• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Cutlery Corner Network knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently 're-discovered' knives - and I have a question relative to the 'mass offerings' I see on Cutlery Corner Network hosted by Tom O'dell.

I purchased a Spyderco and a Case knife. They were expensive - really expensive.

Yet, on this late-night television show, I see carload lots of every knife imaginable for an amount that translates into maybe $2-5 per knife.

Are these mass offerings legit, or are they 'cheap knives' that look good - or, am I nuts to even pose this query?

James

In short, they're junk. Your Spyderco, whichever model, is going to serve you much better than those flea market ripoffs. If you feel the Spydie and the Case were really expensive, do yourself a favor and don't ask anybody here what they paid for their Sebenza. :eek:

They are cheap knives that look good. The steel is 420J if I am not mistaken, and this is about as bad a knife steel as there is. These knives are worth what is being asked for them, but since that is so little, that doesn't really say much.

I do like the look of the stag on some of their knives though.

Some of them are not too bad, but most of the folders are not good quality. Little things like no detent on the liner lock folders (ouch!), and the fit + finish isn't very good. Some of the edges of the blades missed the QC guy or something, but all mass produced items can have that problem.
Some of the models I would like to see, but I don't need 20 copies of it, or the 300 other knives to go with it.
Even if it comes out to $2-5 per, after 200 knives thats still at least $400 + shipping, you can get 2 or 3 hella good knives (or 7 or 8 really decent ones) that you will use for that kind of cash.

good luck
Ben

TorzJohnson said:
If you feel the Spydie and the Case were really expensive, do yourself a favor and don't ask anybody here what they paid for their Sebenza. :eek:
WOW! I went to newgraham.com and looked at their Chris Reeve knives. Awesome! I had no idea a folder could command such prices. They are truly beautiful. So beautiful, one might be reluctant to 'use' one.

James

The knives would embarass a carnival game worker. A lockback that takes 2 thumbs to work. $12 shipping for a $20 purchase that took 9 days to get to Phoenix. Their 2 for 1 could be 10 for 1 and still cheat you. A fixed blade that has to be pried out of the sheath. No refund of shipping costs either way. So much for their 30 day money back guarantee.

I've recently 're-discovered' knives - and I have a question relative to the 'mass offerings' I see on Cutlery Corner Network hosted by Tom O'dell.

I purchased a Spyderco and a Case knife. They were expensive - really expensive.

Yet, on this late-night television show, I see carload lots of every knife imaginable for an amount that translates into maybe $2-5 per knife.

Are these mass offerings legit, or are they 'cheap knives' that look good - or, am I nuts to even pose this query?

James

The Romans said, "Caveat Emptor!" (Let the buyer beware.)
16th century Englishman Thomas Tusser said, "A fool and his money are soon parted."
The New England shopkeepers said, "All goods worth price charged."
Ice T said, "Oh HELL no!"

back away from the TV, lad.

Tom O'dell is a show in himself.

Cutlery Corner sells a few Case and Hen & Rooster's
Hen & Rooster is owned by Jim Frost

i get a kick outta seeing what they can come up with during the show.
T.V. is lame.
if i hav'ta watch this junk :rolleyes: because there is not anything better
on , what does this say about this culture.

MHO
buzz

[QUOTE

James[/QUOTE]

Cutlery Corner network is great. I listen to their show at night when it's on, when I'm trying to fall to sleep. I find their thick Tennessee drawls to be soothing, and it works better than Nyquil. Try it!

As for their knives, although I have never and will never buy from them on principal, they do occaisionally offer Case and Gerber and other brands, but the prices on those knives are nothing to write home about.

Some people like the Steel Warrior knives, but still, buying from Frost Cutlery would be like buying a Yugo car. It might get the job done, but just barely and you'll look like a tool if someone sees you with one.

They offer 100 knives for $100 every show. Now ask yourself, how good can a $1.00 knife be?

Cutlery Corner has infiltrated Cox Cable Santa Barbara:(:barf:
I've come to the conclusion a lot of people like SHINY knives
Every shot of is a glistening blade
And then they turn the blade to get even more glistening...

An guy I worked with used to watch this dog and pony show regularly and just giggle with glee about the great deals he had gotten. He was simply beside himself over the "jar full of knives" he had scored for about a dollar apiece.
He sold some mid-sized folders to some of the goobers at the shop and over half were looking for him within the week with complaints about handle scales that fell off or other sundry malfunctions. Oh really!?!
The stuff was junk, but this guy wouldn't have known quality if he fell over it.
I must admit however that he was kind-hearted enough to give me one of the dollar knives from the jar deal. I tried to act genuinely gratefull.
It is a mini-lockback with tiny thumb studs and a mostly serrated nearly Persian-shaped blade. I keep it with my pipe and it does a good job of reaming out the bowl and getting into tight spaces.
It's still a piece of junk, but unlike 3 out of 4 similar examples of this knife, at least the blade doesn't droop down from gravity and dangerously expose the blade when you least expect it.
Anyway, I recon that this one example of the knives sold thru this show may be the only one worth what was paid for it.
But to each his own.

Old Tom was calling 420j a "high carbon tool supersteel" the other day. You would have thought I would have laughed, but no such luck.

I guess I just don't have a sense of humor.

[SIZE=+18]Incase you guys can't read the date of the original post: 04-03-2005[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+18]Incase you guys can't read the date of the original post: 04-03-2005[/SIZE]

Yes, it's an old thread. We got it. You're not the first person to have pointed it out. However we are adding to the discussion of it, and this is likely a question that alot of new comers to the forum may have.

Anyway I also like to listen/watch it in order to fall asleep. I've also been meaning to develop some sort of drinking game around their show.

WOW! I went to newgraham.com and looked at their Chris Reeve knives. Awesome! I had no idea a folder could command such prices. They are truly beautiful. So beautiful, one might be reluctant to 'use' one.

James

Check out knifeart.com.

edited: And I don't care if this IS an old thread. It's on page 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back