Dad's 60th Birthday Folder

I was thinking a nice GEC folder, maybe a 72, 42 or the new 63 mako, maybe in a stag or blue camel blue?

It was my 60th B'day when my #1 son gave me a card and told me to open it as it might influence the knife purchase I was in line to make at my local 'sharp things emporium (Mark's Outdoors)'. He said that might change my mind as to what I would buy... enclosed was a C-note - just enough to add to my purchase $50 to pay for the new Boker Haddock which he had watched me fondle. I don't recall what I put back, but that German made Boker Haddock was the 'right' choice. The 3.3+" swept-Wharncliffe-style blade of N690 steel is hollow ground from it's 5mm stock thickness to it's razor edge. Great EDC knife - not a 'tacti-cool' knife, even if the scalloped G10 side is black. The other side of the framelock is thick Ti, while both it and the blade have a 'stonewash' finish. Extremely smooth and secure operating knife. I have carried mine a lot, but it's still a gift from #1 son - and I don't use it on just anything. It does make nice feather sticks - and will thin-slice over ripe grape tomatoes with ease... which is amazing, if not very useful. It now runs $167 - $180 shipped from the usual places.

I once hinted about a BenchMade 755 MPR, and my #1 son bought it for me. Amazing M390 blade in a POS overly-thick grip. My mistake was horrible. My son told me to sell it, but I never will. Will never carry it either. If that one G10 grip was only 0.100" thick instead of 0.200" thick, I would love the knife...once I put on a different pocket-clip that wouldn't shred my Levis.
I realize that some folks love these models, but the sweet-spot for me has always been about 0.450" thick grip, as in large CRK's. That won't change.
It's funny now, but was hard to laugh at for a long time.
Please let us know what knife you settle on...we would all love to know.
regards,

I will second the ZT 0450 it is very nice for the money , lightweight and comfortable in the pocket.

Thanks everyone for the input! I decided on the North Fork, but.......

After much deliberation, my brother (Mr. Non-Knife, "Let's get him a Gerber!", guy) had to have some influence on the decision and wanted something more modern.

My Dad absolutely loves using my Mini Grip, but the handle is a bit small for his hands. We ended up making a customized Mini Barrage for him because it is physically the best fit for him. I broke my own rule with the Valox handles and assisted opening, but he probably won't mind the scales and it can be deassisted if he really hates it. My suspicion will be that it'll grow on him.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Take a look at the Benchmade North Fork or Big/Small Summit Lake. Has a nice wood look to it.
I have a Grizzly Creek which is the bigger brother of the north fork (and has a gut hook). However, I'm not the biggest fan of the recurve blade.
Also have a Small Summit Lake. It has that more "traditional" look/function with it. Updated materials and can be opened one handed even though its supposed to be thumbnailed

Hey BF, first off I apologize if this kind of thread has been created before but I can't find anything recent that's really relevant.

My Dad turns 60 next month and I'd really like to get him a decent folder that can replace the junky old Gerber in his pocket. He's never had a good quality pocket knife and he's recently taken notice of some of my better knives. Here are the parameters I'm looking at:

• Around $150
  • No Spyderco- he thinks the hole is goofy
  • Around 3" blade
  • No assisted open
  • Should have a pocket clip but he mostly keeps his knife in his watch pocket
  • Plain edge
  • No blade coating
  • Locking blade
  • No Buck 110
  • G10, aluminum, or nicer scales (no FRN, etc.)

Ideally, I'm looking for something kind of gentlemanly but usable (not so fancy that he won't pocket it). Thanks for the suggestions!

Check these out. http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/McustaMC-5Series.html#BORDER-LEFT-COLOR:%20#ffff00;%20BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR:%20#ffff00;%20BORDER-TOP-COLOR:%20#ffff00;%20BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR:%20#ffff00
2nu6g0k.jpg

Actually, false alarm. My order got canceled by Benchmade, so now back to the drawing board. Standby for what I actually go with, it's not going to be the Mini Barrage. :D

You are going to get good quality from Benchmade and Spyderco. From Spyderco in the price range I'd suggest a Delica, slim, lightweight and a good cutter...BUT, it's got the goofy hole and frn, so forget it.
On the Benchmade side may I suggest a mini griptilian? Go for the Doug Ritter version with a bump up in price and with a higher end steel (s30v or 154cm > m390 if memory serves) and still stay within your price range. The mini grip is very easy to deploy for us older folks, and with the axis lock, easy to close. I don't know if I'd qualify it as a gentleman's knife because it's a bit on the thick side. The blade comes in at just under 3". The handle material is a polymer of some kind. If you don't like the scales, there's many after market ones out there or plenty of people here on the forums who would be pleased to supply you with what you would like. That would thus push you through your $150 barrier.
Another thought would be to check out traditional folders. That's a whole different world but very interesting and addictive.

No Spyderco- he thinks the hole is goofy

Classic line. There are some Spyderco folders without a pronounced hump for the hole in the blade.

Benchmade 707 Sequel has served me well for the past ten years. Small, thin, light, narrow and basically a practical EDC.

Last edited:
Besides the mini-grip, which knives of yours specifically has he shown an interest in?

OK, so the final decision was........

Benchmade 477-1 Emissary. It's the best fit for him with size, material, finish, quality. The only rule I broke was the assisted opening rule. If he doesn't like it, I'll just de-assist it. I have a feeling it'll grow on him.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Ya'll made my decision tough!

Gave my Pop the 477-1 tonight and he absolutely loves it. To my surprise, he really enjoys the assisted opening, and it was well worth going over budget for it. I'll say this is a win.

Good job. All fathers should have a couple of boys like you.

Now send me that beat up old Gerber. :D

Back