Current model info for the Field Knife.

That is the butterscotch which should have aged more a little more brownish or darker by now.

It was part of the vintage unique knives, so you will not have the chance to order that one again AFAIK :)

Boy that one and the color above it are spectacular !!!!!!

Guess I'll be going for the orange / black g10 :)

Duramax, I am pretty sure the one above the butterscotch is getting delivered to me tomorrow.

Duramax, I am pretty sure the one above the butterscotch is getting delivered to me tomorrow.

That is a great score bud. I think yours is my favorite scale of any pictured, with the Westinghouse right there close to it. I hope we see some more natural micartas. If so, I might spring for an fde or coyote sheath aftermarket.

Hey that's great !!!!! Nice score congrats !!! If you would be so kind to post some pics, please:thumbup:
So what is that color called and is it still available ?

Can anyone confirm: Are the top scales in this picture the ones referred to as 'brown micarta?'

7.jpg~original

Last edited:
It's the only pic I have at the moment.
I had messaged [Nathan?] yesterday and was told it was one of 3 in that handle option I think unless he was referring to the antique series of 3 already pictured earlier.
I just was at the right place at the right time and lucked out with this one, pretty excited to see it in person.
13521953_1037786152941634_7309040381249490385_n_zps0dtllazd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's the only pic I have at the moment.
I had messaged [Nathan?] yesterday and was told it was one of 3 in that handle option I think unless he was referring to the antique series of 3 already pictured earlier.
I just was at the right place at the right time and lucked out with this one, pretty excited to see it in person.

It's confusing to me as well, the scales look like the unknown source vintage micarta, bit the fasteners are wrong. Maybe the previous owner just changed them out. You will find out soon enough!

Congrats stumbling across an awesome knife, no matter what it turns out to be!

"Psybull "

Thanks for the pic !!!! Awesome knife congrats !!

duramax, I think that nice deep brown was from the 'round stock' micarta, and possibly the last of it.

Can anyone confirm: Are the top scales in this picture the ones referred to as 'brown micarta?'

7.jpg~original

Those in that picture are all current modern materials. The micarta was manufactured by "Accurate" here in Americia. It's best modern material I've found, with good dimensional stability and no soft spots. It's hard, strong and consistent which makes a better scale and makes my life easier. Using the good stuff adds a couple bucks to the cost of a knife, which in my mind is pretty trivial and well worth it.

From the top:
natural micarta
black micarta
black G10
OD green G10
Blue G10
Black and brown G10
Black and OD green G10
Black and toxic green G10
Black and orange G10

I don't know who made this dark brown stuff:

13521953_1037786152941634_7309040381249490385_n_zps0dtllazd.jpg

It came in a large already machined bar that I broke down for scales. I have a lot more of it, I just need to process it into workable bits.

The oxidation coloring penetrated very deep so I believe it's older than dirt. To me, the colors look a lot like this:

I'm pretty confident that's is very old material, so in my opinion it is quite possibly Westinghouse, but its pedigree is unknown. Pretty though. And just as easy to process edge grain, which is a cool look that I want to do more of.

Ah, awesome. I would love to know where they came from, we have been looking for something similar!

The Devil is here. Those are my pics. I ordered the knife on Jan 8th and those are the antique micarta with black G10 liners. Originally screws do not do the knife justice.
Only reason for selling is saving for a house, I make knives and the knife was too pretty for the way I thrash stuff.

Thanks for the info, I hope you reach your goal, let me go over to the other post you made and see if I can help!

Thanks for the confirmation Nathan. Those darker brown micartas really look nice. Interesting to hear a little background on some of them. Thanks.

Does anyone have any knowledge or examples/experience with what to expect with respect to corrosion resistance with the new ht?

Back