pulls, good snap, flush back springs. Other than the shield falling out in my pocket after about 1.5 hours of ownership it's excellent! Seems to be a familiar song with recent Case. Case recommended Loctite gel CA glue, worked perfectly. It might be in my pocket for Trapper Tuesday tomorrow, will post a pic if it is.

Edit: If you're not married to those 2 patterns, the one Case knife everyone that has one raves about is the Tribal Lock. I love mine, and there are 2 guys on here who know far more about knives than I do that just got one and love theirs also. Available in SS or CV. Any of the Bose designs I've see have been on the upper end in terms of quality.

In my limited experience the biggest variability I've seen in recent production models (say, 2014 - 2018) has been in blade centering. Sometimes you can get one that is way off. As far as matching covers (pile vs. mark side), I'm sort of convinced that non-matching covers is "a feature, not a bug," ;) although most are pretty good. (It would probably add a lot of cost to mass produced knives to ensure every one had a perfect match.) Edges usually come quite sharp but sometimes with a bit of a burr that is easily removed, and sometimes the grind can be a little asymmetric. I've been generally pleased with color, cover-to-bolster transitions, bone/stag quality, and other aspects of appearance and F&F. For a mass-produced knife in this price range the only thing that would cause me to reject a knife is really bad blade centering (YMMV).

Thanks for the quick responses! Sounds like I can take a chance on one(or two). I assumed an $85 Hunter would have better F&F compared to a lower dollar Case. I think the thing that bugs me most with the Case Scout Knife I got is that there is no snap when you open any of the blades. It just kinda mushes into place. I want a USA traditional knife, but I want that Victorinox snap when I open a blade.

Case typically does good work, and most of my most recent purchases have been satisfactory. If there are issues its usually off center blades, poor dye jobs and too high of a polish leaving things excessively rounded off, including blade tips.

If I held everyone to Victorinox's standard however, I'd be left disappointed. No one comes close to being so consistent in my opinion, and the Alox SAKs especially set the standard for walk and talk.

I assumed an $85 Hunter would have better F&F compared to a lower dollar Case.
I don't think that spending more guarantees a better F&F.
My advice, buy from someone that will exchange it if you're not satisfied.
But like others have said, their F&F has been improving a lot in the last year or so.

True. I learned that lesson with my Benchmade 943.

I think I’m going to be looking around more for a local dealer. Someone told me Tractor Supply carries Case knives some times. I’m going to check them out this weekend.

True. I learned that lesson with my Benchmade 943.

I think I’m going to be looking around more for a local dealer. Someone told me Tractor Supply carries Case knives some times. I’m going to check them out this weekend.
Some dealers carry a much larger selection than others. You may be able to locate Case dealers through their website.

Amen to this. I can't see any reason to buy a scout-style knife that's not a Victorinox.

-- Mark
I don't think Case really makes many, if any, scout knives. Their Hobo Knife probably comes closest. But I love the Case jigged bone covers. The only things I don't like about Victorinox are the plastic covers on most of their knives, and the key ring attachment.

I only have six Case knives, but I am happy with them. Four were made within the last two or three years; one was a little earlier, but within the last decade, I think; and one in 1990. I do like to inspect them personally, though. Case knives are a good value.

Amen to this. I can't see any reason to buy a scout-style knife that's not a Victorinox.

-- Mark

I just got the Case Scout Knife because it was $20. I figured I’d buy that before I bought an $85 knife just to see what quality was like. Honestly for $20 I like it. SAKs are superior though. lol

I don't think Case really makes many, if any, scout knives. Their Hobo Knife probably comes closest. But I love the Case jigged bone covers. The only things I don't like about Victorinox are the plastic covers on most of their knives, and the key ring attachment.

I only have six Case knives, but I am happy with them. Four were made within the last two or three years; one was a little earlier, but within the last decade, I think; and one in 1990. I do like to inspect them personally, though. Case knives are a good value.

I don’t think they make one now, but they used to. I don’t know how to tell the year. After talking to everyone here, I’m not too worried about getting a new Folding Hunter or a Trapper. I’ll also check out the Tribal Lock that was recommended.

