Current New York/NYC laws

Unfortunately, I have to make occasional trips to NY and NYC. Legal battles, new laws etc. are unclear to me. Is there ANYTHING legal to carry in NYC without a REASON to carry it? Fixed? Folder? Locking? Non locking? Concealed carry? Open carry? Length?

Or, should I stick with a 500 lumen pocket flashlight?

Can't attest to the strict legality of things because I haven't checked the laws carefully. That said, I always carry a SAK because I always have a valid reason to carry it: it is a multitool and is always helpful in daily life!

In NYC the knife can not be visible ( no exposed pocket clip even), blade under 4", and the gravity knife state law has been removed. Rest of NYS ( and NYC) switchblades are banned ( unless fishing/Hunting/trapping with license), stilettoes, daggers and "dangerous knives" can't be carried......Stick to eh SAK.....

In NYC the knife can not be visible ( no exposed pocket clip even)

I forgot this part and it very important. The knife must be concealed. An exposed clip as been considered as open-carry, which will likely get you into trouble.

I shudder when I think of NYC knife laws...

Many years ago, I was visiting my sister in NYC. She took me to the newly-opened observation deck on Rockefeller Center ("Top of the Rock"). After paying the admission price and heading up, the elevator stopped part way at a security check point, just like at an airport, with x-ray. You had to empty your pockets and put the stuff in a bin for x-ray. When I was emptying my pockets, I realized I was carrying a Microtech Mini SOCOM Elite auto. I must have forgot to rotate it out of my EDC after hunting season...

Instant panic. I put the knife in the tray and covered it with my wallet, car keys, etc. and put it on the conveyor. It went through the x-ray machine and the operator never took a second look. PHEW!!!

As was mentioned previously, to be legal, make sure your pocket knife has a blade under 4" and be sure it's in your pocket, not clipped.

OK, so under 4 inches and totally concealed with no pocket clip showing.

Is a locking blade OK?

Locking is OK, AFAIK.

There was an issue several years ago where some people were having problems with folders that could be shaken open; even knives that are considered two-hand openers would be considered illegal "gravity knives" if the cop could somehow get them to open up by holding the top of the blade and violently shaking the knife downward, etc.

Things got downright ridiculous regarding anti-knife law enforcement in the city when Cyrus Vance Jr. became the city DA. In response, one of the biggest and best known knife shows in the country was moved by promoters from its usual Plaza Hotel NYC location across the border to NJ.

I think the laws changed and/or they got past that, and things are not as threatening for knife carrying folks these days. If you really want to be careful, I would play it safe and carry the most innocuous-looking, utility-minded kind of knife I had, like a SAK of some sort.

If I was carrying a knife in NYC, I’d make sure it was one of my Victorinox’s and be sure it’s well concealed within the pocket. Another thing to be aware of, even if you have no clip exposed, if you’re wearing a shirt made of really light fabric and the shape of items in your pocket can be made out from a few feet away, be careful. I’ve heard cops in the city have stopped folks for even the outlines of the knife in their pocket being visible!

Locking is OK as the issue with that was the gravity knife charge if it could be flicked open. The law was changed to remove gravity knives from the illegal knife list BUT they are still banned on NYC buses and subways.

I shudder when I think of NYC knife laws...

Many years ago, I was visiting my sister in NYC. She took me to the newly-opened observation deck on Rockefeller Center ("Top of the Rock"). After paying the admission price and heading up, the elevator stopped part way at a security check point, just like at an airport, with x-ray. You had to empty your pockets and put the stuff in a bin for x-ray. When I was emptying my pockets, I realized I was carrying a Microtech Mini SOCOM Elite auto. I must have forgot to rotate it out of my EDC after hunting season...

Instant panic. I put the knife in the tray and covered it with my wallet, car keys, etc. and put it on the conveyor. It went through the x-ray machine and the operator never took a second look. PHEW!!!

As was mentioned previously, to be legal, make sure your pocket knife has a blade under 4" and be sure it's in your pocket, not clipped.
Isn't it sad that we have to live in fear of the State?

Long time Brooklyn resident here. There’s much to say about nyc knife laws and the recent changes with regards to “gravity knives”. Many have chimed in and are correct with the headlines of less than 4” blade and no “brandishing” including pocket clip.

My two cents......

Without sparking a ton of non PC debate here. There’s a reason why the NYPD and Mayor clung onto the gravity knife interpretation for as long as they did. Very similar to “broken windows” and “window tint” policies. It’s a shame but most of the time people who got wrapped up in knife charges for “brandishing” (often just having the picket clip of a folder they used for work exposed) were perhaps targeted unfairly and/or suspected of other crimes which the knife charges were added to. Most of the time this occurred in public transportation areas (subway).

What am I saying? Without debating police tactics and right v. wrong....

I have had NO ISSUE carrying folders of 4” or less in NYC for years and years now. I almost always use the pocket clip. I do make sure they’re not auto or assisted. But I don’t worry about it too much beyond that.

If I’m ever going to a super populated event (concerts etc back before covid) I would either leave my knife at home. Or minimally carry it in a slip in my pocket.

You can also 100% legally carry something like a guardian 3 in scout. Hope this helps. Be safe and not careless.....but don’t overthink it.

I have had NO ISSUE carrying folders of 4” or less in NYC for years and years now. I almost always use the pocket clip. I do make sure they’re not auto or assisted. But I don’t worry about it too much beyond that.

If I’m ever going to a super populated event (concerts etc back before covid) I would either leave my knife at home. Or minimally carry it in a slip in my pocket.

You can also 100% legally carry something like a guardian 3 in scout. Hope this helps. Be safe and not careless.....but don’t overthink it.
Were you able to eneter these super populated events with your knife? Here in California you are usually required to empty your pockets into a tray then walk through a metal detector at the entrance of larger venues. Once at a Monster Truck Show they wouldn't let my son in with a back pack with his school books in it. But they offered to let us rent a locker for $10. So all the way back to the car.

Were you able to eneter these super populated events with your knife? Here in California you are usually required to empty your pockets into a tray then walk through a metal detector at the entrance of larger venues. Once at a Monster Truck Show they wouldn't let my son in with a back pack with his school books in it. But they offered to let us rent a locker for $10. So all the way back to the car.

Hey...yeah to be clear I wouldn't try to take a knife into a yankees game or something. But I was more so referring to going to a local concert or even like walking around in Grand Central station where I know a lot of eyes / security / police presence will be. Basically, those are the only times I am reluctant to leave my pocket clip exposed.

Peter, the NYC Admin Code is the one to be concerned about with exposed carry of a knife. Since the gravity knife law was changed, knife arrest have dropped.

Peter, the NYC Admin Code is the one to be concerned about with exposed carry of a knife. Since the gravity knife law was changed, knife arrest have dropped.

Yep, blade length and clip exposed...I think my basic point was just that for the most part you should be fine unless you're really acting a fool and drawing attention to yourself.

Back