Current CASE XX quality?

I bought a AG Russell Sowbelly Trapper. It is nicely finished. I was disappointed with the knife and feel it is unsafe to use. I need a stiffer spring or i am not happy. I won't carry it.

If you ever do want to take a chance on a knife from China then get yourself one of A.G. Russell's China made slip joints.

They are more expensive than Rough Ryders but you won't be disappointed. In fact, you'll probably be impressed. I know I am.
Nope,not me. I don't want any knife made in China. I don't care who makes it or how good they are said to be. Out side of some of my kitchen knives which were made by true Japanese masters, all my other knives are made in the good old U.S of A. At 72 years old, I am not about to change my mind.

Nope,not me. I don't want any knife made in China. I don't care who makes it or how good they are said to be. Out side of some of my kitchen knives which were made by true Japanese masters, all my other knives are made in the good old U.S of A. At 72 years old, I am not about to change my mind.
Acknowledged.:)

I think at 72 years old you can be pretty discriminating when choosing your knives. I have many knives and am not lacking for users if I choose to bring a new one out. I particularly like GEC's, but they are more expensive than Case slip joints. I have been very impressed with the stag Case Peanut I purchased last year (or was it the year before?). Still feels new to me. I have carried it and it has been gently used overall.

This Peanut was the knife I chose to carry and use to decide if I wanted to downsize my regular carry knife. I ended up choosing a Vic Small Tinker (~$20) as my regular carry as it does 95% of the cutting I do day to day. Prior to that, I was most happy with a slip joint with a closed length of about 4 inches.

That has not been my experience with RR slip joints. Maybe my standards aren't as high as yours? I do know that I was very unimpressed with Chinese made Frost slip joints. They are truly gas station knives for the most part (or at least the 5 or so I have purchased were and I looked at a lot of them before I bought one at their store). I won't buy another one.

There are no guarantees that an inexpensive knife will be a good knife. The Case knife I have that was in the $30 range was the yellow delrin trapper. I just don't care for plastic handles regardless. My latest Case that I bought new was in the mid-$80 range (stag peanut). There are lots of Case knives in the $50-$60 area if I recall correctly and the jigged bone peanuts or similar run in the $40's. I have grown to really like the smaller slip joints for regular carry. My choice is the Vic Small Tinker.

Added: I visit the Smoky Mt NP relatively often and visit the big knife store that sells RR's about three times a year. I resist visiting quite frankly as I know that I will be spending money. KSF is also handy for me.
I'm not going to spend much time on the RR topic... It's a Case thread and I don't want to be seen as the Anti-RR guy.
But I will say that I've been able to buy a bunch of Case medium frame knives, new in-box or like-new, for $35 shipped or less.

Back