Thanks again everyone for to input!

These type of threads come up a lot about CASE and they do rather puzzle me. Being a very large producer of Traditional knives it might be expected that there are variations in quality, there are but I don't feel I've ever had a really poor CASE knife. Should add that I'm not an American and don't reside in the USA so I can't hand pick my knives but have to take a chance. Once or twice I've had to return a knife as being not up to my standard and in both cases the dealer and CASE came up with excellent replacements, no quibbling, I regard that as very good indeed.

I think there is a lot of nostalgia for old CASE knives, mostly correct as many had beautiful bone, but if the quality was higher in fit I'm uncertain.

Well, this arrived earlier this year and I CANNOT find fault, beautiful small but credible carry. CASE Swayback Gent cv Chestnut Bone

KtsPFM6.jpg

This came a few weeks later, CASE Slimline Trapper in Old Redbone (slightly tea dyed it's true) but 1st class F&F, no gaps, no play, centre blade, great W&T. Now if I can take these risks in Europe on buying CASE you Americans should have little to fear:D

ifQPHEf.jpg

So I'm looking at getting a Case knife or two to add to my collection, but first, I wanted to know this communities experiences with current production quality. I just came into possession of a NIB newer Case Scout Knife and wasn't too impressed with the fit and finish. I don't know the year of manufacture but it just seemed more utilitarian than what I expected. Maybe that's just because its a scout knife? The back springs are lighter than my Victorinoxs and the polish just wasn't what I expected after reading a bit on this forum. I figure it will be fine for work, but nothing on it catches the eye and screams wow. I am specifically looking to add the large Folding Hunter and the large Trapper to my collection. I haven't decided on scale material/color yet. Can anyone give some input on current production of these two models? I haven't found a store local to me that carries these knives yet so I will most likely have to order sight unseen. Any advice would be appreciated.

Unless it was a very old Case Scout Knife (pattern 6445 actually made by Case) it was a Case made by Camillus (640045) until Camillus closed about ten years ago. The Junior Case Scout Knife was a contract knife made by Queen until they closed. Cannot judge a modern Case Knife by any Scout Knife model under the Case name in the last thirty years or so. The other Case Knife patterns, the ones they make in their own plant, do vary, but there a many, many good ones out there. For this reason I like to pick my own (just like with the Buck 300 series and some models of GEC pocketknives). OH

Unless it was a very old Case Scout Knife (pattern 6445 actually made by Case) it was a Case made by Camillus (640045) until Camillus closed about ten years ago. The Junior Case Scout Knife was a contract knife made by Queen until they closed. Cannot judge a modern Case Knife by any Scout Knife model under the Case name in the last thirty years or so. The other Case Knife patterns, the ones they make in their own plant, do vary, but there a many, many good ones out there. For this reason I like to pick my own (just like with the Buck 300 series and some models of GEC pocketknives). OH

This! 640045. That is the # on my scout. Good to know it’s not Cases usual quality! Thank you very much.

Last edited:
These type of threads come up a lot about CASE and they do rather puzzle me. Being a very large producer of Traditional knives it might be expected that there are variations in quality, there are but I don't feel I've ever had a really poor CASE knife. Should add that I'm not an American and don't reside in the USA so I can't hand pick my knives but have to take a chance. Once or twice I've had to return a knife as being not up to my standard and in both cases the dealer and CASE came up with excellent replacements, no quibbling, I regard that as very good indeed.

I think there is a lot of nostalgia for old CASE knives, mostly correct as many had beautiful bone, but if the quality was higher in fit I'm uncertain.

Well, this arrived earlier this year and I CANNOT find fault, beautiful small but credible carry. CASE Swayback Gent cv Chestnut Bone

KtsPFM6.jpg

This came a few weeks later, CASE Slimline Trapper in Old Redbone (slightly tea dyed it's true) but 1st class F&F, no gaps, no play, centre blade, great W&T. Now if I can take these risks in Europe on buying CASE you Americans should have little to fear:D

ifQPHEf.jpg
Beautiful specimens, Will.

Back