Current New York/NYC laws

I like fixed blade < 4" and not terribly scary looking. I think a design like this David Mary David Mary Custom works really well when (easily!) concealed. I worked with David to spec it out, which is great when you have all sorts of different knife laws in whatever jurisdiction you live in... and would heartily recommend him for making a great custom and legal fixed blade.

Attachments

• EDC_May 2021.jpeg
    EDC_May 2021.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 10
Intent is a huge part of NY knife laws. You cannot carry for self defense purposes. You can carry if it’s a tool you use for work. You can use it in a self defense scenario, but not acknowledge that you were carrying for those purposes. That being said, I carry everyday in NYC with pocket clip exposed. YMMV. NY weapon laws are purposely vague so they can use them against you. I don’t recall reading about a designated max length. Generally, the NYPD are very fair. If you’re a decent person most likely you’ll be ok carrying. Using it is a different scenario. Like I said, YMMV.

Intent is a huge part of NY knife laws. You cannot carry for self defense purposes. You can carry if it’s a tool you use for work. You can use it in a self defense scenario, but not acknowledge that you were carrying for those purposes. That being said, I carry everyday in NYC with pocket clip exposed. YMMV. NY weapon laws are purposely vague so they can use them against you. I don’t recall reading about a designated max length. Generally, the NYPD are very fair. If you’re a decent person most likely you’ll be ok carrying. Using it is a different scenario. Like I said, YMMV.
Can't agree with this. The NYC Admin Code limits blade length to 4" or less. It is a violation of the Admin Code to have the knife exposed which includes a pocket clip. There is an exception for going to and from work if the knife is used for work. Before the recent change in the NYS law on gravity knives, the CPW 4 arrest was done on the basis of 10,000 per year.
The part you state as carry for self defense is correct as that in itself makes it a dangerous knife and therefore a violation, but the design of the knife can also deem it to be a dangerous knife.
There are still knife arrests being made, but they are not as frequent since the gravity knife law changed.

Can carry as mentioned above, but NOT on public transportation.

Weapons, dangerous instruments, or any other items intended for use as a weapon may not be carried anywhere within the NYC Transit System.

Mitch nice link. I notice they don't mention NYS PL 265.20 #6 which allows for the possession and limited carry of switchblades for use while fishing/hunting/trapping.

NYC is pretty strict. You can fish, but no hunting. They had a massive deer sterilization program in Staten Island.

Yes, we have officially entered into Bizarro Land. You say tomato, I say tamato. I have personally witnessed a Police Officer tell someone that they were not allowed to possess a knife with a blade over 3.5" & then hold it across his palm & say "it's clearly illegal" & said "you're lucky I don't arrest you" & walked away with a $200+ knife. Now, I have small hands and they measure exactly 3.5" across the palm. That Officers hands were much bigger than mine & the blade didn't even come close to the edge of his palm. But who wants to get arrested, right ? Point being, it's not really the law sometimes, as much as it is the discretion, truthfulness or lack thereof, of the individual Officer. I live in Western NY, farm country. I am a retired LEO and glad of it. You could not pay me enough to be one now. Soon, there will probably be none anymore.

Yes, we have officially entered into Bizarro Land. You say tomato, I say tamato. I have personally witnessed a Police Officer tell someone that they were not allowed to possess a knife with a blade over 3.5" & then hold it across his palm & say "it's clearly illegal" & said "you're lucky I don't arrest you" & walked away with a $200+ knife. Now, I have small hands and they measure exactly 3.5" across the palm. That Officers hands were much bigger than mine & the blade didn't even come close to the edge of his palm. But who wants to get arrested, right ? Point being, it's not really the law sometimes, as much as it is the discretion, truthfulness or lack thereof, of the individual Officer. I live in Western NY, farm country. I am a retired LEO and glad of it. You could not pay me enough to be one now. Soon, there will probably be none anymore.
Right on point. The term dangerous knife can mean anything too. Having also been in LE in NY, I can't stand when a knife ( or any possession) is taken and not properly vouchered but kept as STOLEN PROPERTY by the officer.....People seem to think it is OK for an officer to keep certain things as the price for not being arrested. I always felt if you took someone's possession from them and choose not to arrest them, you had to voucher the item NOT take it for personal use.

Several of my friends are still active duty and counting the days to leave...Sad as many of them were active and cared but not anymore.....

If you absolutely cannot avoid going to NYC... don't go anyway! 🙀
But if you do: just don't get caught with it!
(Whatever "it" happens to be)
F.F. Mini-Archbishop

Back